Befree

My story

A little observation I've made, my complexion is much different now if I compare it to before ets. When I used to wake up in a morning my whole cheek area and forehead and chin were always so very deep red! Now when I wake up my skin tone and complexion blends in with the rest of my face! It's so much paler that I could wing it and not bother with make up. My skin was so horribly red before that my eyes seriously looked like panda eyes with the colour change from under my eyes to my cheeks! 

Another little observation, the temperature has suddenly dropped today to around 13 degrees, we went to an adventure play centre type thing today with my children outdoors for 3 hours in the pouring rain! Both my hands were cold but my right hand was a lot colder, I'd even go as far as saying it was freezing! When we got back in the car my left hand dried up from the rain much quicker and warmed up whereas my right hand was very cold for much longer (around 30 minutes) and took longer to dry. I guess this is down to the cut, perhaps one side was cut slightly different to the other. Not a problem obviously but something I wanted to mention as part of my 'ets life story'. 

Still extremely happy with my results and the only downer I feel is that I hadn't done it 20 years ago! 

And I've just realised typing this that there is another thing ticked off, I went to an adventure play centre with the general public and didn't even think twice about it before or after! Something else I would not have done before ets xxx

Thanks for your continual updates on your surgery results Befree, much appreciated.

I went and spoke to a surgeon the other day and am stepping closer to the ETS option I think. One major thing holding me back is my age though. I'm 53 and am a bit concerned about possible delays in recovery or complications. Although I know that it it's not probable, the age factor could create its own issues during and after surgery. I think about just putting up with the blushing, as I have done for so long now, and then I wonder how magical it might be to live a "normal" life for a change. I see the huge benefits that you are experiencing and that's encouraging. Big decision coming up in the near future I think. 

Ok so 15 degrees and below my hands start to get cold, get to 13 degrees and they are ice cold (the right more than the left)

Approaching autumn cooler months here now in the U.K. and having experienced the hotter summer months (including 3 weeks in America at 38 degrees) I can honestly say the swap for facial blushing and major panic is definitely worth the trade off for the CS. I feel great and the only regret I have is that I didn't know about this sooner...

Thats all for now xxx

Crimson flood thank you for reading my updates. It's completely a personal choice but if you can find a way of at least helping the blushing then life would be much easier and pleasurable, even if it's not by going ahead with ETS. Don't give up hope that you can over come this in some way or another. 

Good luck with your decision making and I hope you find the right treatment for you x

Oh my goodness I could not have tested myself more than I did an hour ago! 

Christmas shopping and I pick this porcelain ornament up, completely not realising it's head wasn't attached and what happened....yes it fell off! Smashed to pieces right smack bang in the middle of the isle! 

My cheeks didn't burn, I didn't shake, I didn't panic, I dealt with the situation for a number of minutes whilst the shop assistant swept the mess up with onlookers having a nosey! And you know what, I even carried on shopping in that same shop, paid for my items at the til with no worry (which, after the following event would have shaken me right up for days) and I can hold my head up high and say thank you, thank you to the newspaper for bringing ets surgery to my attention and thank you to my surgeon and thank you for everyone's support. I think my life has dramatically changed and I just can't wait to be challenged again! 

Oh my goodness I could not have tested myself more than I did an hour ago! 

Christmas shopping and I pick this porcelain ornament up, completely not realising it's head wasn't attached and what happened....yes it fell off! Smashed to pieces right smack bang in the middle of the isle! 

My cheeks didn't burn, I didn't shake, I didn't panic, I dealt with the situation for a number of minutes whilst the shop assistant swept the mess up with onlookers having a nosey! And you know what, I even carried on shopping in that same shop, paid for my items at the til with no worry (which, after the following event would have shaken me right up for days) and I can hold my head up high and say thank you, thank you to the newspaper for bringing ets surgery to my attention and thank you to my surgeon and thank you for everyone's support. I think my life has dramatically changed and I just can't wait to be challenged again! 

sweet, Did your doctor cut both sides in the same operation. I'm using this thing called custom cover drops, i mix 3 drops of this strong as hell makeup into my aftershave cream and it covers most of the red for the whole day. people never tell me i'm red, am i okay, am i sick blah blah blah feels so good doesn't it?. I will get ETS eventually though coz i do get that hot wave all over my body, just can't see the red much

He didn't michael1, he cut the right side then 4 weeks later he cut the left. 

