Sign in to follow this  
blushingman

Compensatory Sweating - Side effect from the ETS surgery

Hi!
Just came across this video of a top surgeon explaining compensatory sweating (CS), and I wanted to share it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGIc-kWR2_M

It's kind of disgusting to hear how severe this side effect can be. And being that this is coming from a surgeon, it's not just a horror story from a dissatisfied patient, but something that clearly this surgeon has documented. 

Here are his own words: "And there are some that develop what I call a severe form of compensatory sweating, where it just soaks through your clothes. And it is not if you are outside exercising, or inside exercising, or you are outside in heat or humidity. People will sweat, and should sweat, in situations like that. But if you are like in an air-conditioned environment, like I am now, and it's soaking though my shirt, or the lower back, or even my pants or the groin. It's soaking through clothes, that's compensatory sweating" - Dr. David Nielson 

This also show what I have been reading on other forums; that it maybe should be called reflex sweating instead of compensatory sweating, since it is not like you sweat the same amount as before, just that everything now goes below the nipple line. You actually sweat a lot more, an increased amount. As I understand it, this is the body's way of reacting when hurting (healthy) nerves, and I believe this can be seen for instance when people have been in car accidents. Where nerves have been damaged, and the person involved afterwards sweats a lot more. Me personally, when being ill, I sweat al lot more, but I don't know if that is relevant to having nerves destroyed. 

Found a reliable source confirming the term reflex sweating: 

» ... a young gynaecologist who in 1930 fell on a fragment of glass and severed the volar superficial branch of his left ulnar nerve. ... developed a considerable and most unpleasant reflex hydrosis over the whole body. ... The general hyperhydrosis receded only gradually, with the regeneration of the small cutaneous nerve«  

Source: Guttmann L. The distribution of disturb- ances of sweat secretion after extirpation of certaIn sympathetic cervical ganglia in man. J Anat 1940;74:537-49.