troubled

Had ETS 4 Months Ago, My Story

It's been about 2 years since the ETS surgery so, time for an update. First and foremost, I would do it again and there is no doubt about that.

Here is an update and keep in mind that I'd had ETS performed at the T2 level.

-Compensatory Sweating - This past summer (2011) the sweating increased to an 8-10 intensity level. Noteworthy is that 70% of the sweating was on the right side and 30% was on the left. Don't know the cause of that but could it have been a little bit different of a cut at the T2 level on one side versus the other? Who knows! It's not that noticeable to a person walking down the street though. This 8-10 level of intensity ocurred on 3 occaisions where the sweating was through the outer shirt of the two shirts I was wearing. Other times and most of the time in the summer months the intensity level was probably a 6 to 9 which is significant in and of itself but it didn't seep through to the outer shirt in those situations. Another thing to keep in mind was that this only occurs 3 1/2 months to 4 months a year and it doesn't happen continuously day to day, hour by hour. Probably 1-4 times a day when the temperature rose above 88 degrees. The rest of the year the sweating was 0-4 on the intensity scale. But, in the summer months I'd naturally go for my car that has cloth seats versus my other one which has leather...for the obvious reason that leather promotes more sweating, it's hotter.

-Blushing -There have been no episodes whatsoever. Remenber that I'd had a couple very minor blushes early on but, none now for over a year.

-Feet Sweating - As before it had decreased to what I would say a 0-4 level year round. It's a non issue.

-Hands - Completely dry year round.

There are no other negative side effects of ETS. The positive is that life is a lot easier. The trade off from blushing to compensatory sweating by way of ETS is, for me, a no brainer. The sweating is nothing compared to the blushing.

Let me know if any of you have questions. You can "Private Message" if you'd like.

Im just not ballsy enough to go under the knife like that..guess im just yella..but i just cant do it..

Just a brief note this time to let all of you know that post ETS is going well. It has been almost 3 years since the surgery and the only issue is compensatory sweating at the intensity as described in previous posts which is somewhat bothersome in the summer months and a non issue in winter months. In summer a "deep v-neck" T shirt under the Polo shirt is almost mandatory and it takes care of 90% of the issue. There has been no blushing, no hand sweat, and very little feet sweating and this has been as a result of the ETS T-2 level nerve cut. Do it all over again? Absolutely!

Good to hear one of the success stories. I have been on "blushing forums" since the beginning (late '90s), I've seen it, read about it & bought the t-shirt. Troubled is a good man for coming back for regular updates. There has long been a theory that people with successful ETS operations forget about their blushing and get on with their lives leaving these kind of forums behind and it's the minority (significant or otherwise) who loiter on the forums with bad luck stories. *

This is my first ever post on a blushing forum despite reading a legion of posts over the last 15 years (I'm paranoid about my privacy in this matter). Thanks Troubled for taking the time to come back with regular updates on a success story. A real rarity & it made me post, after 15 years of lurking.

* There is also another theory that "hanging around" blushing forums is of little help and can infact hinder your development. I don't know about the last part, but I can say that after a decade and a half of reading Internet posts I'm no better than I was in January 1998.

Many thank for the kind words, Startbar and, also, thanks

for opening up. I'll bet it helps all the readers of this forum to know they're not alone with this Erythrophobia and HH.

This blushing and hand sweat stuff is a real problem with which to deal and my memory of those pre-ETS days is still rather vivid. As you, Startbar, so aptly stated the privacy paranoia is so prevalant with all of us that the support we'd normally get for any other condition is not there. Hence we suffer alone and the more we isolate ourselves.

After ETS I no longer have those above issues but, I do have a lot of empathy for all those still suffering.

troubled

I Had noticed that the link in my very first post in this discussion, the ETS Satisfaction Survey results, no longer works. Evidently, the information was deleted automatically after a certain amount of time passed and as a result it no longer exists.

So, my hard copy of that survey is now in my computer in the form of a pdf file. These results relate to this efsbchannel discussion link below which you will have to copy and paste to your browser:

http://www.esfbchannel.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Printpage.pl?board=Post-ETS&num=1096029933

The information in this above link does not have the total results comtained in it but, can be had if you send me a private message with your email address. I will reply with the 9 page list of results attached to your email in a pdf format which you can download to your computer.

