Kit

Do you have to speak with your Dr first?

Hi all,

Iv got SA really bad and one HUGE problem is facial blushing. Iv tried CBT (twice) hypnotherapy (paid privately) herbal tablets from the USA, countless creams etc. I'm now under the adult mental health services, suffice to.say so.far no progress and it's ruining my life to the point of sucidal thoughts. I'm only 29 ?. 

My question is do you need like an ok from your Dr? As iv read the NHS don't fund it. I think that's awful as cosmetic surgery is.funded on it but hey ho. I feel really embarrassed about bringing it up with my support worker.i feel like this is my last opportunity. 

Any help with how people did it in the UK would be much appreciated. Thank you.

K. 

Hi Kit,

I had ETS last year at St John and Elizabeth’s. Best decision I’ve ever made. I’m blush free and much more confident and happy.

I did go and see my doctor about having the operation before I had my consultation with the surgeon (dr Greeenstein). I don’t think you have to see a doctor, because you don’t need a referral, but I wanted to make sure that I’d tried every other possible treatment before I went for the op. I too found it hard to talk about, as most people didn’t seem to understand how serious the problem is and how it made me feel. 

The NHS used to fund it, but stopped about 10 years ago. Annoying! However, in my opinion it’s the best money I’ve ever spent. I have my life back! 

I hope that’s helpful. 

Hi 

Thank you so much for replying to my post. I had a reply few months back and it gave me the push forward. Now my support worker knows and has encouraged me to talk with my Dr however like you know it's very difficult and people tend not to understand the effects of life it can have on you.

Oh I thought might be able to have it on the NHS, iv tried everything and I haven't the financial means to have this operation. My argument is basically if transgender/breast reduction etc can be done on the NHS as it effects Thier quality of life why can't this? Can I ask how much was the consultation with Dr.Greenstien and then the operation altogether. I live in Yorkshire so would be very costly. 

I'm so glad you have gained that confidance back and I hope you are able to accomplish what you would have liked to before.

Thank you

Kit ?

Hi Kit.  I'll probably get shot down by pro-ETS people for my comments, but I would just say think very, very, very carefully before ETS if you ever were in a position to go through with it.  After more than fifteen horrendous years of side-effects, depression, anxiety and at times suicidal thoughts as a direct result of ETS, it is without doubt the worst and most costly mistake of my life.  The side-effects sometimes do not start for several years, that's what people don't realise.  My surgery was for hyperhidrosis however, not SA, but without a doubt, if I could turn the clock back twenty years and start again I would never have had ETS under any circumstances.  The nerves that they destroy are vital nerves - we all have them, ours are just overactive, but they clearly serve many functions.
Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to scare you and I'm not.  Just think very carefully and do as much research as you possibly can.