blushnyc

My Personal 'Solution' for Redness and Blushing

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to come back and write up my personal method for dealing with redness and blushing as this forum has been so helpful to me over the years. I think there is a temptation to forget about it once a 'solution' is found, but it's so important to help spread advice. So without further ado, here is concise description of my issues and how I deal with them.

My Symptoms
I have permanently red cheeks, with some redness on the bridge of the nose and between the eyebrows. This redness becomes intense with exercise, heat, cold, caffeine, and basically every other trigger you can imagine. It also flares up seemingly randomly at different times. As well as physiological triggers (flushing), I suffer from psychological ones, aka blushing. I can blush at the drop of a hat. I'm a 29 year old male and have suffered from these issues since I was in my early teens. 

My 'Solution'
Over years of experimenting and often not having much hope, I've found a routine that enables me to live without worrying about the redness or the blushing. It's still there. It's still a problem. But I can live with it and it no longer controls my life. The relief is incredible. So, of course, it's not a once and for all solution, but this is what works for me. There are three parts to my solution: 1) Skin Care, 2) Redness Cover Up, 3) Medication for Extreme Situations. I have no stake or financial interest in anything described below.

1) Skin Care: Firstly, I have a routine to help keep my skin in good condition. I think this is a key first step because if my skin is dry or irritated it will be redder and I will be more prone to flushing and blushing. I use:

• Face Wash: Artistry  - Advanced Creamy Foam Cleanser. I use this at night and sometimes in the morning - although I try to limit it to once a day so as not to dry out my skin. Sometimes in the morning I'll just use it around my nose, forehead, and other very oily areas. You can buy it on Amway. 
  • Day Moisturizer: Artistry - Intensive Skincare Advanced Vitamin C + HA Treatment. I apply this in the morning after washing my face in the shower. It was recommended by a really great dermatologist. I'm not an expert on the science, but know that it makes my skin feel better.
  • Night Moisturizer: Artistry - Hydra-V Replenishing Moisture Cream. This is a thicker moisturizer that I'll apply at night after washing my face, especially during winter.
  • Sunscreen: Elta MD - UV Sport Broad-Spectrum SPF 50. If it's a really sunny day I'll apply some of this to my red areas, after my cover-up routine (see below). 

2) Redness Cover Up: Taking care of the skin is a great start, but alone it's not even close to good enough for me. So every morning after I apply the Vit C moisturizer, I tone down the redness. I put a dab of Avéne - Antirougeurs Day (SPF 25) on the back of my hand. Then I add to it a tiny bit of green concealer. I use LA Girl - PRO Conceal (the green one). I then mix them together with my finger effectively diluting the green concealer. Then I take a cosmetic wedge (used for applying makeup - I use Cala Professional Non-Latex Cosmetic Wedge (rip the head off to create a really good bumpy surface for applying)), soak it in water then squeeze most of the water out, like a sponge. I dab the diluted green concealer on my red areas with my finger and then use the wedge to 'blend' it in, by just dabbing the skin, not smearing or wiping it. Very gentle dabs.

I've tried a ton of makeup and concealer type products and this works the best for me so far. It's totally undetectable if used sparingly and applied well. And it can tone down the redness so well. Don't go for full cover. Go for 50-80%. The beauty of it is also that I can apply more or less depending on my skin and/or the day I have ahead of me. If you're a guy and don't like the idea of covering the redness, I was with you. But this works for me and I'm comfortable with it, especially since I've used it for over a year and it's never once been detected. 

3) medication for extreme situations: Finally, there are some situations in which I'm still worried about extreme blushing, even with the cover up. I don't want to always be on meds, like Effexor, so I opt for medication that can be taken as needed. If I have a presentation, interview, or other situation that is especially worrying for blushing, I'll use these. BTW, I am not a doctor. Speak to your doctor. Do not mess around with medication on your own. So, I use a bit of Clonidine, which is not exactly a beta-blocker, but of that sort. It helps diminish the fight or flight response and blushing. I don't use much. If it's a big presentation I'll also (simultaneously) take Clonazepam, which is an anti-anxiety med like Xanax. Together they tone down the blushing response and put me more at ease. A little bit of this combo can enable me to present without issue. Don't take too much or your ability to think clearly could be effected. Again, doctor.

Conclusion
Experiment yourself, pick and choose, but don't give up. I only arrived at a routine that solves the issue for me through research and experimentation, even though I had many times of hopelessness. This is a manageable affliction. You just have to find what works for you. Nothing against those who use them, but there are less invasive treatments than ETS and Effexor. I truly hope you find yours. I know that you will if you keep trying. 

Sincerely,

G

On 6/7/2019 at 2:56 PM, blushnyc said:

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to come back and write up my personal method for dealing with redness and blushing as this forum has been so helpful to me over the years. I think there is a temptation to forget about it once a 'solution' is found, but it's so important to help spread advice. So without further ado, here is concise description of my issues and how I deal with them.

My Symptoms
I have permanently red cheeks, with some redness on the bridge of the nose and between the eyebrows. This redness becomes intense with exercise, heat, cold, caffeine, and basically every other trigger you can imagine. It also flares up seemingly randomly at different times. As well as physiological triggers (flushing), I suffer from psychological ones, aka blushing. I can blush at the drop of a hat. I'm a 29 year old male and have suffered from these issues since I was in my early teens. 

