redattack

ETS guys where are you? will I die?

Ok

So I have gotten to the point of where I think only surgery will cure me of this horrible condition I am currently going through the process of funding through the NHS

I currently no only blush, and flush I also sweat from the palms plus my head and face get really sweaty

There are stories of people getting severe side effects like ending up sitting in puddles of sweat, and the report I was given by the clinical centre people even died during surgery

so when I google I cant really find much negative feedback on ETS surgery so im guessing its successful for the majority as they don't need to find answers and also

they disappear from these forums as they don't need to be here anymore

So how high is the risk really?

I want to change my life but I don't want to die doing it

cheers

Marcus

Hi, Marcus

Yes, I'm one of those individuals who for years have gone online to read about people's experiences and have disappeared from the forums after a successful ETS surgery.  I had sweaty palms, feet and underarms and I just wanted to forget that miserable part of my life.  I've had mine done in 2013 and I have never been back on the forums until now because I really wanted to let people know that I have been cured.  After 40 years,  I no longer have sweaty feet, palms and underarms.  Naturally, everyone goes through compensatory sweating after surgery.  I truly believe that the majority of people who have gone through the procedure have had minor and acceptable levels of CS after surgery and have chosen to move forward with their new lives.  The compensatory sweating (CS) for me is very tolerable compared to what other people are experiencing from other parts of the world.  I have CS around the abdomen which usually occurs when I'm exercising or when I get too warm I'm in bed - VERY TOLERABLE! (Nothing compares to sweaty palms and feet!).

My advice to you is to choose your hospital and surgeon well.  Just because a surgeon has presented themselves online as a "pioneer" or best surgeon simply because they only perform ETS or have performed thousands of the ETS surgeries, etc does not make them more knowledgeable and effective.  For me, choosing a top notch hospital is important because they typically employ the brightest surgeons that work together as a team.  I went to Stanford Hospital, California, because it's close in proximity and most importantly they are very thorough in their work and have been consistently ranked amount top 5 in the US, if not the world.  I believe the truly best surgeons are those who work with very complex procedures in all types of conditions (ie, cancer, neurologic, etc..) not just ETS. 

I don't know anyone dying from ETS surgery.  Any procedure that requires general anesthesia is not without risk.  It's important to note that ETS surgery involves collapsing the lungs.  I don't know how any other hospitals work, but Stanford considers this as a very minor out-patient surgery and I was able to go home a couple hours after the procedure. 

Honestly, it's the best decision I have ever made in my entire life.  I'm a new person and I've never been more confident.

Hope that helps.  Good luck in your search!

Edited by SurfRBtm

Hi, Marcus

Yes, I'm one of those individuals who for years have gone online to read about people's experiences and have disappeared from the forums after a successful ETS surgery.  I had sweaty palms, feet and underarms and I just wanted to forget that miserable part of my life.  I've had mine done in 2013 and I have never been back on the forums until now because I really wanted to let people know that I have been cured.  After 40 years,  I no longer have sweaty feet, palms and underarms.  Naturally, everyone goes through compensatory sweating after surgery.  I truly believe that the majority of people who have gone through the procedure have had minor and acceptable levels of CS after surgery and have chosen to move forward with their new lives.  The compensatory sweating (CS) for me is very tolerable compared to what other people are experiencing from other parts of the world.  I have CS around the abdomen which usually occurs when I'm exercising or when I get too warm I'm in bed - VERY TOLERABLE! (Nothing compares to sweaty palms and feet!).

My advice to you is to choose your hospital and surgeon well.  Just because a surgeon has presented themselves online as a "pioneer" or best surgeon simply because they only perform ETS or have performed thousands of the ETS surgeries, etc does not make them more knowledgeable and effective.  For me, choosing a top notch hospital is important because they typically employ the brightest surgeons that work together as a team.  I went to Stanford Hospital, California, because it's close in proximity and most importantly they are very thorough in their work and have been consistently ranked amount top 5 in the US, if not the world.  I believe the truly best surgeons are those who work with very complex procedures in all types of conditions (ie, cancer, neurologic, etc..) not just ETS. 

I don't know anyone dying from ETS surgery.  Any procedure that requires general anesthesia is not without risk.  It's important to note that ETS surgery involves collapsing the lungs.  I don't know how any other hospitals work, but Stanford considers this as a very minor out-patient surgery and I was able to go home a couple hours after the procedure. 

Honestly, it's the best decision I have ever made in my entire life.  I'm a new person and I've never been more confident.

Hope that helps.  Good luck in your search!

