FedUp77

My ETS Story: from surgery day through recovery

1 Month After Surgery

I just returned from vacation which was hard to enjoy in the beginning due to the headaches. Now they are improving, I have a few good days with one occasional dizzy/achy headed day mixed in. I hope the trend continues and I can finally claim to feel "good" again. The opposite is not something I want to even consider at this point because that horrible feeling truly negatively effects one's quality of life.

The numbness on my left breast has decreased almost completely. A nice improvement.

I have had a few bouts of chest/ass sweating directly correlated to very hot weather and/or my clothing not being appropriate. It's a bit uncomfortable as I can feel that my body is working harder than usual to not overheat. Also, I sleep in much less/lighter clothes and keep my room much cooler to try to avoid the night sweating. Adjusting to my new normal but hopeful it will get a bit less often/severe still.

My resting heart rate continues to average around 45. I wonder at times if the headaches could be related? I plan to get back to exersizing regularly soon and hope for the best. We will see.

I do not blush. So very thankful for that part!

With alcohol and heat, I do flush.

I am now focusing on my current status and trying very hard not to fear the unknown "what ifs" of the future. I want to believe that this is my new normal but there is so much negativity out there about this, the "honeymoon phase" and so on. It's involved a bit of mental fortitude for me to not go a bit crazy with all of this in all honestly. I will be seeing a psychologist soon and refilling my very new Ativan prescription as needed due to all of this mental "unrest" I now occasionally feel. And just for a reference, anxiety is a new thing for me. I had never experienced dreadful body disabling anxiety until now. It's an awful feeling and I'll be glad to get it under control, I have some work ahead of me for sure.

I hope you are all well and I want to apologize for my negativity in my most recent posts. I do think it's important to continue my updates honestly though, so I will not edit anything. I will continue to update this post but as I mentioned before, I need to stay away from the other posts/negativity as it certainly wasn't serving me well! 

Be well.

Hey FedUp, I appreciate you taking the time to come back and report on your experience. I now understand what you mean about this forum after the surgery is done, lots of things to give you nagging doubts.

I hope that you continue to report. I'm here to support you and others are too. 

I think we just need a positive outlook on this. All will be ok in the end.

Hello FedUp23. It's very good to hear from you. Facial blushing: no more, yeah!!!! ?. You did well in to go to a psychologist to reinforce you mental state. Keep us posted. Be well ?

Edited by tiago

Hello, I am new to this and gave just found your story. I am also a dreaded facial blusher!!! I am considering ets surgery and am interested to see how your experience goes ( so far sounds very positive and am over the moon for you!!!) I have found vascular surgeon called rojer bell, in Melbourne aus, he has performed over 800 ets for facial blushing surgerys (does anyone know if this is alot) and am considering having ets here is Australia as I am here on a working visa and seems cheaper and possible more experienced ( I'm from England). But my question is I am only 22,  would you consider waiting before having this op, i am having mixed emotions as I am putting off starting a career as I prefer to fade into the background, I cant do dates (unless in an almost pitch dark restaurant of my choosing or if I get drunk before hand which never goes well as you can imagine!!!) and it's effecting my overall enjoyment of life, I feel I may be wasting my young years but also don't want to rush into anything and have terrible side effects :( I too am a worrier and I'm in two minds about it ( probably more like 8 minds)!!  Good luck fed-up I hope the results continue to be positive for you!  X

Hi Jo23. Did you find or hear any more information on Dr Roger Bell. I am also considering using him for the ETS surgery. 

1 1/2 months After Surgery

Blushing- I am not blushing is the high stress situations I used to. There have been 2 occasions when I was telling personal stories and briefly felt the beginning build up of a blush. No idea if I did end up flashing red for a few seconds, but if I did it was very quick to come and to go, it didn't include tingling heat, nor did it stay for hours on end and look like a communicable disease. Happy with the blushing results as of now.

Resting Heart Rate- This week I have checked it every other day and it has been above 50. Very happy about that as it was around 44 for about a month after surgery. I'm hoping this is my new normal and/or it will continue to increase a bit still. Still working on starting exercising again...story of my life. ;)

Headaches- I haven't had a headache in a week. They definitely faded in intensity and length starting around week 4 post surgery and now I can confidently say that they have not been an issue since Monday (5 days ago), and I hope they stay away.

