cure

How do you guys cope with blushing at school?

It's only the first week of school and I'm already blushing pretty bad and experiencing high anxiety. School is probably the worst place for me, it's the place where I blush the most. I would like to quit but I can't, I need an education.

So do you guys who blush a lot at school have any tips for me?

How do you manage with group projects?

Being asked questions in class?

Oral presentations/debates?

Do you try to make friends or do you keep to yourself in class because you don't want to trigger blushing episodes?

Where do you sit, in the front or the back of the class?

School was hell on earth for me. I remember literally trembling on my way to school in the morning because I was so scared and panicking about avoiding any potential situations which might trigger a blush. I hated it with every ounce of my heart.

I am still in school, I am a junior in college now. What I wish I would have done earlier was go see a psychiatrist. I went through psychotherapy with him and he made me understand what is causing the problem (low self esteem and PTSD) and gave me the training to not be so affected by it. He also put me on medication which eliminated my blushing 99%. I would not have gone this far through school if it wasn't for the medication.

I second that. School was tough. I always had a cap on and sat in the back, never answering any questions although I really wanted to. Presentations were a nightmare. People kept asking me at uni why I was so red all the time and I just answered "high blood pressure". This condition is such a quality of life destroyer, I'm sorry to say. It does not get better with age. Sorry for being such a negativist.

High school was hard but college was a nightmare. I had a teacher and one student in particular that bullied me every day because of my blushing. I ended up quitting and finished my degree from home. I had constant anxiety at the time and suicidal thoughts. I just couldn't take it anymore.

However, I would have done two things differently:

1- I would have gotten psychological help from someone specialized in anxiety/blushing disorders.

2- I would have studied in a field that I was truely passionate about. I went to business school because my father wanted me to work for him but I didn't like it. If you really love what you are studying then it will take your mind off the blushing.

It's only the first week of school and I'm already blushing pretty bad and experiencing high anxiety. School is probably the worst place for me, it's the place where I blush the most. I would like to quit but I can't, I need an education.

So do you guys who blush a lot at school have any tips for me?

Do you try to make friends or do you keep to yourself in class because you don't want to trigger blushing episodes?

I made it through high school and college and nearly every day was horror. Sorry I wish I could say "it gets better" or "just be yourself!" or give some other stupid advice but the harsh reality is that you will probably blush sometimes. Oh well. Sucks but it is what it is. Even though I completed a 4 year degree at a university with a high GPA, my overall experience was TREMENDOUSLY affected by blushing. There are SO many things I would have liked to do differently if I didn't have that problem. But oh well I tried my best so I don't dwell on it.

Alright on to the questions:

No problem for me here. Not sure why but with a small group I don't have any problems usually. I always hated group projects but for other reasons. If you have trouble in small groups then try taking the lead from the start. If you sit there staring at the floor then eventually some a****** will say something like "well gosh aren't you quiet!" which will probably cause a rush of warm plasma to your face.

Sit front and center. Then when asked a question no one can see you except for the instructor who will usually be right in front of you so really it's one on one at that point. For classrooms with those stupid layouts where everyone faces each other you're screwed.

Know your material and practice it fully over and over. If you know exactly what you're talking about and you can speak loud and clear without any hesitation then you can go into autopilot, not giving yourself even a second to feel doubt or fear. Try to make it as quick as possible and most importantly, look at everyone in the audience. Do not look down. Reading with your head down is the worst thing to do. Keep constant eye contact but keep moving. Somehow keeping eye contact with as many people as you can at once makes you feel in control. Also by doing this you'll notice that maybe only 1/4 of the class is actually looking at you at any time. If you can get away with a power point presentation in a dark room then you are set. Always try this first.

Debates seem tough at first but having that other person up there with you alleviates the pressure of people staring at only you. Again, know the material inside and out. You really need to know exactly what you're doing here and know what to expect. Any faltering and you'll end up glowing.

Having friends helps. If you keep to yourself and you are the only one not talking then you are asking for big trouble. As soon as someone addresses you your face will be on fire. At the least make some people think that you're normal. It takes effort (at least for me) but I am pretty damn good at pretending to be open and friendly. Lots of cheesy smiles, loud voice, and careful intonation. Eventually people figure out that I'm an antisocial creep but by that point we're already familiar so I don't care and won't have any facial explosions.

Front and Center. Every time. Besides, how can you concentrate on anything in the back when you can see all of those stupid teenagers typing on their telephones during a class?

It's tough, no doubt. Recently I had to take a class in public speaking and I was very anxious! To handle my anxiety I say at the front of the class and made every effort to get up an speak as often as possible. The rational behind this behavior was that by appearing very extrovert I would override the perception of any blushing in my classmates. Remember that facial redness is supported by a whole bundle of other non-verbal cues that contribute towards the perception of embarrassment. Whether or not I successful convinced my classmates of calm and collection is irrelevant; what's important is that I took control of the situation.

BB

i always try to interact with my fellows, though its difficult not to get blush while presentations but i always tried my best to reduce the anxiety that took place inside me. communicating with your fellows helps a alot to feel comfortable while oral presentations etc or you should also have good friendly interaction with your teacher so that you will able to face and not get blush in front of them.