Sign in to follow this  
barbarian

does FB'er have more side effects from ETS?

Hi,

I am a FB'er, i dont have much sweating issues at all. a little underarm sweating, varied, not much overall. once in a while the underarm sweating hits me good, but not often.

I am concerned about ETS and suddenly getting a whole bunch of problems i never had before.

Do FB people after ETS have more side effects susceptability? like, after ETS, i could start sweating a lot? that would suck, if i got sweat coming down my back in my shirt, or on my stomach, while at work. i would hate that.

so that is my question. please help thanks

I live in Canada, where ETS is covered by universal heath care in extreme situations and not a big money-making business......I have been told that it is not recommended or ethical to be performed for anything other than a last resort for extreme palmer hyperhidrosis. It's effect on anything else (FB, underarm HH) would simply be a welcomed side effect and nothing more....ETS has side effects, no doubt about it. I now sweat sometimes excessively in the middle of my chest and back and sometimes for no reason when before I did not. It can be annoying, especially when wanting to wear certain clothes, it limits you. I cannot sweat from my forehead yet I am often clammy behind my neck for no reason, almost a fevery feeling. My body was always outta whack in regards to temperature regulation, but now even more so. I have the so called "gustatory effect" often. All these were side effects I was told about and mulled over for 2 years before I got the surgery. for me, it was a success because my palmer HH had seriously affected my quality of life, and there is no denying ETS is an absolute cure for palmer HH. A nice side effect is that I don't sweat from my armpits although that was never a serious issue for me. For me the side effects are annoying but a trade off. ETS was right for me....this was 7 years ago btw...Everybody is different and it is a matter of pros and cons. but from what you describe to me, please do not consider ETS. I can't believe some doctors are still even suggesting it as an option for anything other than palmer HH to make money...:S

I totally agree. I'm a Canadian too and also a chronic blusher. Doctors aren't allowed to promote their services here. I have talked with my dermatologist, my family doctor and my psychologist about ETS and they all seemed very sceptic about the procedure. My personal opinion is that ETS is too risky. I rather be a blusher than to have severe compensatory or gustatory sweating. They don't even know what are the effects in the long run. It's very sad to see that some ETS surgeons are selling the operation like it was as important as a manicure. "Micro-invasive surgery done in 15 minutes!"  :blink:

Some patients are still experiencing anxiety in social situations after the operation. We all know that ETS can't cure the anxiety. A therapy does that...

Anyways, Barbarian, please talk with real professionals before undergoing any treatment. 

Sorry for my poor english...  :huh:

Jack  :D

Unless you blush uncontrollably and know how it ruins your life I would suggest not advising someone to have the surgery for anything other than hand sweating is ridiculous!  

Yes there are risks, as long as you know you may have 1 or more side effects and have also spent time researching a good surgeon then I'd recommend having the surgery done. I blushed none stop, all the time, I ended up stopping in my house all the time because of it. It ruined my life! After having the surgery done, I have 2 small patches on my back of CS and only when its really hot. I have no other side effects and my blushing has stopped. I don't even feel like it will do it, if i stand in front of a mirror I can't even make myself do it!

Its amazing, find yourself a good surgeon, do some research on the side effects and know that you could have to live with those for the rest of your life but please don't dismiss it, its not as bad for some as it is for others and I was a blusher too so know what you're going through. 

Unless you blush uncontrollably and know how it ruins your life I would suggest not advising someone to have the surgery for anything other than hand sweating is ridiculous!  

Yes there are risks, as long as you know you may have 1 or more side effects and have also spent time researching a good surgeon then I'd recommend having the surgery done. I blushed none stop, all the time, I ended up stopping in my house all the time because of it. It ruined my life! After having the surgery done, I have 2 small patches on my back of CS and only when its really hot. I have no other side effects and my blushing has stopped. I don't even feel like it will do it, if i stand in front of a mirror I can't even make myself do it!

Its amazing, find yourself a good surgeon, do some research on the side effects and know that you could have to live with those for the rest of your life but please don't dismiss it, its not as bad for some as it is for others and I was a blusher too so know what you're going through. 

You had your surgery in the UK right. How much did it cost?? Did you need to have a ton of appointments before, did any medication work?? I got crazy blushing whenever i do anything remotely physical or sociable. You know any good places in the UK by chance?

I'm from the UK and had my surgery done in the North West of England. I can't remember the exact amount but it was something around £5200 (approx) I had my first appointment after trying many things, even hypnotism but now I've had ets I completely think that this type of blushing is something so much deeper than any kind of treatment can cure for me personally. Its like I was over active, over sensitive and out of control over the most ridiculously small things. So the consultation was £120 and the doctor asked if I had a letter off my gp (I didn't) so he wrote to him to let him know i wanted this surgery. He told me all the risks and the percentages etc and he mentioned in all the cases hes operated on he'd had 1 patient that had hornes syndrome but it was temporary. I booked in to have the surgery done a week and a half later! Then he had me back in to discuss how I was feeling with having the first side done and if I wanted to carry on with the second side and booked me back in (4 week gap between each surgery and omg i could feel the difference, one side burning the other nothing!!!) 

Where abouts in the UK are you located? x