sweatsucks

The Official Post-ETS Results Topic

Try to not make new posts, just update your original post.

POST ONLY IF YOU FILL OUT THE SURVEY! (and if you want to add additional comments, add it at the end of the survey. Try to PM them if you need to tell them something or create a new thread.

The reason I made this thread is so we can all be organized as possible. There has been a lot of debating going on with ETS, so by being specific as possible here, it will be less confusion for everyone. Not everyone has ETS for the same reasons, thus the results also play a major difference. To someone with axillary HH or facial blushing, ETS may be considered just a "cosmetic surgery", and thus the side effects are not worth risking over; however, someone who suffer from sweaty hands is not only a cosmetic problem, but also a disability of any hands on work. Everyone needs to understand each Hyperhidrosis' perspective. This is also a good way to compare your situation with someone similar; to be honest, someone who has ETS for facial blushing is irrelevant to someone with palmar hyperhidrosis, regardless that they're both excessive sweating -- it's in completely different areas. If you haven't had the surgery yet (and comtemplating over it), see where you fit -- and you decide for yourself.

---------------------------------------------

Post here the following:

1. Where are you from? (State/Country)

2. Gender (Male/Female)

3. Age (10-19 / 20-29 / 30-39 / etc.)

4. Do you regularly smoke or drink or take drugs?

5. Are you overweight?

6. Have you had any surgeries or health problems before having the surgery? (high blood pressure, etc.)

7. What did you MAINLY have ETS for? (ie: Palmar Hyperhidrosis/Axillary/Plantar/Facial Blushing)

8. How would you rate the severity of your condition? Explain (ie: Severe/Moderate/Low. Dripping hands, changing number of socks a day, etc.)

9. Which section(s) did the doctor cut or clamp? (T2, T3, T4)

10. Any complications, if any, during the surgery? (ie: problem with collapsing the lungs, or air getting in)

11. When did you have the surgery? (Month/Year)

12. Who was your doctor? (Name/State)

13. List the positive outcome, if any, from the surgery

14. List the negative outcome, or side effects, if any, from the surgery (BE SPECIFIC! If you're unsure, please be careful from stating it as fact or an opinion; use "I think" if in doubt)

15. Are you happy with the surgery?

16. What is your nationality?

17. Does any other family member(s) suffer from the same condition?

*18 (optional). Any other comments or suggestions

1. CA, USA

2. Male

3. 20-29

4. No/No

5. No

6. Appendicitis. No other health problems.

7. Palmar Hyperhidrosis (also have axillary and plantar, but my main concern were hands)

8. Severe. My hands would constantly sweat and, in extreme situations, it would drip a lot.

9. T2 and T3 were cut

10. Some minor air got inside my left lung (so that's probably why it caused me to cough a lot after surgery. But the coughing has stopped.) I was told a tube was temporarily put on my left side of the lung

11. April 2006

12. Dr. Zusman in CA

13. I have dry smooth hands now! :D

- Compensatory sweating (minor, RARELY happens. It is only when I feel really tensed, which is normal). It mostly begins on my back and butt first.

- Some random sharp pain on my left side of the chest, tight feeling. This could be due to the extra air that got in. I think, or at least I hope, this should be temporarily, since I still have stitches on my armpits and is still early. I will try to update on this. *Update 7/26/06* The tight feeling on my chest is gone and the strange sharp pain on my left side is almost gone, but I still notice it slightly.

15. Yes

16. Asian

17. Not that I know of.

18. I've tried many things before going through with surgery. It was the ONLY thing that was truly effective. And what's great is that, I don't have to keep having periodic treatments. If you have any concerns about the surgery, let me know.

