Hey everyone, I finally went to see the doctor for the first time about my FB. She did a blood test and once she sees that it's normal she said she's going to put me on Celexa because she likes it best because it doesn't cause weight gain like Paxil and has way fewer side effects. I really hope this works! If anyone could share their experience on Celexa that would be great, like how long it takes to start working, side effects, and if it actually works! thanks

interesting I take Zoloft and It has caused soem weight gain I have a 10lb gain that I picked up wiht it and cannot seem to get rid of

Im interested to see if Celexa helps u, I think the zoloft helps me.................some........maybe

This is scary, because I was on Paxil --had a **** of a time -- then was put on Celexa.

Just (i don't know if this is for everyone) expect to gain loads more weight. Then again, it could have been the birth control and Paxil at the same time. Hahaha.

But, it didn't work for me at all, and I cut out all medication. As soon as I did, I dropped the 30 lbs.

When I cut out meds, my mood swings stopped, I stopped feeling and being weird.

I just felt better without meds. Medication wasn't right for me, because the reasons for going on it was to only find a "cure" for FB. Not because I really needed it, or anything.

If you had a fully-blown discussion with her and she thinks that Celexa will help you, then good luck. It didn't work for me, but that's just me.

I've never been on Celexa, but I tried Lexapro for a while. Both drugs are very similar, and in some respects exact. I can honestly say that lexapro worked well for me. It took almost 4 weeks to take effect.

I say, give Celexa a try.

Hello All,

I am new to this site and new to discussion forum's in general. I have to say how thrilled I am to find a space where I can read information & stories from people who share the same problem as me and be able to exchange information about it.

I am 26 years old and looking back, I had very small cases of facial blushing/flushing dating back to when I was 18 (although I would need to be extremely upset for the blushing to manifest itself).

Gradually, over time the occurances seem to happen more and more with less emotional excitment needed for the flushing to happen. My career has started to really pick up and I travel quite a bit for work, presenting and attending seminars. Not only has my work life's stress level tripled so have stresses in the personal realm.

The smallest thing and I start to flush/blush like crazy. It is so painfully embarassing!

First it starts on my neck and travels down to my chest, my shoulders, my checks and even my nose & ears will turn red. I feel tremendous and uncomfortable heat. I know when it is happening and obsess about it. It's a vicious cycle to be locked in.

What is even worse is that Doctor's can't seem to come up with a difinitive diagnosis of why this is happening or exactly how to treat it. I have had doctor's tell me everything from histamine response to anxiety. I suppose both are true- but how to treat it?

Today I had a doctor appointment and was prescribed Lexapro. I have never taken any type of anti-anxiety medication before. But now, I am ready-I am tired of doing nothing about this but trying to hide it. I am willing to give it a shot. Maybe this really is an anxiety related issue and I just don't know what anxiety feels like because I have it? Maybe this is what anxiety feels like...

I'd really love to hear other people's thoughts as to what medications they have had- their experences they have had with them and to what degree folks believe this to be related to anxiety.

I appreciate your thoughts and responses.

Thank you for reading...

It seems like perhaps your blushing or flushing is more biologically based. Perhaps you have the symptoms of pre-rosacea? If you have long lasting fllushing, it is likely you have rosacea or the early stages. I have had severe flushing since a child due to heavy exercise, but my blushing due to emotions didn't start until about 3 years ago. The meds will probably work, but something like lasers might do as much good to stop the flushing. Just do your homework. I recommend Dr Nase's book(dr.nase.com) on rosacea, even if all you have is blushing. There is so much information there on the causes of blushing.

I was put on Celexa a month ago. I am a social blusher. I do not feel anything different yet. No feeling of calmness etc.

I feel like a weight was lifted off my shoulders when I confided in my Dr. He said he is a blusher too! He was an only child, lacked social skills etc. He says his face is always red by 1pm and stays that way all day. (I blush in social situations, center of attention etc. not long lasting flushing)

I have not been in a situation lately that would cause intense blushing, so I cannot yet determine if Celexa is working or not. I want to give it more time. But no side effects as of yet.