My 'Solution'
Over years of experimenting and often not having much hope, I've found a routine that enables me to live without worrying about the redness or the blushing. It's still there. It's still a problem. But I can live with it and it no longer controls my life. The relief is incredible. So, of course, it's not a once and for all solution, but this is what works for me. There are three parts to my solution: 1) Skin Care, 2) Redness Cover Up, 3) Medication for Extreme Situations. I have no stake or financial interest in anything described below.

1) Skin Care: Firstly, I have a routine to help keep my skin in good condition. I think this is a key first step because if my skin is dry or irritated it will be redder and I will be more prone to flushing and blushing. I use:

• Face Wash: Artistry  - Advanced Creamy Foam Cleanser. I use this at night and sometimes in the morning - although I try to limit it to once a day so as not to dry out my skin. Sometimes in the morning I'll just use it around my nose, forehead, and other very oily areas. You can buy it on Amway. 
  •  Day Moisturizer: Artistry - Intensive Skincare Advanced Vitamin C + HA Treatment. I apply this in the morning after washing my face in the shower. It was recommended by a really great dermatologist. I'm not an expert on the science, but know that it makes my skin feel better.
  • Night Moisturizer: Artistry - Hydra-V Replenishing Moisture Cream. This is a thicker moisturizer that I'll apply at night after washing my face, especially during winter.
  • Sunscreen: Elta MD - UV Sport Broad-Spectrum SPF 50. If it's a really sunny day I'll apply some of this to my red areas, after my cover-up routine (see below). 

2) Redness Cover Up: Taking care of the skin is a great start, but alone it's not even close to good enough for me. So every morning after I apply the Vit C moisturizer, I tone down the redness. I put a dab of Avéne - Antirougeurs Day (SPF 25) on the back of my hand. Then I add to it a tiny bit of green concealer. I use LA Girl - PRO Conceal (the green one). I then mix them together with my finger effectively diluting the green concealer. Then I take a cosmetic wedge (used for applying makeup - I use Cala Professional Non-Latex Cosmetic Wedge (rip the head off to create a really good bumpy surface for applying)), soak it in water then squeeze most of the water out, like a sponge. I dab the diluted green concealer on my red areas with my finger and then use the wedge to 'blend' it in, by just dabbing the skin, not smearing or wiping it. Very gentle dabs.

I've tried a ton of makeup and concealer type products and this works the best for me so far. It's totally undetectable if used sparingly and applied well. And it can tone down the redness so well. Don't go for full cover. Go for 50-80%. The beauty of it is also that I can apply more or less depending on my skin and/or the day I have ahead of me. If you're a guy and don't like the idea of covering the redness, I was with you. But this works for me and I'm comfortable with it, especially since I've used it for over a year and it's never once been detected. 

3) medication for extreme situations: Finally, there are some situations in which I'm still worried about extreme blushing, even with the cover up. I don't want to always be on meds, like Effexor, so I opt for medication that can be taken as needed. If I have a presentation, interview, or other situation that is especially worrying for blushing, I'll use these. BTW, I am not a doctor. Speak to your doctor. Do not mess around with medication on your own. So, I use a bit of Clonidine, which is not exactly a beta-blocker, but of that sort. It helps diminish the fight or flight response and blushing. I don't use much. If it's a big presentation I'll also (simultaneously) take Clonazepam, which is an anti-anxiety med like Xanax. Together they tone down the blushing response and put me more at ease. A little bit of this combo can enable me to present without issue. Don't take too much or your ability to think clearly could be effected. Again, doctor.

Conclusion
Experiment yourself, pick and choose, but don't give up. I only arrived at a routine that solves the issue for me through research and experimentation, even though I had many times of hopelessness. This is a manageable affliction. You just have to find what works for you. Nothing against those who use them, but there are less invasive treatments than ETS and Effexor. I truly hope you find yours. I know that you will if you keep trying. 

Sincerely,

G

thank you for the in depth review. I will look into some of the stuff, currently I only wash my face with bottled water twice a day, my skin is too sensitive for anything else and working related I can not manage a breakout currently. I wash my hair with anti hair loss shampoo with Biotin in it and other stuff. I'm taking Relaxane, plant based medication against anxiety, that helps ok. I will soon have an doc appointment about different medication around psychology as Im dealing with anxiety blushing and a lot of other triggers, rosacea like symptoms. Have you had any luck with beta blockers? I'm a man too and currently I just put some toned sunscreen on and around the nose area. 

You are completely right, ETS is not always the answer, I did it and close to 7 years later here I am with more issues than before.

O.

O,

My understanding is that Clonidine, if not a beta-blocker, works in a very similar way. I do find that it works, although I only use it a few times a month for more stressful situations. For things like presentations I take it with Clonazepam (anti-anxiety med). Maybe you can ask your doctor about that combo.

I'd really recommend trying the green coverage (diluted as described) to tone down some of the redness. The meds help the blushing but alone aren't a total solution for me.

Best,

G

Hi @blushnyc

Great write up and good advice. Have you tried using Dr Jart cicapair tiger grass color correcting cream?

It come in green cream but turns to beige colour to blend into your skin.

Works good enough for me but i'm trying to get the correct layer amount without it being detectable.

Interested in the Clonidine. Have never tried any medication for this so would need to do research on this a little.

Thanks again