1. Where are you from? - Manitoba Canada

2. Gender - F

3. Age - 20-29

4. Do you smoke or drink? smoke lots of weed, few cigarette, sometimes drink

5. Are you overweight? - thin

6. Have you had any surgeries or health problems before having the surgery? (high blood pressure, etc.) - thyroid deficient

7. What did you MAINLY have ETS for? (ie: Palmar Hyperhidrosis/Axillary/Plantar/Facial Blushing) - Palmer

8. How would you rate the severity of your condition? Explain (ie: Severe/Moderate/Low. Dripping hands, changing number of socks a day, etc.) - moderate

9. Which section did the doctor cut or clamp? (T2, T3, T4) - whole works I believe

10. Any complications, if any, during the surgery? (ie: problem with collapsing the lungs, or air getting in) - none

11. When did you have the surgery? (Month/Year) January 06

12. Who was your doctor? (Name/State) - Parham

13. List the positive outcome, if any, from the surgery - dry hands

14. List the negative outcome, or side effects, if any, from the surgery (BE SPECIFIC! If you're unsure, please be careful from stating it as fact or an opinion; use "I think" if in doubt)

- tolerable compensatory sweating mainly on chest

15. Are you happy with the surgery? - Yes, without a doubt

16. What is your nationality? Irish-canadian

17. Does any other family member(s) suffer from the same condition? - Not that i am aware of

1. Where are you from?

Wa. USA. now, but had ETS in CA.

2. Gender

Female

3. Age : 50

4. Do you smoke or drink?

No and Yes, but I don't understand the relevance of the question.

5. Are you overweight?

I have had palmer HH all my life and my weight has fluctuated up and down all my life and had no effect on my HH.............again I don't understand the relevance of the question.

6. Have you had any surgeries or health problems before having the surgery? No, I am otherwise healthy

7. What did you MAINLY have ETS for? Palmar Hyperhidrosis

8. How would you rate the severity of your condition? Moderate to severe.

9. Which section did the doctor cut or clamp? T2, clamp

10. Any complications, if any, during the surgery? No

11. When did you have the surgery? May 2001

12. Who was your doctor? Reisfled, Beverly Hills CA.

13. List the positive outcome, if any, from the surgery:

Dry hands that were never dry before. Also the ability to still sweat normally from my hands up to my head when it is hot, but it disappears as soon as I cool off, which I consider what "normal" sweating is like.

14. List the negative outcome, or side effects, if any, from the surgery :

My feet sweat probably 5 times worse when it is hot then they did before the ETS. When I awoke in the recovery room, I remember the sheets that I was lying on and under were soaked at my feet.....very scary. But now they are only bothersome in the summer when I want to were sandals.

CS only when I eat, and it is not enough to be noticable to others, and stops when I stop eating. I had read that it is triggered by sweet or spicy foods, but for me it can be anything with even mild spice, like salsa, or anything with sugar, like ketchup. But it is not a real problem for me.

15. Are you happy with the surgery? YES

1. Where are you from? New Zealand

2. Gender: Female

3. Age : 32

4. Do you smoke or drink?

Yes and Yes. What is the relevance of the question?

5. Are you overweight?

Yes, by about 7 pounds.

6. Have you had any surgeries or health problems before having the surgery? No.

7. What did you MAINLY have ETS for? Palmar Hyperhidrosis.

8. How would you rate the severity of your condition? Moderate to severe.

9. Which section did the doctor cut or clamp? T2, cut.

10. Any complications, if any, during the surgery? No.

11. When did you have the surgery? March 1998.

12. Who was your doctor? Mr Philips, Auckland.

13. List the positive outcome, if any, from the surgery:

I now have dry hands.

14. List the negative outcome, or side effects, if any, from the surgery :

I have very serve C/S on my back and trunk from below the nipple line, on my buttocks and legs. Chronic fatigue and mild depression.

15. Are you happy with the surgery? Absolutely not - The worse decision I have ever made in my life. I fully regret ever having the ETS.

16. What is your nationality? New Zealander.

17. Does any other family member(s) suffer from the same condition? No.

*18 (optional). Any other comments or suggestions:

I feel that it should be made obligatory for every doctor who performs ETS to fully explain all the possible side effects and the probability of ending up with them. Also, they should direct every prospective ETS patient towards the numerous EFT forums so they can be acquainted with opinions from people who have first hand experience.