This survey is important. Each ETS patient rates their post ets results referencing facial blushing, palmer sweat, plantar sweat, compensatory sweating, etc individually and then they rate their overall satisfaction. The source of this survey is not quite clear but it gives you a feeling of the post ets experiences. Also, their rating system is a little confusing as you'll note.

The possibility exsts that I could get overloaded with requests so, give it a little time for response. Feel free to pass it around and if any of you know how to get this survey lnked to the discussion board, go forit.

Hi Troubled, here's hoping this post generates an email alert to you. How are you getting on as mid-summer fast approaches?

I'm very close to reconsidering my opinion on ETS and second my own point I made on this thread about potential bias in these kind of forums to the potential detriment of people with this condition. Troubled's post and particuarly his follow-up posts deserve careful consideration.

What are the lyrics to the tune "Summertime"? Could it start out like this "Summertime and the sweating is easy"? Well, it's compensatory sweat time in full swing with these hot summer months. After ETS 3 1/2 years ago compensatory sweating is fully expected and when the episodes take place all one has to do is remember the uncontrollable blushing days....which would you rather have? No question that ETS is one of the best decisions I'd made and there has not been one moment of regret for that decision. Compensatory sweating is manageable, uncontrolled blushiing is not.

For those of you considering ETS, it must be said again that "do not make that decision blindly". Get all the info you can, it's right there on the internet. Read the feedback in the forums, be aware of the potential side effects, look at the different T level cuts and know what that does. Get it straight in your mind that you will have side effects of some sort and most likely compensatory sweating. Do the head trip of what you'd rather have, the blushing or the side effect. It's a mental thing especially once the ETS part is done.

Even with compensatory sweating in this hot weather, life is cool.

Troubled

Hi blushers and ex-blushers......... I'm a 60 year old male blusher and have been since I was 12 years old. I've been looking on web sites over the last year as I'm convinced If I don't do something (ets) I'm going to die prematurely of some alcohol related disease. The fact of the matter is that the problem is getting worse, to the extent that I can't even go to the shops without feeling anxious anything like a solicitor's appointment (in a usually warm office, with bright lights) and not first drinking a 1/3 bottle of vodka is not possible. Even having breakfast with my teenage kids is difficult and I always opt for eating alfresco. The other day I walked into a supermarket and saw an ex-girlfriend with her back to me and I had to hide in the car park until I saw her leave. Erythrophobia is crippling me because I'm actually not that shy, I have a lot of friends and I know people see me as a fun sort of guy. So now I have to make a decision, ETS or alcoholism? Can I have ETS at age 60? In England it cost £5000 the doc says the NHS wont fund it, yet a young woman had her t*** done  on the NHS for vanity reasons- that sucks. I've never come across anyone else who has this problem so it's re-assuring to know that I'm not alone. Last but not least, my son might have inherited this curse, I dont know for sure but if he has I suppose I should be the guinea pig and if it cures me I can get him cured. Finally, please say a prayer for the American kid (and his parents) who took his own life in desperation, he could have been saved if he had only known about this website.

Hi blushers and ex-blushers......... I'm a 60 year old male blusher and have been since I was 12 years old. I've been looking on web sites over the last year as I'm convinced If I don't do something (ets) I'm going to die prematurely of some alcohol related disease. The fact of the matter is that the problem is getting worse, to the extent that I can't even go to the shops without feeling anxious anything like a solicitor's appointment (in a usually warm office, with bright lights) and not first drinking a 1/3 bottle of vodka is not possible. Even having breakfast with my teenage kids is difficult and I always opt for eating alfresco. The other day I walked into a supermarket and saw an ex-girlfriend with her back to me and I had to hide in the car park until I saw her leave. Erythrophobia is crippling me because I'm actually not that shy, I have a lot of friends and I know people see me as a fun sort of guy. So now I have to make a decision, ETS or alcoholism? Can I have ETS at age 60? In England it cost £5000 the doc says the NHS wont fund it, yet a young woman had her t*** done  on the NHS for vanity reasons- that sucks. I've never come across anyone else who has this problem so it's re-assuring to know that I'm not alone. Last but not least, my son might have inherited this curse, I dont know for sure but if he has I suppose I should be the guinea pig and if it cures me I can get him cured. Finally, please say a prayer for the American kid (and his parents) who took his own life in desperation, he could have been saved if he had only known about this website.

