A quick update from me:

Mirvaso:

I tried Mirvaso on a "test area" on one of my cheeks. At first i started to get white spots on the cheek (not a good look). After an hour or so the area became almost completely white. For me having constantly rosy cheeks, it was easy to see where the Mirvaso had been applied (The area was also a little whiter than the rest of my facial skin). But, I tried to look in a mirror during a blushing period, and I also tried to make my face red through exercise and always checking the color. During these periods, a redness came back (Seems like flushing/blushing might come from deeper vessels and not only in the vessels in the outer skin. I am therefore not going to keep using Mirvaso. I also do not think it would be a good look, applying it to all of my face, and I also got rebound flushing after 24 hours. 

Effexor (Venlafaxine):

Started taking this today! I will update after about 3 weeks to let you know how I am doing then.

I found a couple of people on other channels using Effexor, who seem to have got a good result from using it for curing blushing (Links under):

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/297763-how-i-stopped-keratosis-pilaris-rubra-faceii-red-cheeksflushing/

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f30/let-s-say-you-take-an-ssri-for-a-year-128288/

Cheers

New update on Effexor (Venlafaxine):

I started on 37,5 mg/day for one week to get use to the medicine, and then increased to 75 mg/day. I have now been on 75 mg for 4 weeks.

I did get some minor side effects the first weeks. A bit more intense dreams and also remembering a lot more of what I have dreamt about. Taking longer to come/ejaculate, also thinking less about sex. Increased heart rate, although I have not tested this, it feels like it. Also I feel a little pressure from the brain(inside the head, especially a couple of hours after taking Effexor. I see all of the side effects as minor, and not something that bothers me. 

The side effects  have decreased, but I have not got rid of any of them completely. The dreams are maybe just a little bit more intense as before taking effexor, and nothing that bothers me. I am not dating yet, but taking longer to come I only view as a positive side effect.  I am not bothered by any of the other side effects, because they are barely noticeable and might even disappear completely. The most bothersome is the pressure of the head, but it is not much at all. 

So, has it cured blushing? I definitely blush a lot less. I have been in situations that previously was a guaranteed blush, and I didn´t blush at all. I have had 1 major blushing episode recently, but the blushing was less intense and I "got back to myself" a lot quicker. 

Also, my flushing has decreased a lot. I experience it a whole lot less, and when I do it is less intense.

Now that the summer holidays is over I am going to get a greater experience of the effect of Effexor. If I feel I am not where I want to be I might try a higher dose. 

To sum it up: I definitely recommend trying Effexor, it helps with both blushing and flushing. I wish I found this sooner. I think especially for people who have not had this problem for too long will benefit a lot, because they might be able to easier get over the blushing even if the medicine doesn´t completely cure it. But for people who have had the problem for many years, like myself, I also highly recommend it. Especially since it does help a lot, and the side effects are so minor. For me it sounded so drastically taking medicine/antidepressants, but I did it only because I wanted to try it before going for ETS. To people with that concern, I would say just try it. You don´t feel "high" or "drugged". in any sense, I actually don´t feel that much different, only happier that I am blushing less. This was a major concern I had before, which is why I previously never even considered taking antidepressants. 

I have not been in too many situations that I previously have avoided, so I am going to expose myself more the next couple of month to really give this a test and see how it goes. I will let you guys know how it goes after that. I have tried to be as honest as possible in my experience, and bare in mind it has only been 4 weeks. Do of course not take only my word for it, but consult a doctor if you want to try this yourself. 

Cheers :) 

Hi Blushingman,

I was on Effexor for a few years and agree that it does help with blushing and flushing. I think I was on 150mg a day, and came down to 75 for most of the time, and then dropped to 37.5mg. Of course as you know, you have to start off slowly and build up. If anyone is thinking of doing this your GP will fill you in on the why's for doing that. I think the side effects vary from person to person, I do remember a bit of "brain pressure" for want of a better term, but nothing to serious. After the initial nausea starting off, you don't notice to much difference while you're on it. I have always been a vivid dreamer, so I didn't notice to much difference in that area, and I don't think that I had much of a difference in heart rate. I don't recall a delay in ejaculation but I do agree with not having sex on the mind as much {kinda weird isn't it}. Personally I found that even though it definitely helped with blushing, in my case I still did a bit. Probably helped with flushing more in my case. I stopped taking it about a year ago and have been medication free since then. The reason I stopped was that I had tried a lot of medications before Effexor and was just tired of taking pills, as well as the cost involved. Being over fifty years old now I was tired of medicating for so long. Cheers

Blushingman, im soo happy that i worked for you. This pill has been a life savior now that i can not do surgery due to money. To be honest i barely think about blushing anymore. I started taking it june 22. I noticed if i forget one day the next day i feel dizzy nauseous and a little like a zombie. So, yeah it is kind of addictive but i dont mind as long as is helping me a lot with the blushing problem. It does help a lot with the flushing too. May God bless everyone!!!