England

Female

Thirtysomething

No and Yes

No

No

Palmar Hyperhidrosis

Moderate

T2 - corterised

No

May 1994

Who was your doctor? Prof. Wassel, London & Westminster

My hands are dry

Compensatory sweating on my back

I am absoultly furious with him - He only mentioned Horner's syndrome.

British

No

Any other comments or suggestions:

I feel that this survey serves very little purpose.

Before committing themselves or not to this surgery people need to speak to as many people as possible who have had an ETS – This is one purpose of forums such as this.

Additionally, they really need to put some very searching questions to a number of ETS doctors. Especially, taking up any opportunity to speak to former patients six months to a year down the line.

If my opinon were sought, I would most definitely dissuade people going ahead with any form of ETS. I would urge them to wait for another 3 to 5 years when nerve regeneration will probably be perfected.

Apologies for breaking this thread, but I've just had an "Oh my God!" moment.

This survey has revealed that both Sweatsucks & ETSsuccess have both had their ETS surgeries within the six month honeymoon period. Accordingly, this is far too early to be commenting on the success or not of any ETS operation.

Nevertheless, I wish both ETSsucess & Sweatsucks every success with their ETS operation.

I truly hope that this doesn't happen, but if either of you are struck with the side effects of socially debilitating compensatory sweating - which is so severe that it soaks through several layers of clothing - even when in moderate temperatures or when taking mild exercise such as a walk around a park. Then please don't abandon the forum for risk of ridicule or from any sense of fearing an outbreak of schadenfreude from those that may cry: "Told you so!"

[ http://www.answers.com/topic/schadenfreude ]

I hope that both you guys and all the other who have undertaken or about to undergo ETS are all lucky in avoiding any of the severe side effects.

All my best to each and everyone of you.

With love,

Miss Lavish xx

1. Where are you from? (State/Country) LONDON

2. Gender (Male/Female) M

3. Age (10-19 / 20-29 / 30-39 / etc.) 20-29

4. Do you regularly smoke or drink or take drugs? NO

5. Are you overweight? NO

6. Have you had any surgeries or health problems before having the surgery? (high blood pressure, etc.) NO

7. What did you MAINLY have ETS for? (ie: Palmar Hyperhidrosis/Axillary/Plantar/Facial Blushing) FB

8. How would you rate the severity of your condition? Explain (ie: Severe/Moderate/Low. Dripping hands, changing number of socks a day, etc.) Moderate to Severe

9. Which section(s) did the doctor cut or clamp? (T2, T3, T4) T2

10. Any complications, if any, during the surgery? (ie: problem with collapsing the lungs, or air getting in) NO

11. When did you have the surgery? (Month/Year) MARCH 2004

12. Who was your doctor? (Name/State) DR PAES Hillingdon

13. List the positive outcome, if any, from the surgery NONE

More intense/longer Facial flushing/blushing

Chronic Fatigue

loss of sensitivity on finger tips

Respitory difficulties

Cannot exercise the way i use to

Lower libido

Split body syndrome (upper body very hot with no sweating / Lower body freezing cold and soaking wet)

Compensatory sweating on back/groin and lower chest (below the nipple line)

15. Are you happy with the surgery? YEAH OF COURSE WHO WOULDNT WANT THESE CONDITIONS! NO

16. What is your nationality? IRISH

17. Does any other family member(s) suffer from the same condition? NO

Having ETS is the single worst decision i have made in my life...i was only warned of Horners syndrome and slight compensatory sweating. My surgeon then told me if i was unhappy that a reversal procedure is possible! Another lie! Says it all really.

if you look at ETSsuccess she qoutes that she smokes lots of weed!! lol now who in there right mind is going to tell me iam the dumbest one on this forum HaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!! peace MIGHTY___________-------

I never said you were dumb. I insinuated you were insane.

And I'm not sure what my level of intelligence has anything to do with my hyperhidrosis.

and you, of all people, perhaps maybe should chill out and smoke a joint.

ok sorry but what is the purpose of this thread?