You can get ETS free in the UK, the last time I checked this out this was certainly the case, I think the trick in the UK is to insist upon a referral from the GP. Don't take no for an answer. Your anecdotal story convinces me more that it is as much physical as it is mental. No amount of "deep breathing" will aleviate it. Meeting 1,000 is just as difficult as meeting number 1. I'm sorry to say there's strong evidence to suggest it is hereditary as well.

At 60 I'm sure you realise you are not only at The Last Chance Saloon with this problem, you're also drinking last orders. I cannot tell you what to do, but if I were you I would strongly consider ETS. You might want to look, if you haven't already done so, at the post by "Troubled" from a little while ago. He was around your age mark and his life has been transformed since his autumnal decision to have ETS.

His name was Brandon Thomas and I also can't get him out of my head either. He was massively let down. RIP Brandon.

Hi Mikchek,

All's well especially since the summer months are gone, no compensatory sweating. It's now October and if the sweating does occur it's very minor and short lived. Back during the summer days the compensatory sweating reached new heights with the sweating soaking through the outer shirts fo the point that I did get comments on two occaisions. Admittedly, it was a hotter than usual summer with more humidity. Humidity is the trigger much more so than the temperature. An example is: 80 degrees farenheit and low humidity (below 35%), very little sweating. But, 75 degrees farenheit and higher humidity (above 50%), more compensatory sweating. I might point out that once the compensatory sweating stops it dries rather quickly. Not like the normal sweating of before ETS.

Nevertheless, after stating the summer experience above, the decision to have ETS is unwavering. I'm very happy with the results. 

Troubled

Thank you Troubled.

By the way and this is something that concerns me. Did you experience any hair loss? I've read that a few people suffer from hair loss after the surgery and i would like  to know your opinion about that.

Thank you.

Hi Mikcheck,

Hair loss? Very good question and I'd heard of that side effect as well. The only hair loss I had experienced after ETS, interestingly, was on the legs from the knee down to the ankle. It has been coming back very gradually, though. No hair loss from the head.

Back to the sweating issue, the only side effect I have now is the compensatory sweating of which was reported in earlier posts. But, just to reiterate, there is essentially none of the sweating now that the cooler months (September and October) have arrived. Again, during the summer months just past, the sweating seemed to have increased and this is 3 1/2 years from ETS. This past summer seemed hotter than usual with the increase in humidity. So, more attention was focused on managing the sweat during that time.

Troubled

Hello troubled,

I am a 40 year old male constantly suffering from facial blushing. Just like you I have been considering having ETS since the year 2000. But each time I would make the decision to go under the knife, I start making reasearch on the side effects and get so terrified by the horror story written by some ETS patient, that I will change my mind. I am planning on getting married this summer, and just the idea of being the centre of attention at the wedding makes me nerveous. Once again I am again considering ETS. I am willing to trade the facial blushing to some degree of CS. But one side effect that is rarely mentioned and is the most worrisome to me is the erectile dysfunction described by some ETS patients.

Have you noticed any erectile dysfunction since ETS? And can you tell me who performed the surgery for you, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Hi Termome,

I sure can identify with your hesitancy over the years to go ahead with ETS due to all the reported side effects.. Now that I've done it life has become even better. Your question about erectile dysfunction? None whatsoever. In fact in my research prior to going ahead with ETS I'd never encountered that particular concern. 

I've sent a private message to you regarding the doctor information you requested.

Troubled

Hi troubled

I'm a 43 year old male from London and have suffered with severe facial flushing since my teens.

It has truly affected my life and im finding im staying in more and cutting off my family and friends by making up excuse after excuse as im so paranoid abut it.

I have been to doctors and dermatolagists but they have never been helpful and just told me to stay away from certain foods and drink but as I'm sure you know it doesn't matter once a flush starts no matter what you do it can't be stopped.