Update 3 - Effexor (Venlafaxine)

I didn´t plan to be updating so soon, but because of changes I feel I should. I have been on 75 mg for 6 weeks now. Effexor is an SNRI btw. 

Effects on blushing:

I have been in meetings and other situations where I did not blush at all. I could talk, and be myself. I have not given a presentation, or something of that nature, so I can not yet tell if the medicine works for that as well. 

Being in crowds, like a cafeteria, I no longer feel the anxiety of fearing that I am going to blush. This is really nice, and how I expect most people feel around others. Not being afraid  or feeling anxiety, just being part of the environment and enjoying it. 

Side effects:

Short term memory loss: I have started to experience this several times now. For me this is the scariest of the side effects I have experienced yet. I can be talking to someone and getting a thought of what I should say next. If I don´t get the thought out immediately, for instance because the other person starts to talk some more, I am not able to remember a little later what I was going to say. The thought just vanishes, and I am not able to "find it" again. 

Sexual side effects: I still think a lot less about sex. But also recently it has become harder to ejaculate. It takes a long time,  and if I manage to do so, I can only do it once per 24 hours. This is not something I am used to at all. I could do it 5 times a day easily before, if I wanted to. Also, the time it takes to come now feels way too long. It was nice in the beginning, not coming to quickly, but not it is impossible without taking a long time. Also, the penis is less sensitive and orgasm less intense, so it is not as enjoyable as before taking Effexor. 

Loss off appetite - I think less about food, and do not feel the need to eat as often or much. Therefore I have lost some weight. I think this goes together with the lost interesse in sex. Since you have extra hormones produced in the brain that is a part of feeling well, getting it from sources like sex and food might not be as necessary any more. 

What I am going to do next:

My goal is to be able to live as I want, without ever having to take choice because I think I might go red or not. And finding a solution that has as few side effects as possible. Here is my plan next:

1. Wait a little longer and see if the side effects wane. If not:

2. Try an other SSRI/SNRI. Since people react differently to the medicines, I might get fewer side effects from a different kind. The only thing I don´t like about doing this is that it first and foremost has been Effexor that has been pointed out on this forum as the medicine that helps with blushing. Anyone who has tried a different kind with success in curing blushing?

3. Try a combination of beta-blockers and SSRI/SNRI. Like I have said, I have previously used propranolol before presentations and meetings, with quite a success. But I had to take more and more, I got side effects I did not like.  I of course also still blushed a lot every day I didn´t take it. You can get propranolol as a slow release capsule. I was thinking, instead of taking a lot of SSRI/SNRI or a lot of a beta blocker, perhaps a combination of the two in low doses would be the perfect cure for blushing? Both do help, that I know, and taking a low dose with the "slow release" function, you could just take two pills every morning, and hopefully not get severe side effects. 

4. Add an other medicine to the one I am already using. Sexual side effects is very common and known, and I have found a lot about it online. One thing to do is actually add an other brand of antidepressants that is specifically known to stop the negative sexual side effect. If it also helps with the short term memory loss, I do not know. 

5. Try more natural supplements, like 5-HTP. Perhaps in combination with a small dose of beta blockers. This supplement you should NOT take with antidepressants. Also, I read that it isn't good to take for a long period of time, so that is something I need to look into. I need something I can take, that helps, everyday. Has anyone had luck with other natural supplements or herbs?  

6. See how the results from the actions have been. Decide whether I am satisfied with the results, see if there is some new things I have not thought of or consider having ETS done. 

An other thing:

I recently read "Why blushing hurts". For most people who have read this forum and about blushing online, I don't think you will find much new information. I have myself read basically everything I can find about this subject, so the book did not have too much new to offer. Still it was nice to read about a doctor (the author of the book) who himself has had the problem and therefor understood the patients. I got it from Amazon as a Kindle-Book. The doctor ended up having ETS done. 