It's so users don't have to keep repeating themselves about their operation results. A lot of anti-ETS people seem to like to broadly state "it ruined their life" but they are never fully clear about their situation. People forget there are different types of Hyperhidrosis, but they like to combine it all in one group; someone with palmar Hyperhidrosis and someone who has facial HH are completely different -- and thus, ETS results also play a huge difference in that. I made this thread so we could be clear and organized as possible. I mean, it would be nice if everyone could put what they suffer from in their forum signatures.

. Where are you from? (State/Country) Uk

2. Gender (Male/Female) Male

3. Age (10-19 / 20-29 / 30-39 / etc.) 24

4. Do you regularly smoke or drink or take drugs? No

5. Are you overweight? No, slightly underweight

6. Have you had any surgeries or health problems before having the surgery? (high blood pressure, etc.) no

7. What did you MAINLY have ETS for? (ie: Palmar Hyperhidrosis/Axillary/Plantar/Facial Blushing) -

facial blushing

8. How would you rate the severity of your condition? Explain (ie: Severe/Moderate/Low. Dripping hands, changing number of socks a day, etc.) moderate to severe

9. Which section(s) did the doctor cut or clamp? (T2, T3, T4) T2

10. Any complications, if any, during the surgery? (ie: problem with collapsing the lungs, or air getting in) no but soon after the surgery I was extremely cold & couldn’t stop shaking even though in a hot room

11. When did you have the surgery? (Month/Year) sept 04

12. Who was your doctor? (Name/State) Dr Paes London

13. List the positive outcome, if any, from the surgery none

14. List the negative outcome, or side effects, if any, from the surgery (BE SPECIFIC! If you're unsure, please be careful from stating it as fact or an opinion; use "I think" if in doubt) none

15. Are you happy with the surgery? No cus I wasted over £4000 but don’t haver any side effects so quite lucky in that sense.

16. What is your nationality? British

17. Does any other family member(s) suffer from the same condition? no

Dr Paes did not explain full possible side effects.

Please find completed 'official' account of side effects etc from ETS.

Please note I had surgical sympaths- cervical thoracic bilateral sympaths and lumbar sympths. Date 1987- for CTBS and 1988- for LS

1.Where are you from? (State/Country) Scotland

2. Gender (Male/Female) female

3. Age (10-19 / 20-29 / 30-39 / etc.) 33

4. Do you regularly smoke or drink or take drugs? No - I cannot drink alcohol - as a direct consequence of the sympaths.

5. Are you overweight? No - 5 6' and 9 and 1/2 stone

6. Have you had any surgeries or health problems before having the surgery? (high blood pressure, etc.) No

7. What did you MAINLY have ETS for? (ie: Palmar Hyperhidrosis/Axillary/Plantar/Facial Blushing) -

Oops - is raynaulds missing from this list- it would appear so- it was for raynaulds and in the UK they still use sympaths for this purpose

8. How would you rate the severity of your condition? Explain (ie: Severe/Moderate/Low. Dripping hands, changing number of socks a day, etc.)

Accepted raynaulds at the age of 14 was bad - but then I do live in the north of scotland- and unfortunately the NHS didn't offer a re-location to the south of france - but strongly advised sympths !

9. Which section(s) did the doctor cut or clamp? (T2, T3, T4)

Funny the hospital where my surgery was carried out destroyed my records of the surgery in the year 2000 - strange that - as that was the year the surgeon retired. My neurologist belives that T1 to T$ were removed on right- T2-T$ on left and L1 -l3 for the lumber

10. Any complications, if any, during the surgery? (ie: problem with collapsing the lungs, or air getting in)

Yes - breathing difficulties - chest drain put in - advised now ny my neurologist - that they probably trapped air in my chest cavity. Oh, yes - the Horners on my right eye - still here 'bog eyed' as ever 20 years later.

Violently sick- I was in hospital for 3 weeks after my first sympath - not quite the recovery time for ETS - right?

