blushingman

Does ETS-surgery have a beta-blocker effect on the heart?

Hi!

I have read somewhere of people who have had the ETS-surgery done, who said it had a beta blocker effect on the heart. I was wondering if people who have had the ETS-surgery agrees with this statement, and if so, could explain what it means for you.

I have myself tried beta blockers (propranolol), and it did help a lot with blushing, but I also got a lot of side effects. Some of them were: getting extremely tired, increased appetite and cravings for sugar, having a hard time being physically active, cold hands, decreased heart rate, increased sweating, etc.

I was wondering, since I had these side effects from taking beta blockers, can I expect to have them from the ETS-surgery as well? Decreased heart rate is a common side effect, also recognized by surgeons who perform ETS, but I have never read that the ETS for instance can give you increased appetite. 

Hope I can get more clear about this. It would help in understanding the consequences of the ETS-surgery to a greater extent, and by that able me to make a better decision of whether or not I should go through with it :) 

For me it has meant a decrease in heart rate only. My resting heart rate before surgery was around 60, it is now 44. My surgeon explained it as probably being due to some microscopic cardiac fibers surrounding T2 being accidentally cut in the process. He admitted to not knowing for sure why this happens though.

I can exercise the same, and have the same appetite and energy as before. I feel fine in general now, 3 months out from ETS.

Good luck with your information gathering, this is a good one to investigate for sure!

My heart rate has dropped but it was way too fast before so for me it's a nice welcome. 

My appetite hasn't changed at all and I can still lose weight if I want to (2 stone lighter since my surgery) 

I have cold hands when it's cold, not if it's warm which is pretty much normal right?! 

I have a much calmer feeling now, like as though my body is releasing some kind of calming drug.

Hope this helps x

I got T2 clamped 1 year ago, (and removed again).

Before removal my heart rate dropped to 38 while resting. And could not get it over 121 after exercise. (46/185 before op). Appetite and energi level have always stay the same.

Before surgery I did try betablockers for years in "heated" situations where i would blush, but they didnt have any noticeable effect on me besides low heart rate. They only did little for helping blushing, I think it were mostly placebo effect... But that was better than nothing.

I agree with Befree, system feels calmer though.

If Betablockers work, why not just use them in the heated situations? Dont make much sence to do surgery if meds works.

I Would say yes partly.  It feels like circulation can get pretty screwed up for example - my hands look slightly different in colour to each other (as do my feet).  Hands about the same in temp though, whereas right foot colder than left.

Sweating is extremely profuse in areas it shouldn't be, and non-existent in areas it should.

Exercise personally is 20x harder than pre-surgery, e.g. not being able to sweat on face, forehead, scalp, neck, underarms, hands and feet.

To be honest, you have been cut at different levels and not telling the 'whole' story to be fair! 

When you've have the 'more extreme surgery cut at different levels etc' you ought to  say this before basically saying ETS is a botch up!