Hi Blushingman

So happy to read you feel better. Also very pleased that you keep on searching for the cause ! I think you are from those that deeply help understanding FB ! Thanks for that ! I hope you won't have to have ETS and that we will find altogether a rational solution !

5. Try more natural supplements, like 5-HTP. Perhaps in combination with a small dose of beta blockers. This supplement you should NOT take with antidepressants. Also, I read that it isn't good to take for a long period of time, so that is something I need to look into. I need something I can take, that helps, everyday. Has anyone had luck with other natural supplements or herbs?  

I hope you remember that I have been experimenting Griffonia (5-ht) for now about a year, with success : same results as SRI in decreasing FB (very helpful, but not sufficient for very stressful situations. And no side effects at all (On the contrary, some benefices on the health, awareness)... As you know how SRI/SNRI works, from now on, I am more and more convinced that it is a non-sense to take SRI/SNRI instead of 5-ht (or other neurotransmitter with an inhibitive action like GABA).

Perhaps in combination with a small dose of beta blockers.

Very interesting. It as also my current preoccupation, and i am wondering if finding something elso to prevent adrenaline from being activated could be a way. FOr sur, BETA-bockers are the most efficient temporary cure : it is impossible to have a blushing with the good dose of beta-blocker, but for a short time :( ! I am looking for natural alternative for beta blockers, but it seems not to be so easy :/ Do you have more information about ? Adrenaline is for sure one of the keys.

I am preparing a project that i would like to share with all of us : building the schematic representation of the psychological and physiological stages and ripple effects of a facial blushing, from the external factor to the blush itself. I am convinced that we can explain why so many treatments have a more or less efficient effect, and also why some people think FB is psychological and other physiological. I haven't the answers hein :D ! Perhaps also could we find what make us different from non facial blushers. 

I think i could be SO instructive to build a global poll for trying to find common elements : about skin nature, heart rate, physical condition, food habit, and so many elements we could check altogether.

Just want to share an anecdote. Very interesting because it shows the power of plants, but also that we can understand a lot of things thanks to experimentation, observation and interpretation. I have tried olive leaves pills, that are supposed to decrease the blood pressure. I thought it was linked with a calmer heart rate and a higher control of emotions. But only two days later, i observe that i blushed abnormally (as before i take 5-ht). So i searched about the mechanism of olive leaves and see that it leads to a lower blood pressure by ... vasodilatation of blood vessels !!! Is was physics, fluid mechanics :o of course i don't take it anymore, but i am more than ever convinced that we could have interesting discoveries by experimenting, plants or anything else, in correlation with there alleged mechanisms in the body. > in particular, i think about trying plants that decrease the blood rate (not the blood pressure ^^ !!). Also very interested in the neurotransmitter GABA (GABA is for PROZAC the same 5-HT/Serotonine is for SRI) .......

Best regards !

Thank you for thinking of my well-being, Befree. But you don´t have to worry :) It is not actually a lot of pills, only two different kinds: Beta-blockers and antidepressants. The trick is to find some that works, because that can be individual. When it comes to Beta-blockers it is basically two different types you can try, Atenolol and Propranolol. Within antidepressants there are a lot more options. As the doctors says: "With no side effects, there are also rarely no beneficial effects". Since people respond differently you have to try it out, and see if you get positive effects and if the side effects are tolerable. I have spoken to several doctors, and read online, and it all says the same: "There have been people on these medications for decades, and without any extra long term side effects". Plus, if you do not like the side effects, you can just quit (There are no extra long term side effects). Just like with ETS, people respond very differently, because all humans are different. Some people get very good results and very few side effects from ETS, whereas with others it helps nothing with blushing and they get all the side effects. At least with trying medicines you can just quit them and try a different combination, or go back to normal. Since you do not have that option with ETS I therefor believe it to be wise to at least give medicines a fair try. The only thing I have been told is that i should not combine something that could be dangerous combining. From the supplements/medicines I have mentioned it is only 5-HTP and antidepressants that should not be combined. 

Kind words, rdusseau Thank you :)  Since I have experienced living with blushing I know what kind of hell it can be. I am glad to help as much as I can. 

Yes, I am very aware that you have tried Griffona. I believe it is the same thing as 5-HTP. I have found out more about using it long term. They have only done studies on people taking it up to a year. But, as a doctor told me, that does not mean it necessarily would be dangerous taking it for a longer period of time. I read that you only take 2 * 40 mg. From what I have read online people usually take a lot more. If you do not get the effect you want I would try a higher dose; like 100 mg before going to bed and 100 mg in the morning. 