Also Scars- 2 6/7 inch under the arm- 2 7 inch across my middle - i do not look that good ina bikini

11. When did you have the surgery? (Month/Year) march 1987- right side

sept 1987 - left side

lumbar - march 1988

12. Who was your doctor? (Name/State)

Egerset (Danish surgeon- practising in UK)

13. List the positive outcome, if any, from the surgery

2 years of warm hands and feet- down hill all the way from there folks- raynaulds returned for handa and

I have numbered these

1. Return of Raynaulds

2. CS - severe

3. Nightsweats - so severe i was tested for HIV and checked out for lymph cancer - by the way - I have neither - advised by the dr's that is all down to the sympaths

4. Gustro sweating- severe - now i break out with the smell of certain foods

5. Inabilty to sweat on face and head

6. Alcohol Intolerence - extreme reaction to any drink- vomit etc. This has got so bad over the years- i do not touch the stuff - and no - i have no other probs that could cause this

7. fatigue - sometimes shattered - other days not so bad

8. Feelings of detachment - spaciness at times, inabilty to feel emotions- I cna think them but not feel them.

9. the development of neurological speech probs- i sometimes repeat myself in mid sentence, a bit like a stutter - advised that my brain is struggling due to the sympaths and therefore my mouth is too

10. Sinus probs and snoring - not good - sweaty betty at night and a snory too ! I sleep alone

11. Skin Cysts - pea sizeed following my sympathectic chain - biopised 2 - dermo advised that sympaths ahd mucked up my skin completely

12. RSD - this is the best one .........I have developed RSD in right arm- and it is beginning to spread - it is not nice. my arm and hand are blue, swollen and the nerve pain is intractable - it is not nice and oh yes, the neurologist says that it is down to my perfectly healthy sympathectic chain being chopped around with. It is probably due to the scar tissue build up

13. Dry hands- where is the hand cream?

14. Uterine Inversion - lumber sympaths effect the uterus' abilty to contract - I nearly dies - I had transfusions and was advised not to have any more children- how is that for a side effect?

NB - the majority of these side effects have developed over the past 10 years- the RSD started in Jan this year - and I am staged at 2/3

15. Are you happy with the surgery?

What do u think???? NO

17. Does any other family member(s) suffer from the same condition?

Yes - my 15 year old son has Raynaulds - would I let him have ETS - u must be joking? Does he want it ? NO - he has watched his mother get sick and her arm turn blue and swollen.

Yes - ETS is not a freindly cosmetic treatment - it can in some cases- and I am certainly not suggesting all- as all of our bodies react differently to things- lead to long term permantly disabling side effects- for those that are intersted a recent 2002 lit review on sympaths - 'Are we paying to higher a price for ETS?'- the clue is in the title folks- surely a safe procedure should not have any 'price' attached to it? Let alone a very high one that some of us who have had sympaths are paying.

:!: :!:

last hope any ETS patient has is stem cells...

Reisfeld=no hope

Telantra=no hope

Nath= possible hope, no double billing.(does not perform ETS)

we make stem cells in our nose (and possibly other places?)

If Christopher Reeves foudation recognizes stem cells...why not others? :?

. Where are you from? (State/Country) CA, USA

3. Age (10-19 / 20-29 / 30-39 / etc.) 25

4. Do you regularly smoke or drink or take drugs? no

5. Are you overweight? no

6. Have you had any surgeries or health problems before having the surgery? (high blood pressure, etc.) no

7. What did you MAINLY have ETS for? (ie: Palmar Hyperhidrosis/Axillary/Plantar/Facial Blushing) Palmar Hyperhidrosis

8. How would you rate the severity of your condition? Explain (ie: Severe/Moderate/Low. Dripping hands, changing number of socks a day, etc.) Severe/Moderate

9. Which section(s) did the doctor cut or clamp? (T2, T3, T4) Clamp T3/T4

10. Any complications, if any, during the surgery? (ie: problem with collapsing the lungs, or air getting in) No

11. When did you have the surgery? (Month/Year) Sept 2004

12. Who was your doctor? (Name/State) Reisfeld CA

13. List the positive outcome, if any, from the surgery. Confidence, Dry Hand,

14. List the negative outcome, or side effects, if any, from the surgery (BE SPECIFIC! If you're unsure, please be careful from stating it as fact or an opinion; use "I think" if in doubt) Sweaty Stomach, Sweaty Back, Swetay Legs...only when its hot...about 85 degrees and up.