Anxiety- Lessening daily. I was thinking about ETS every moment for about a month. While sleeping, immediately when I awoke, during work.... It really consumed my every thought. I think this was the source of my severe anxiety. Thankfully I have done some work to focus on other things and take a step back. I now think of ETS maybe 6-12 times a day, and don't feel overwhelmed with having done this to my body like I had for a while there. So thankful to have this fading.

Compensatory Sweating- It's oppressively hot here right now and I am sweating from the neck down, a lot. The front of my shins sweat now, it's weird. My sweating is maybe 25% more than it was before surgery, the fact that my forehead can no longer bead with sweat (I never did sweat much from my head before anyways) is something that I miss, as it helped to cool me off more easily. That being said, it's not awful. I will be interested to see how I am in the less HOT seasons, as it's really hard to gauge my changes in this humid and sticky heat. The other thing is I sweat more at night now than I used to. In the middle of some nights I wake with a sweaty "film" over my torso and legs, my shirt damp. I don't like it and have had to clean my sheets more often and shower immediately upon awakening when it happens. It's not awful though, and again, it's hot here so maybe things will settle down a bit when things cool off a bit.

Numbness on breast- 95% gone. Glad it's fading. 

Lap sites- scaring purple, not easy to hide in a bathing suit but I hope they will fade more with time.

Fingertips- They look "pruney" after showering and it lasts hours. Very weird, but not awful. I just have raisin fingertips for a while. I am very curious as to why this happens, but it doesn't really even bother me.

Hope you all are well. Hang in there, and be positive!

Hello everyone!

My name is Jonathan and I'm new to this page. Reading all of your success stories is truly magnificent and I applaud you for taking action.

A little bit about myself, I am 22, just graduated from college and FB has been a problem for me since I was 15. It happens in social situations and especially when I have to speak in front of large groups of people. Now I'm giving weekly reports at my first job and interviewing for better positions and I want to do well without worrying about blushing. I'm seriously leaning towards ETS as I've tried several other treatments (beta-blockers, relaxation therapy, avoiding trigger situations, etc.). A few quick questions...if anyone has answers or can point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated:

- Anyone know of/have a good experience with a surgeon on the west coast of the U.S.? I went to college in San Diego, CA and currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

- What price range are we looking at? I've seen everywhere from $800 to $1500

All the best! Hope everyone is having a great summer!

Hi jonathan, welcome. Your story sounds so familiar, I hope you find some guidance and answers here. Wishing you luck.

-I have heard talk on here of a surgeon in CA, not sure of his name though. Maybe post a seperate post asking?

-My ETS will run me $11,000 out of pocket if it is not covered by insurance, still waiting to see if they will cover my submitted claim.

2 Months After ETS

Blushing- Gone. I just finished up a huge week at work with tons of speeches, meetings with upper administration, and formal evaluations. Not one blush. My life is so different now, much improved, calmer. I am more outgoing and confident, and I don't fret for days/weeks prior to these events due to the fear of blushing. I preform better in the moment now too since blushing is no longer an issue, my mind is clear and I can continue forward with ease and confidence. I'm starting to get used to this and I am loving every minute.

Sweating- it's cooled off a bit (80s now) and I feel more like my normal sweaty self. Going to try some antiperspirant soon for the really hot days when I sweat much more than before from between my breasts and shoulder blades. I will admit, this is an unpleasant and frustrating side effect at times.

Numbness- Gone

Headaches- Occassional dull ache, nearly gone and easily ignored (and I'm psyched).

Fingertips- Still "pruney" often.

Heart Rate- 44-50 resting heart rate now. Ok, but I'd like it to go up a bit more.

Overall I'm happy. My anxiety is pretty much gone and I finally feel like my old self again. It took me a solid 2 months to get here. No meds, happy, no blushing. I am thankful.

I'll update occasionally on this thread but won't frequent the boards since the general negativity from a select few brought me more trouble than help during my recovery. 

To all of you searching for relief from blushing, ETS often works nowadays if you find the right surgeon. If you've exhausted all other options and you're willing to take the leap, it could be your answer. Wishing you all well in your journeys towards living your best lives.