I wish I had more information on Beta-Blockers. I don´t know of any natural alternative to this. The next thing for me I thing will be adding propranolol (slow release, and lowest dose possible) to the morning routine of taking pills.  

If you want to keep trying natural supplements, I would definitely go for GABA next. Next to 5-HTP this is one of the other supplement that I have heard people having a good effect from. There is no harm in at least trying ;) Just remember that, just like with 5-HTP and antidepressants, it can take 2-4 weeks before you notice an effect. I have not heard that these two should be dangerous combining. 

Hello to all

I'm Italian and sorry my english I hope you understand something

I state that I attend forum on the subject for years and I think I know everything and more 'on pills,creams etc..I tried everything but nothing worked, it should also be specified that i'm about 40 y old and of course what was the big problem at 16 y o becomes more suffused after years because it forces to have a different life avoing dangerous situations but that doesn't mean you solved the problem because it
back to the times,in a way is like stay ina awellchair you after ages noone complains.

I believe there is great confusion about what means facial blushing itself it means nothing i shoul say fear of chronical facial blushing

i describe my condition I believe is "the conditoin!" that describes this term "facial blushing" most of the time abused!..different personal conditions descibe different cases related most of the time on a social disconfort..at the end blush more than others is not to me an argument ..it means nothing..in most of conditions people blush more than others but in a way not compared to who accuse a real disfuncion!

to me it is an offese!! to what i went trought too hard to me to join the two different cases!

whatever

first phase you become red in abnormal manner but ypu do not have consciousness others laugh sometimes surprised but you are not seeing your picture , ypu do not have consciousness of yourself! you become red in abnormal manner only in cases where we prove emotions and perhaps we are tested, in my case questions in class, for the rest normal life

second phase when -you take consciousness because you see yourself in the mirror or same other ways and you understand the reson why classrooms had this reaction, we realize that the redness is totally abnormal!

third phase total phobia of what we can become at any time and it snaps the inevitable losing any security and obviously staff few very few people know!

obvious after years all that staff is less because you have learned haw to live with but the problem back in situoacions you are forced to take part.

I say this only x explain a phenomenon that for sure here includes many cases different tha mine.

This was a premise

in reality 'I am writing in relation to effexor

I do not care if it makes more 'calm down and then as result you blush less..it means nothing!..if you have the fear it is nmuch stronger than any calming medicine..the fear will not exist anymore only when you take
consciousness that you can just turn red in a acceptable way.at that point no more blushing no more fear.That would a great thing! I do not have high hopes.

Else blushingman says hr has reduced red if I should return to 20 yearsi  would understand right away if effexor worked or not, and if it worked I would have written a thousand times..it works!

I would never ever passed to another topic! .. Things are often complex

Any updates about effexor will be welcomed

Have everyone a nice day!

Edited by blucell

Medication seems to be able to stop blushing for some, I'm not sure this is a complete stop of redness and panicky feeling like ets produces. All I've read Is that it has stopped blushing, pretty sceptical on that one.....

Update - over 10 weeks since starting Efexor (Venlafaxine)

This drug definitely helps. Regarding blushing it is as previously mentioned; it is really helpful in "day-to-day" blushing, lik when talking randomly to people. It is also helpful in stressful situations, but it hasn´t completely cured blushing, particularly in these situations. But they are as mentioned still less intense. Regarding flushing it REALLY helps. I have almost no flushing now, even after workouts. 

The side effects have also subsided, which is a common thing when it comes to using antidepressants over time. The only side effects I have left is vivid dreams and remembering what I dreamt about (which doesn´t bother me) and the sexual side effects (which do bother me). It is not as bad as the last time I described it, but it still isn´t acceptable for a long period of time. I will therefore continue my plan as I mentioned in a previous post. 

I have read up a lot on medicines/drugs and supplements when it comes to curing blushing. I previously didn´t really think that drugs could actually help in reducing blushing to a great extent. Now I see that it actually can. Also, I was afraid of using antidepressants because I thought you would feel drugged/high, which I now know also isn´t true.  I have summed up different options when picking out drugs/medicines for curing blushing here: http://esfbchannel.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/4110-medicinesdrugs-that-cures-blushing/

Hey blushingman,

i read that you where taking efexor for 4 weeks. i wanted to ask you if you feel apathy or a numb feeling in the effect of it ?
i'm using a mixture of oils that is used as an antidepressant which is totally bio ( i bought it in a herbal store in my country),  and it has helped me being more calm, still i get some random fb and hasnt cured it totally but it has done a bit of difference. anyway  it has no side effects..except the dreams..WHICH ARE fu**** UP!! i dream every night now since i take it, they are vivid and intense dreams..anyway its nothing compered with what fb puts you through.. 