I used to use a green tinted moisturiser as green is supposed to be the strongest colour to tone Red down, also wear a green Top, it will reflect onto your face and tone the red down x

What kind of drops you use??

m.sephora.com/product/P394579?skuld=1676501

You probably need to buy 2 different shades and mess around with different creams but when u find the right combo no one notices u are red/got makeup on. You can buy a make up spray setter and it stays on in the shower/doing sports...

Small update for those interested in my ongoing progress:

Gustatory sweating now happens with chocolate, perhaps this has always been the case but with Christmas I've now noticed this side effect. Virtually no issue at all.

Hands get super freezing cold to the point they can ache, given the fact I don't blush this is a welcomed side effect in cold temperatures.

Goosebumps on my right side much stronger now, I can feel them and see them whereas last winter this wasn't the case.

Still able to sweat all over, including forehead and hands can get clammy now. Shortly after surgery my hands were always dry (not to the point of needing cream but noticeably dryer than before ETS)

Compensatory sweating, given that it's now winter here this has no effect on me, I can wear layers and go for long walks no problem.

Blushing, none what so ever. I sometimes feel nervous approaching a situation but that passes once I'm 'in the moment' I am totally grateful that I no longer blush and that's the reason for my surgery.

Flushing, this has again reduced significantly this winter compared to last. I can have hot meals, spicy meals and be Ina hot room all at the same time and I will barely flush at all (a 2 rating,10 being the worst) on occasions when I do start to flush if it's way too hot etc and it's effecting me, this will pass in a matter of 10 minutes when I take myself away to a cooler room. Very excited about this one as it is reducing very much as time goes on. 

So far I am very happy with the way my recovery is going, those early days aren't how your body will always be, I think your body needs time to adjust after surgery and mine is definitely finding new ways.

Just a minor thing I've noticed for about a month now, when I have a shower (I have really hot showers) my right hand is actually a shade of red but my left hand is as pale as it was before I got in the shower ? It doesn't feel hot but it's definitely a completely different shade to the other side! X

Tester day again today, had to get the bus to the dentist for a check up. When the bus came a little girl on her bike with her mum almost went into me, they apologised and then I paid my money on the bus and sat surrounded by people, so far absolutely fine. 

Got to the dentist, paid my money (hands at this point were so cold I don't know how I managed to get the money out of my purse) sat in the waiting room with people facing me, absolutely fine. 

Called in and once the dentist had checked my teeth I had to wait 5 minutes on the side chair to get my x ray results so the dentists assistant was talking to me, again absolutely fine. 

Went out the dentist to do a bit of shopping and Amman shouted over to me 'how do you keep your hair so goegoeus'! 

Went into one of the shops and once I'd got to the check out the lady serving me put some items through at £1 when they should have been 25p and with a big queue behind me I told her it was wrong and she sorted the problem out, she started talking to me whilst she was correcting the bill.

When I went into the pasty shop and would normally point to the one I want but I read the correct description and asked for the one I wanted, took the time to look at the counter calmly and then read what I wanted.

Before ETS I would have been in pieces just having an incident with the bikes at the bus stop and then everything else to follow would have put me on high alert and shaken me up for the rest of the day.

Its days like these where I really see the major changes ETS has given me and I absolutely love it ??

Oh and.....NO BLUSHING what so ever ????????

Edited by Befree

I've decided to stop my updates, I feel that people aren't appreciative or even most of the time acknowledge that I've updated my story and to now be told I'm wrong that surgery hasn't advanced with the surgeons skills and knowledge in 20 Years is utterly ridiculous. Good luck to most of you, ?