15. Are you happy with the surgery? Definately happy

16. What is your nationality? Filipino

17. Does any other family member(s) suffer from the same condition? only slightly

1. Where are you from? Europe, Slovenia

3. Age (10-19 / 20-29 / 30-39 / etc.) 35 (ETS at 25)

4. Do you regularly smoke or drink or take drugs? no

5. Are you overweight? no

7. What did you MAINLY have ETS for? Palmar HH

8. How would you rate the severity of your condition? Terrible

9. Which section(s) did the doctor cut or clamp? T2 cut (microcut?)

10. Any complications, if any, during the surgery? (ie: problem with collapsing the lungs, or air getting in) No

11. When did you have the surgery? (Month/Year) Sept 1997

12. Who was your doctor? dr. Ivo Tarfusser, Merano (Italy)

13. List the positive outcome, if any, from the surgery: Dry hands, reduced feet sweating

14. List the negative outcome, or side effects, if any, from the surgery: compensatory sweating - unpleasant but bearable

15. Are you happy with the surgery? Definitely happy

16. What is your nationality? Slovenian

17. Does any other family member(s) suffer from the same condition? both parents and the only sister

18. Severe HH of the palms was driving me crazy, it was heavily limiting my lifestyle, ETS was the only option. I was lucky to find an excelent and experienced surgeon and a true gentleman dr. Tarfusser.

1. Where are you from? Kent, England

2. Gender Female

3. Age 28

4. Do you regularly smoke or drink or take drugs? Drink occasionally

5. Are you overweight? No

6. Have you had any surgeries or health problems before having the surgery? (high blood pressure, etc.) No

7. What did you MAINLY have ETS for? Facial Blushing

8. How would you rate the severity of your condition? Severe

9. Which section(s) did the doctor cut or clamp? T2 T3

11. When did you have the surgery? June 2003 / redone April 2007

12. Who was your doctor? Mr Hoile, Kent, UK

13. List the positive outcome, if any, from the surgery I don't blush anymore and have my life back, almost, just need to work on the anxiety which is getting better all the time without the blushing.

14. List the negative outcome, or side effects, if any, from the surgery: The first op only stopped blushing for six months, but I never had any cs

15. Are you happy with the surgery? Yes.

17. Does any other family member(s) suffer from the same condition? Yes, Mum, Brother, Sister, Nan, aunts, cousins! My children, three daughters, are very young, can't tell yet if it's been passed on to them! I hope not.

*18 (optional). Any other comments or suggestions I would recommend anyone to go for this surgery. Even though I have had to have it done twice, it is definitely worth it.

I would most definitely dissuade people going ahead with any form of ETS. I would urge them to wait for another 3 to 5 years when nerve regeneration will probably be perfected.

by Miss Lavish

Why wait 3 to 5 years. that's to long. I'm only 17. I can't wait that long.

By the way i have read the whole forum and I still think surgey can be a success :D

1. Where are you from? Essex, England

2. Gender male

3. Age 26

4. Do you regularly smoke or drink or take drugs? Drink

5. Are you overweight? No

7. What did you MAINLY have ETS for? Facial Blushing

8. How would you rate the severity of your condition? Severe

9. Which section(s) did the doctor cut or clamp? T2 cut

11. When did you have the surgery? march 18th 2009

12. Who was your doctor? Dr Cameron, ipsiwch, UK

13. List the positive outcome, if any, from the surgery? no blushing, dry hands, increased confidence! quality of life dramatically improved

14. List the negative outcome, or side effects, if any, from the surgery: mild compensatory sweat

15. Are you happy with the surgery? Yes.

17. Does any other family member(s) suffer from the same condition? Yes, brother and cousins

*18 (optional). Any other comments or suggestions I would recommend anyone to go for this surgery if you suffer badly with blushing. blushing is a horrible condition and it can be fixed! dont believe all the scarmongering about ETS. listen to facts not conjecture