Hi TerryKof!
No, I did not feel apathy or numb. Only felt more calmer in social settings than before taking the drug. Not apathy at all, but feeling more how I assume most people feel in social settings (meaning: not having anxiety just for being in a crowded area). 
I have written down all the side effects I experienced in this topic ;) 

Thanks for the reply. 
Can you keep posting how is going and how is effecting you in the ongoing weeks i'd be glad to read your experience (im sticking with the oil remedy for now thou) and im researching as much as i can about efexor and from personal stories like yours because i want to try it.
Hope to read from you again man.

Keep us posted and best of luck

Blushingman -- any updates for us?  I've enjoyed reading this thread, and thank you for introducing me to the condition KPRF because it sounds like what I have.  Well...KPRF along with severe blushing and flushing.  Speaking of blushing vs. flushing....I have switched to calling it flushing because even my blushing (i.e. in response to social situations, anxiety, embarrassment, etc.) turns into flushing.  I've never just had an episode of normal blushing that goes away quickly.  It's always been 30 minutes - 2 hours of intense hotness and deep redness of just my cheeks and sometimes my ears.  

Thanks again to you and everybody else for their contributions to this thread and this forum.

Hi everyone, 
I wasn't planning on giving an update just yet. Not because I I don't want to, but because I wan't to have something of value to share if I am to make an update. Since I can see several people are curious, here is my current situation: 

I quit Effexor about a month ago due to the sexual side effects, and started on Remeron (Mirtazapin) instead. The sexual side effects subsided, but I got the side effects of being extremely tired and hungry instead. I could eat a lot to the point that I felt sick, and still be hungry. I just could´t keep using this drug, so I quit this too (I used it for little over a week, so I didn´t have a chance to check if it helped with blushing and/or flushing). 

I started using the natural supplements 5-HTP and L-theanine. This is the only thing I have been using since. My experience from using them is this: First of all I have not got a single side effect, which is nice. At the same time It also hasn´t helped with flushing. To me it was really strange how well Effexor worked for flushing. I could have a hard workout and still not be flushed. This nice effect is now gone. When it comes to reducing blushing, I feel like these supplements do help a bit (And I am guessing it is the 5-HTP that is what is most effective). It is not like like when I was on Effexor, but I do feel that I am blushing less than before starting taking any drugs and supplements. 

I am going to see my doctor over New Year and I think I have to try out the slow release beta blocker, Atenolol, now. Maybe also quit using the supplements, and add a low dosage of an other antidepressant. 

TerryKof and Flood, I am glad this thread can be of some help to you. My hope is that someone in the community of medicine and science will catch on to this, and start finding better medical solutions to this terrible problem. And also because I myself would appreciate someone with experience in solving this, sharing the information to everyone. 

Speaking of blushing vs. flushing....I have switched to calling it flushing because even my blushing (i.e. in response to social situations, anxiety, embarrassment, etc.) turns into flushing.  I've never just had an episode of normal blushing that goes away quickly.  It's always been 30 minutes - 2 hours of intense hotness and deep redness of just my cheeks and sometimes my ears.  

Flood: Yes the two terms can be somewhat similar. The way I define the terms is this: Flushing: Increased heat and redness of the face due to external factors (Working out, strong wind, heat, cold, etc.). Blushing: Increased heat and redness of the face due to internal factors (Being embarrassed, stressed, nervous, etc. and occurs in situations like meetings, presentations and job interviews). I too can be red and warm for a long time after the situation. I call this blushing, and remaining flushed for some time after. But of course, this is just the way I have found to be best in defining the two terms, not saying it is the absolute answer. 
Good luck to everyone, and keep searching for better solutions! :) 

Hi everyone, 
I wasn't planning on giving an update just yet. Not because I I don't want to, but because I wan't to have something of value to share if I am to make an update. Since I can see several people are curious, here is my current situation: 

I quit Effexor about a month ago due to the sexual side effects, and started on Remeron (Mirtazapin) instead. The sexual side effects subsided, but I got the side effects of being extremely tired and hungry instead. I could eat a lot to the point that I felt sick, and still be hungry. I just could´t keep using this drug, so I quit this too (I used it for little over a week, so I didn´t have a chance to check if it helped with blushing and/or flushing). 