I've decided to stop my updates, I feel that people aren't appreciative or even most of the time acknowledge that I've updated my story and to now be told I'm wrong that surgery hasn't advanced with the surgeons skills and knowledge in 20 Years is utterly ridiculous. Good luck to most of you, ?

Befree i understand you...but think it in the long run, like once a 2-3 months writing a short paragraph or even in 6 months that will cost you only 2-3 minutes.
There are a lot of other people around that suffer from erythrophobia that havent find out what they have, and one day they may end up reading your story. You can change somebodies lifes decision to do the ETS or not, depending on the long run how it goes for you. The problem with ETS as i've read all around is that in the long run it vanishes his effects, 10-15 years. I know that you eventually will forget to write about your ets in the ongoing years but i wish for you to keep writing as much as you can in the updates, when you have free time of course :)

Thanks for your encouragement everyone, these forums can be so negative when I'm such a happy person! 

Well it's getting to the warmer months soon and today the sun is shining and I'm really looking forward to this years summer. Last year I had the worry of 'what if' but after experiencing the hot summer months and going over to Florida and New York and knowing how my body reacts I can really chill out much more this year. 

So my progress is pretty much the same, I did notice that when I'm in the shower (very hot shower) my right hand is always more red than the left, as my FLUSHING (completely different to blushing ?) has reduced my hubby asked me if this could have moved to my hands! Not sure that's even possible lol 

Another observation, I got really angry a few weeks ago (my children were being a handful and hubby was grumpy all weekend) and I started shouting and just kinda having a paddy lol but my face didn't go red with the anger and frustration Etc I'm talking about flushing here like when you are really riled by something and it makes your face go kinda red with anger so that was a pleasant surprise.

Flushing from a hot shower is still reduced after ets and it completely goes now within an hour back to a really pale face. Before ets I could still be red the following morning! 

Goosebumps are definitely there, all over my arms when I'm freezing. 

Current heart rate right this second is 64bpm

Been trying to lose weight (pregnancy weight) and I've lost 13lb in 9 weeks, have about 1 stone to go so not a major amount but just wanted to mention as someone asked me if ets has stalled this. I think reports of ets patients having problems with feeling drained and lack of energy for too long may have more difficulty in this area purely due to not being able to do as much. 

Blushing episodes including minor burning Etc  NONE ? I keep describing myself as floating on a cloud because that really is how I feel, relaxed with no triggers that blushing is starting.

Booked to go back to Florida next summer so a 2 year comparison for that will be interesting....

Not much else to report really so we'll see how these next few months go but feeling really hopeful for another great summer ?

Hi everyone,

So I'm now on my 2 year anniversary since ETS surgery....

Looking back, time is definitely on my side, although I didn't find my surgery to be a negative experience it's definitely gotten better over time.

The most important thing to report is absolutely no blushing episodes at all and I cannot tell you how amazingly excited this makes me. I used to blush walking down the street passing a complete stranger that never even noticed me so to now be able to say that 2 Years on and yesterday I went to town with a packed shop and packed my bag at the check out in a busy long line queue and didn't even blush once or even feel 'heated' is absolutely astonishing! 

I can still sweat from my head on both sides,

I still have gustatory sweating on the right side but I wouldn't say it's as bad as straight after surgery, perhaps a 40% decrease now.

My compensatory sweating is either getting lesser or I'm just coping better. This year has been a massive improvement from last summer, will know more as the years go on but so far so good and things seem to be getting better or I'm just adjusting and don t see a problem.

My life now isn't 100% better, it's 300, 400, 500% better. I cannot write in words how grateful I am for having this surgery and there is no way in hell I'd turn back the clock! Ok a bit of compensatory sweating is a sub but even that I'm not noticing the same as last summer now, I am absolutely on top of the world and please please if someone is out there and feeling alone, there is hope, it's a risk yes, but there is hope and do not give up ❤️