I have just  had the surgery from Dr Roger bell in Melbourne currently staying overnight, woke up feeling strangly okay, hands and armpits are dry/ although usually are relatively anyway, hard to say if it's worked yet as not been in a situation to blush, fingers crossed, did just scrub makeup off though which usually makes me bright red on contact with face and only a slight pink occurred and thinking I look slightly paler,  so fingers crossed it's all worked, i am hopefull at this stage that this is the start of a new life for me but also terrified if it  dosnt work as not sure where to go from here if nor, i refuse to live with this problem, will keep you all updated but so far positive i think!!!, hard to know if I have cs, legs got sweaty earlier but did have compression bandages on with heat pads on legs for some reason and seems fine now that's off!! 

Fedup77 I'm sorry that you had to experience negativity I'm not surprised that this let to more anxiety!! it's bad enough hoping and praying that your on the right track without people adding comments to make you doubt the process, this has been the scariest thing I've even done so I underatand how terrible that must have been. Can i ask does your skin still redden with touch, like taking of makeup ect??

please noone put me down or put the idea onto my head that I've done the wrong thing as I couldn't think of anything worse right now, I'm young scared and a million miles away from my family and support, thankyou 

Edited by Jo23

Hi Jo23. Did you find or hear any more information on Dr Roger Bell. I am also considering using him for the ETS surgery. 

sorrt for long reply Adam, was too scared of backing out to look on this site for a while but have just replied, he seems like a great surgeon for this but is early days, do you live in Melbourne?  

Day 1 after surgery and stupidly decided to have a really spicey burrito,  my cheeks have lit up red and I'm so so scared that it hasn't worked,  please someone tell mee that the blushing and heat flushing isn't caused by the same nerve and that this hasn't been a waste of 10000 dollars and all this stress pain side effects and anxiety for nothing, really feeling worried now!!! :( wish I was back home with family and not in Australia where I have no family to help me work this out :(

Edited by Jo23

A blatantly inaccurate misquote. (I can play this game too mojow)

Jo23- mojow quoted me as saying: "Jo, Flushing is not Blushing you are aware that they are different?" If you scroll back to the quoted date, you will see that I never wrote such a thing. I would not say something in such a blunt manner, and with no further explanation. I private messaged you earlier Jo23, and I spoke to your question of you flushing when you ate the spicy burrito in the message. I just wanted to be clear that these words that were portrayed as mine, were not. Thinking of and supporting you throughout your journey. Be well.

Hi Jo23,

Please don't worry about going red when you are eating spicy food. ETS surgery is supposed to purely work for blushing, it doesn't (isn't supposed to) work for flushing so if you went red when eating spicy food or having a hot shower before then expect that now. It doesn't mean you will blush. I had ETS over a year ago now and as for the flushing, it's gone down dramatically since the beginning of my surgery and before I had ETS (again this surgery isn't known for reducing flushing so it may or may not reduce for you, time will tell) 

I can't wait for you to get out there in the world and put your surgery to the test, the best test is the unexpected! It's one thing being in your home and testing it but once you're out there with the general public and you're put into situations you can't control you'll know for sure if there's a difference or not....which I'm sure there is as the doctors these days are much more experienced. 

Me and Fedup both went through a good few weeks straight after surgery where we were in panic stations! I'm sure much more people have also done the same thing, it's change but it's change you will adjust to and love xxx

Almost 3 Months After Surgery:

Heart Rate- My resting HR is 42-44. I have had no ill effects of this though so I am not checking it regularly so as to not worry about it. My heart rate does come up significantly with exercise, and I am able to do the same physically as I used to (I finally got back to some running!). 

Sensation- The numb spot on my breast is completely gone, I have no issues with this now.

Finger Pruning- This still happens if I am at all dehydrated. I have learned if I drink my recommended ounces of water daily it happens much more seldom. 

Headaches- I have not had one since early August. I really think these happened as a combination of the physical and emotional stress that my body and brain were going through post surgery. I strongly believe that for me, they could not have been avoided but possibly they could have been better managed. There are posts out there that point to headaches as a lasting side effect of ETS, I do not quite understand the pathophysiology of this happening, but they did happen to me. I am feeling confident that they will not return though, let's hope I'm right!

