FedUp77

My ETS Story: from surgery day through recovery

21 hours ago, FedUp77 said:

Well, it has been 1 year and 4 months since my ETS (cut T2) and I am officially pleased with my 95% blush free results. My neck and chest can still turn a scarlet red when under SEVERE stress. But not often, not randomly, not immediately, not frequently, not for no reason, not for long, and no longer on my face...at all. I'll take it.

CS- I no longer have to use monthly applications of DriClor as my previous uses have cleared up any dripping sweat problem for me. I do still occasionally have a "film" at night when it's hot out, but that's minimal and tolerable. I also don't sweat from my neck up, not at all. It's weird, but other than the weirdness it's fine.

Heart Rate- 54 just now, at rest. I am very in shape these days (more so than I have been in a decade at least), I have dropped 30 pounds and am running frequently. For those of you wondering about effects on metabolism and/or energy level/ability to be very active: ETS did not change me in these ways at all. I am a 40 year old woman and managed to get to a healthy BMI after having had ETS. 

Just wanted to jump in and say hi and wish you all well. :)

ITS NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU. I HAD MY SURGERY OCT 4 AND IT WAS A COMPLETE SUCCESS. IT CURED ME FROM FB 100%. SINCE OP I HAVENT FEEL THAT BURNING SENSATION AND I AM MORE OPEN TO CONVERSATIONS NOW. STILL IN CLOUDS AND IM SO HAPPY. IT WAS REALLY WORTH IT. DR, GORENSTEIN WAS SO GENTLE. I HAD NO PAIN OR SIDE EFFECTS. ONLY SWEAT ON MY BACK BUT NOTHING MAJOR. I CAN HANDLE IT. OTHER THAN THAT I CAN SAY ETS WAS THE BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE. IM SO GLAD IT WORKED FOR YOU TOO.

On 10/11/2017 at 9:39 PM, FedUp77 said:

Well, it has been 1 year and 4 months since my ETS (cut T2) and I am officially pleased with my 95% blush free results. My neck and chest can still turn a scarlet red when under SEVERE stress. But not often, not randomly, not immediately, not frequently, not for no reason, not for long, and no longer on my face...at all. I'll take it.

CS- I no longer have to use monthly applications of DriClor as my previous uses have cleared up any dripping sweat problem for me. I do still occasionally have a "film" at night when it's hot out, but that's minimal and tolerable. I also don't sweat from my neck up, not at all. It's weird, but other than the weirdness it's fine.

Heart Rate- 54 just now, at rest. I am very in shape these days (more so than I have been in a decade at least), I have dropped 30 pounds and am running frequently. For those of you wondering about effects on metabolism and/or energy level/ability to be very active: ETS did not change me in these ways at all. I am a 40 year old woman and managed to get to a healthy BMI after having had ETS. 

Just wanted to jump in and say hi and wish you all well. :)

It's been over a year and a half now since getting my ETS- T 2 cut by Lyall Gorenstein in NY. I'm a 40 year old woman, mother, wife and nurse. I suffered from increasingly bad blushing from the age of 18. My quick, annoying and life altering blushing is gone. I can talk about myself without fear of that red heat covering my neck and cheeks within 1 minute. I can start an IV without looking as red as the blood that I am dealing with, I can live more freely and relaxed. It has been a great solution for me.

Everything I updated last time (above) is the same. I will say, the night sweat film is lessening gradually and that is a wonderful thing!

Mentally I do get freaked sometimes. I am not big on speaking in front of large crowds and still finding myself avoiding these opportunities and getting that pit in the stomach feeling of knowing I'll go red. You know, that sinking anxious feeling. Because when these big time events happen I do still blush. It's certainly more gradual and less severe though. But it's there and patchy and noticeable. I think this is something I will work on in the year ahead, maybe some therapy, lectures on public speaking, audiobooks on gaining confidence and such. 

But ultimately, I am happy I had ETS. I do not have any regrets this far out, and I hope that this is where my recovery/results will remain.

Good luck to you all, I don't visit often and I am sorry for that but once you have taken the leap and put your hopes into a drastic measure like ETS, it takes so much mental fortitude to be able to "go back to that dark place" and read of all of your struggles. I hope you each find your solution and can live your best lives. Be well.

It's been over 2 years since me ETS (cut at T2) surgery:

Blushing- 99% gone. Long stressful situations with a lot of consistent adrenaline pumping lead to a gradual splotchy creeping rash on my chest, neck and the right side of me face. If it's in a hot environment, it's quicker and easier to happen.

Compensatory Sweating- Mild. Humidity brings it on. I do not drip sweat at all like I was doing in the early months after ETS. For the past 1.5 years I have stayed the same here, sweaty film after sleeping in the summer nights, slight sweaty lower back even at rest, if it's humid.

Heart Rate- Averages around mid 40s, resting. I can work out fine, I feel fine, so I suppose this IS fine. Being a nurse though, I overthink this one still. I am hopeful that I will never have any bad outcomes from this side effect.

Finger tips- Pruned 25% of the time. I've gotten used to it. Staying well hydrated helps, and lotion.

Ultimately I push myself to do more at work, with speeches, presentations and so on. Yet sometimes when I am asked to present a big project or meet with the higher ups that dreadful what-If-I-blush feeling grips me. I now just say yes and hope for the best. Taking an antihistamine prior to these events seems to keep things at bay, who knows if it's even needed though! 

Weigh your options and know that there is no guarantee but quality of life is so important!

Be Well.

Hi Fedup!!! I am so thankful for this forum and for your updates on it! I am considering ETS. I have a question for you though. Did you have a baseline redness before ETS or was your face only red when you blushed?