I started using the natural supplements 5-HTP and L-theanine. This is the only thing I have been using since. My experience from using them is this: First of all I have not got a single side effect, which is nice. At the same time It also hasn´t helped with flushing. To me it was really strange how well Effexor worked for flushing. I could have a hard workout and still not be flushed. This nice effect is now gone. When it comes to reducing blushing, I feel like these supplements do help a bit (And I am guessing it is the 5-HTP that is what is most effective). It is not like like when I was on Effexor, but I do feel that I am blushing less than before starting taking any drugs and supplements. 

I am going to see my doctor over New Year and I think I have to try out the slow release beta blocker, Atenolol, now. Maybe also quit using the supplements, and add a low dosage of an other antidepressant. 

TerryKof and Flood, I am glad this thread can be of some help to you. My hope is that someone in the community of medicine and science will catch on to this, and start finding better medical solutions to this terrible problem. And also because I myself would appreciate someone with experience in solving this, sharing the information to everyone. 

Flood: Yes the two terms can be somewhat similar. The way I define the terms is this: Flushing: Increased heat and redness of the face due to external factors (Working out, strong wind, heat, cold, etc.). Blushing: Increased heat and redness of the face due to internal factors (Being embarrassed, stressed, nervous, etc. and occurs in situations like meetings, presentations and job interviews). I too can be red and warm for a long time after the situation. I call this blushing, and remaining flushed for some time after. But of course, this is just the way I have found to be best in defining the two terms, not saying it is the absolute answer. 
Good luck to everyone, and keep searching for better solutions! :) 

I'm too searching and researching as much as i i can into herbs and natural solutions due to the side effects of the pills which are almost every time bad. I'm sill open to   the pills opinion though. Now im using a tea (basani tea, i dont know how it is called in english or even if there is in the marked) i drink it morning and night, but in the most cases i drink it before i go out. it keeps me relaxed, i wont lie, i stlll may blush once during the day, but i feel that i keeps me calm and i can cooperate with it..still not the ultimate cure :/.. i've read that this tea is used as an antidepressant in generations. As long as i will find something better i will use it, and when i will find something i will post it immediately here  ,
Regards Lads and a happy new year with less blushing and flushing as possible.

Update:

Ibuprofen Gel:

I tried this out. Applied on one cheek, and not the other. After having the gel on the skin for 30 minutes, I had to wipe it off because the gel did not disappear otherwise. I did not have a reaction to the gel, good or bad. Just that the cheek that I applied the gel to was a little more flushed than usual on the evening the same day. Conclusion: I will not use this again. 

Drugs/medicines:

I still use 5-HTP and L-theanine. The result is the same as before; helps somewhat with blushing, but not in the most high pressured situations (And nothing for flushing). I think people who have had this problem for a long time probably are low on serotonin, because it can be depressing not finding cures. I therefore recommend trying out something that increases the serotonin levels. If you do not wish to use antidepressants, 5-HTP I think do help, and it also do not create side effects. Remember to use it 8 weeks, before judging it to work or not. 

I believe a combination of several drugs/medicines will be the best option, as described here: http://esfbchannel.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/4110-medicines-that-cure-blushing/#comment-34605. A combination, while using low doses, will give the least side effects as well. So I keep trying out medicines until I find the best possible solution in curing blushing, while simultaneously getting the least side effects.

Update:

Ibuprofen Gel:

I tried this out. Applied on one cheek, and not the other. After having the gel on the skin for 30 minutes, I had to wipe it off because the gel did not disappear otherwise. I did not have a reaction to the gel, good or bad. Just that the cheek that I applied the gel to was a little more flushed than usual on the evening the same day. Conclusion: I will not use this again. 

Drugs/medicines:

I still use 5-HTP and L-theanine. The result is the same as before; helps somewhat with blushing, but not in the most high pressured situations (And nothing for flushing). I think people who have had this problem for a long time probably are low on serotonin, because it can be depressing not finding cures. I therefore recommend trying out something that increases the serotonin levels. If you do not wish to use antidepressants, 5-HTP I think do help, and it also do not create side effects. Remember to use it 8 weeks, before judging it to work or not. 