Hello Chameleon,

Out of interest, what dosage are you on? After much research, I went to my doctor and he prescribed me Escitalopram, which clinically appears the same thing. I have tried to avoid drugs at all costs, but am pretty desparate like most of us. I haven't started taking the drug yet - will wait until I can take a few days' leave from work in case of bad side effects. It would be good to hear how you get on. It's no magic cure, but I'm at the end of my tether! If it can help reduce that familiar feeling of dread and uselessness by a reasonable amount, then it least will enable me to start doing things I really want to do whilst at the same time addressing the cognitive side with a view to eventually tapering off the drug.

All the best...

rookie_diver

I need to give it more time to see if it helps any. I was at the grocery store today, and a woman told me where she was from, and I told her I am from there too! That made her want to talk more, so we did. But I felt that familiar redness come over me, and then slowly fade. I acted like nothing, and talked my way thru it. I HATE when that happens.

It is ridiculous.

I understand Celexa increases the serotonin production, which makes you feel good etc. I have never been a pill taker myself, but if it can lessen the frequency, it's ok by me. I have not noticed any side effects after 30 days. (20mg daily)

Good Luck to you too!

Interesting that you are not experiencing any side effects and no benefit. Everyone I know of on the drug does get side effects during the first 3-4 weeks. May be worth upping the dose if no change over the next 2-3 weeks. Maximum dose for Celexa seems to be 40mg.

Found a good document that explains the vicious circle we need to break:

http://www.ccjm.org/pdffiles/Muzina701.pdf

Please keep us posted.

Good luck!

I was prescriped Effexor for my anxiety. Took my first pill this morning and I was feeling pretty good till about noon and I started to get waves of nausea. Wasn't too bad though only lasted about 10 mins or so.

Update on Celexa:

While I am feeling no physical effects, I am noticing mental effects. My last 2 social interactions were fine. I did not think about going red before the events nor during. I felt very good, and was rather chatty. Having a doctor that suffers from anxiety too, has made it so easy to talk about. He makes me feel better about it, by saying, some people have high blood pressure, some people have higher anxiety levels, it's ok to treat them.

There is still the "me" inside who wants to get out and deal with life without turning red, I hope I continue to make progress.

cmbb, I was very nervous about the side-effects too, and it took me a month before i finally decided to fill the prescription. Only way I can find out is if I try. It's been about a week now and the the nausea has gone away for the most part... I still feel it when i work out at the gym a bit. Nothing really positive to report yet, but my dosage is gonna double next monday so I'll probably feel something by then, hopefullly.

Thanks, redzone, keep me posted. I talked to my doctor yesterday about the side effects and he reassured me that its not as bad as it seems. He said if I read all the side effects to aspirin I would get freaked out too. So I started taking effexor 2 days ago and I feel a little dizzy, and nausea, but I also feel calm. I ran into someone I knew at the Grocery Store last night (which normally would trigger me turning bright red and sweating) and I was ok. I maybe turned a little red, but only for a couple seconds then I was fine. Hopefully this will work to some degree.

i've been on it effexor for a week and a half now, and honestly it doesn't feel any different. My first acid test was yesterday when I had a "date" with a girl I was attracted to. Well, that test failed miserably because I felt nervous and went bright red almost immediately and stayed that way for the whole time :x

i'm on effexor too. it helps keep me calm and i think that it lessen my blushing but its never made it disappear alltogether.

if i forget to take it , my head feels really fuzzy though. anyone else had this happen??

ps-- my doctor told me if takes 6 weeks for it to work so be patient!!! :)

Update: I ended up quitting Celexa. I got way too tired! Sleepy! Also, weight gain.

I just rely on an occasional Propranolol as needed. Just got back from a social event. Took 10 mg. beforehand. Did fine, no anxiety or fear of blushing ...so NO blushing. (But being an outdoor event helped too!)