Thanks so much for the detailed reply and so glad it changed your life

When I searched for ETS it was mainly peoples stories for having the ETS surgery due to sweating

I couldn't find many success/negative stories for blushing

im in the uk hoping to get it done on the NHS

what nerves did you have done and were they cut or clamped?

Thanks

Marcus

The most comprehensive feedback for ETS surgery is that NICE guide I sent you by PM.

You are pretty much guaranteed to sweat after the surgery but the unknown part of that is how severe, it could be manageable and turn your life around to like a dripping tap.

I highly doubt your going to die if your in good health otherwise and have no side effects to the general anaesthetic. 

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ipg487/evidence/overview-pdf-497175373

The most comprehensive feedback for ETS surgery is that NICE guide I sent you by PM.

You are pretty much guaranteed to sweat after the surgery but the unknown part of that is how severe, it could be manageable and turn your life around to like a dripping tap.

I highly doubt your going to die if your in good health otherwise and have no side effects to the general anaesthetic. 

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ipg487/evidence/overview-pdf-497175373

cheers pal yes I read through that thanks im just so worried but I really need this. Just waiting for appointment to see my doctor did you say you had ETS?

Thanks so much for the detailed reply and so glad it changed your life

When I searched for ETS it was mainly peoples stories for having the ETS surgery due to sweating

I couldn't find many success/negative stories for blushing

im in the uk hoping to get it done on the NHS

what nerves did you have done and were they cut or clamped?

Thanks

Marcus

I don't recall which T-nerves, but they were cauterized.  Stanford surgeons do not believe in the clamping method.

I doubt you will die.

if there is  1% risk of death they will have tell you theres a risk of death like any other surgery there risk of death.

i hope you donit and i hope you get your life back because i know and understand everything your going through id recoment dr ownudike in bolton.

ive read alot about him if you are close.

get your dr reffer you and ask to be reffered there.

Is it actually possible to have ETS done on the NHS?

My GP was very unsympathetic and just said I need to learn how to deal with blushing (I'm 29 and have blushed uncontrollably since the age of 13). I wish it was that easy haha. 

He has just given me diazepam which hasn't had any effect whatsoever. 

I'm glad I've found this website as it makes me feel a bit more normal haha. 

Dave 

On 09/10/2017 at 9:59 AM, djordan88 said:

Is it actually possible to have ETS done on the NHS?

My GP was very unsympathetic and just said I need to learn how to deal with blushing (I'm 29 and have blushed uncontrollably since the age of 13). I wish it was that easy haha. 

He has just given me diazepam which hasn't had any effect whatsoever. 

I'm glad I've found this website as it makes me feel a bit more normal haha. 

Dave 

Hi Dave, I don't think so. My doctor appeared to be very sympathetic and had me referred to my local hospital. However, he was contacted recently by the surgeon who stated that the NHS no longer funds the surgery. I was quite taken aback by this reply and I'm not sure if it's entirely true? Anyone else had this reply? 

I have had the ETS surgery, i moved from the UK to Australia and found my blushing and sweating to get worse with age. This surgery has changed my life. I do not randomly go red for no reason and do not feel that hot feeling like a kettle building up about to pop. It has been 6 days since my surgery. I have super dry hands.. can't grip anything so have to keep them moisturized.. i have intermittently sweaty feet and get compensatory sweating around my lower back and groin area. This is only on a very hot day. Otherwise i do not sweat at all. I am super happy with this surgery as this has been the root cause of my anxiety for 15 years. I would say 100% go for it. As other methods have never worked for me. I also have been able to stop all antidepressants since this operation and feel great. I suppose different people will have different outcomes but i haven't look back since. Now i can move on with my life. I do wish you all the success and hope you get your problem sorted one day.. Anthony 

On 12/13/2017 at 11:12 AM, Anthony said:

I have had the ETS surgery, i moved from the UK to Australia and found my blushing and sweating to get worse with age. This surgery has changed my life. I do not randomly go red for no reason and do not feel that hot feeling like a kettle building up about to pop. It has been 6 days since my surgery. I have super dry hands.. can't grip anything so have to keep them moisturized.. i have intermittently sweaty feet and get compensatory sweating around my lower back and groin area. This is only on a very hot day. Otherwise i do not sweat at all. I am super happy with this surgery as this has been the root cause of my anxiety for 15 years. I would say 100% go for it. As other methods have never worked for me. I also have been able to stop all antidepressants since this operation and feel great. I suppose different people will have different outcomes but i haven't look back since. Now i can move on with my life. I do wish you all the success and hope you get your problem sorted one day.. Anthony 

glad it worked out for you is it still working now?