I believe a combination of several drugs/medicines will be the best option, as described here: http://esfbchannel.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/4110-medicines-that-cure-blushing/#comment-34605. A combination, while using low doses, will give the least side effects as well. So I keep trying out medicines until I find the best possible solution in curing blushing, while simultaneously getting the least side effects. Right now I am trying out a new medicine, that I had not heard of before. It is called Egazil (hyoscyamine). It is mostly given out for people with excessive sweating (So people with CS from ETS  should definitely look into this). The doctor thought that since it prevents heat in the form of sweating reaching the outer skin, perhaps it would do something for blushing or flushing as well. I have been on it for a week, and it is too early to say if it helps anything at all. The side effects I have got is dry mouth and feeling warmer. The side effects seem to be declining though. 

Have you tried effexor yet? it's in my opinion, the most effective for anyone who has combined blushing and flushing. It changed my life anyway. 

http://esfbchannel.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/4091-effexor-for-facial-blushing-75-mg/

Have you tried effexor yet? it's in my opinion, the most effective for anyone who has combined blushing and flushing. It changed my life anyway. 

http://esfbchannel.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/4091-effexor-for-facial-blushing-75-mg/

Hi Beastywild,

If you are going to respond to my latest updates, please make sure that you have read my previous updates first. Had you done so, you would not have had to ask that question ;) 

Hi Beastywild,

If you are going to respond to my latest updates, please make sure that you have read my previous updates first. Had you done so, you would not have had to ask that question ;) 

Sorry, just read it now. Sorry to hear about the side effects. Guess I'm lucky I didn't really get these and if I did they subsided eventually 

Update:

Atenolol (Beta Blocker):

I have started with a low dose of this. I have already seen great results in terms of solving blushing. I had a "high pressured" meeting type of situation, and I don´t think I blushed once. If I did, it was very minor. Usually in these situations I would blush quickly, and my face would remain hot and flushed throughout the entire situation. The side effects I have got is fatigue, decreased physical performance and cold hands and feet. All side effects were expected, and I believe you always get these. The bad thing is that Atenolol do not last for the entire day, but has a half life of 6-9 hours, so you would have to take an other dose in the afternoon. It seems to me that they do not make a lot of slow/extended release versions of beta blockers any more. 

The future:

I feel like I am coming close to what will be my final "mix of medicines/drugs" to be taken everyday. I will definitely use a beta blocker, and it will probably be Atenolol. I might increase to a higher dose. I have to way the effect with the side effects. An alternative is adding an antidepressant, with the lowest possible dose (Instead of a high dose of a beta blocker). Also, I wonder if adding a stimulant can help with the fatigue of beta blocker (without it blocking the positive effect the beta blocker has in reducing blushing). To sum up: I will use Atenolol, and maybe add a low dose of antidepressants for curing blushing. And if possible, maybe adding a stimulant to counteract the fatigue from beta blockers. 

A problem that I have is that doctors know so little about blushing, flushing and KPRF, let along using drugs/medicines in curing this. I therefor feel like I have to research this a lot on my own, and almost convince doctors that this helps (Since you need a prescription to get these medicines/drugs). Recently I got a new doctor because the previous moved away, and I had to explain the problem all over again. My experience is that doctors view medicines/drugs differently, and someone is totally ok with it, others have a very restricted view and want to prescribe as little as possible. When you have tried everything else, know this is a physical problem that can be solved with medicines, having to deal with doctors who do not understand the severity of this problem is just an extra factor of frustration. If you ever find yourself to be in a situation where you think a drug/medicine can help you, but the doctor do not want to help, I suppose the only thing you can do is find an other doctor. Anyone who has had a problem with this? 

I must say, having the ETS/ESB-surgery is starting to look tempting. Just to go in to a hospital, be done with this problem the same day and having it gone for the rest of your life, would be so great! Especially since it seems that I can not find drugs that you can take in the morning, and having it last for the entire day. Making sure that you take drugs twice a day, every single day, is certainly not ideal. The reason why I am stilling trying this out is because blushing isn´t guaranteed to disappear from the surgery, but side effects are basically guaranteed and they are also permanent. Also, I view taking drugs as a temporary solution as I believe (and strongly hope!) that better solutions will be found in the future. 

Hope everyone is doing well, and are finding the best solutions possible for themselves to this horrible condition! Let´s keep searching and pushing for solutions, and post it in the forum! Cheers, :)