Compensatory Sweating- I was not a sweater at all before ETS. I literally used to be the only dry person around when the weather was stifling and oppressively hot. Knowing this, I assumed I would not suffer from CS much, if at all even. Well I was wrong, I sweat more now than I ever did before ETS, and the sweat comes from my upper back, my lower back, my cleavage area, under my breasts, my inner thighs, the backs of my knees, the fronts of my shins and tops of my feet. It's a very odd sensation that I am getting used to, but I don't like. I do only sweat when it's hot (thankfully), but the amount and places are odd and overwhelming sometimes. The worst part for me is that I sweat at night (even with the AC going, if it is humid out) and I'll wake dripping from my back and cleavage or sometimes just covered in a sweaty film everywhere. I shower more frequently now due to this. I do miss the infrequent beads of sweat that I used to get on my forehead on really hot days, I think those kept my inner thermostat well regulated and my increased sweating now is a result of not being able to do that well.

Blushing- Gone. Gone. Gone. I still get the feeling occasionally but have checked the mirror and I am pale. I still get nervous for big stuff (meetings and presentations), but I do not blush. I no longer get nervous when I am faced with less stressful situations that would have resulted in blushing in the past for me (talking about my personal life with coworkers, telling a funny story with lots of eyes on me). It is such a nice feeling to just keep talking and to be my true self. :)

I feel 100% like myself again, physically and emotionally (minus the sweating, but I am now accepting that as the new me). I am so thankful that I took the leap to get ETS, yet I do wish that I had been better prepared for the emotional and physical toll it would take on me. I hope these posts will help others to prepare better for the aftermath and to reach out if they are needing help/support. 

Be well.

Sorry have been gone a while and missed all of this until now, I realise that flushing and blushing are different i think I was just freaking out as I sort of thought that I would be immune completely from going red, but I realise that they are different :) 

i am feeling almost a hundress percent normal now which is great, so far no cs whatsoever!!! 

As for blushing I'm still unsure, I've only had oneTime when I had an extremely embarrassing experience and was able to look in the mirror and was white!!!!!!!! So happy about this, but have that blush feeling maybe once a day (probably as I've started a new job as a waitress so this is actually a lot lower than before ets as this would usually be a difficult time for me) so far have no been able to check skin colour when this happens so hoping and praying that I am not really blushing, will keep you updated but feeling positive, thanks all for support x

Had a few more blush situations last night as was my first shift on a busy and brightly lit bar (I usually am prone to blushing in brightly lit areas where I feel more exposed to people noticing) didn't get to check in the mirror but my friend said I didn't blush once!  Hope he isn't just being kind, still find it hard to believe!  forgot to mention one side effect that I've got as it dosnt bother me at all my my right boob is almost completely numb of feeling ? weird, but as I said it dosnt bother me. Have a good day everyone 

Thanks for checking in Befree, things are about the same since my last update.

The low resting heart rate still occasionally captures my thoughts, as I wonder what aging might do to exaserbate the possible effects of a low heart rate. As of now my only immediate symptom is that I can't get my heart rate over 140 no matter how hard I work out. Yet, I'm not sure if this is a bad thing even.

My CS has dwindled to pretty much nothing with the temps and humidity dropping for the fall, although I'm much hotter when I sleep and require little to no clothes/covers. Strange change for me as I used to wear layers and even a hat to bed on cold nights. My husband is still getting used to me no longer being a blanket hog.

Most importantly, my blushing is gone. I run meetings without a problem, I teach with no issues, I can even be put on the spot awkwardly and even if I feel the uh oh what will I say anxiety, it no longer grows into that horrible uh oh I'm going to turn red anxiety. This feeling took a few months to begin to dwindle, but what a relief and change to not have the worry any longer.

I'm so thankful not to have blushing as a constant deterant/obstacle for me now. I'm much more outgoing in my career pursuits now and I feel like I'm finally able to live as confidently on the outside as I always felt I was on the inside.

Ultimately ETS has made my life better and I hope that trend continues forever. 

Brilliant Fedup, so happy for you! Although there are changes I always remember how I was before and where I'd be today if I hadn't had ETS. Great that you've gotten to experience the hotter months too so you know how your body will react at its 'most tested' time of the year. 

Its very strange isn't it, you are aware when in a situation that this is the point you'd crack and blush and all the other horrible feelings yet it just passes by and then you look back and think wow, this is what ETS has done! I guess it will take time to realise there is nothing to worry about now when in a social situation. The future is much brighter than before ? Xxx

Befree- Good words ?. I'm still reluctant about the surgery and the side effects, such cs. I need to find that push up to go forward with th surgery.

one more time, thanks to all the posts ?

FedUp77 - very happy to hear that you doing very well ?

regards to all