I've read up on ETS and really want to go ahead with the procedure but the only thing I'm worried about is finding the right doctor/surgeon to go to for this and was wondering hoping you could recommend someone for this as your story sounds like its been very successful thanks and even if you can't I would like to say that your

Story has given me the confidence to finally go for this

Micky

Hi Micky,

Nice to hear from you and I can sure identify with your situation. In answering your question, I'm located in the U.S. and as a result  am not familiar with surgeons out of the country. But, it is imperative to find a surgeon who has experience in the ETS procedure. Can't say that enough. One way is to look up those surgeons who have studies posted on the web. Another is to contact medical practices which have a heart and lung specialty. Ask if they're familiar with ETS or who they can recommend. Once you connect with a potential surgeon ask what T levels they'd recommend cutting to solve your particular problem. This refers to solving facial blushing or FB plus hand sweat, etc. If the surgeon is not familiar with this, then pass on that individual. Also, contact some of the other forum members who live in your proximity.  Here's a chart with suggested T level cut/clamp recommendations:

Facial Blushing T2
Facial Sweating T2 or T3
Hand Sweating T3 or T4
Underarm Sweating T4 or T5

Good luck, Micky

Troubled

Troubled, glad to hear you are cured of the dreaded FB..I am looking into getting ETS as well and have looked into a few doctors. I was hoping you could send me a message to let me know who you had your operation with? Let me know if that would be possible and thanks!

Hi Lobster,

I like your name... Just sent you a private message regarding ETS surgeons. As a general rule, your surgeon selection should be based in large part on his/her ETS experience. This is very important and ask the surgeon questions in order to get that "comnfortable" feeling. Let me know if you have further questions.

Troubled

Hi Troubled.

I am 23 year old male. I have had facial blushing for 10years+ and it has got to the point now where i have to drink alcohol to socalise with friends/girls which i hate because i know im confident deep down. I go red when im not even embaressed. I dread seeing somone i know when im on the train for example to work or something, knowing if someone i knew came on a busy morning train and started speaking to me infront of everyone (where everyone is normally dead silent which makes it worse) would set me off and i would go so red!! I blush if any attention is on me (especially in groups including girls) i go sooo red i hate it! Then they say 'omg why you going so red' which makes it worse! I avoid family meals etc.

Will ETS cure all of this and let me be myself? I just want to be able to enjoy my sales job without the fear of going red!!

I want to be able to take girls/girlfriends out on dates without going bright red at the dinner table (they could just comment on my food or say a joke about it and something so small like that would set me off) ahhh i hate it, it makes me look awkward and then they feel awkward aswell! When i go really red it also changes the way i speak and react (absoulte killer cos i know that would show them im not a confident person, when i know i am apart from this awful blushing)

I would love to have banter with friends but i cant in the fear of going red.

I cant stand up for anyone in arguments/disagreements in the fear of going red.

I worry all day about situations going red. I say in my mind 'please dont go red please dont go red'

I feel like i cant carry on with my life without getting rid of this. It's getting me so down.

I know i could have a much better career, girfriend and social life if i got this sorted. I can be that loud, funny person i know i am! I would give up anything just to never go red again you don't understand.

I have tried beta-blockers and hypnotherapy and neither really worked - i dont really believe in that stuff anyway

Do you think ETS surgery will cure me ? I have no problems with sweating or anything, i need this surgery just for face blushing!

I have a Dr appointment next week to explain my situation and hopefully get recommended to a surgeon.

Which surgeon did you use and would you recommend him? Which hospital also?

Please help i just want to be confident.

Thanks so much for reading. I appreciate any advice and tips

Jay

Hi Jay

I can totally to relate to everything you have just said!! I have suffered with facial blushing fo rhte last 10 years, I am now 33 and I had ETS Surgery 10months ago. It got to the point where i had to something as it was SO debilitating. My Mum has also had the surgery 20 years ago. I like you am confident and this dosrder has held me back many a time, I work in Sales too so i battled with it every day. It is a massive decison and i was so apprehensive about doing it but one day i just had enough and it was geting me really down. I read up on it for a number of minths and the side effects freaked me out, specifially the Compenstaroy sweating. My mum had not really suffered much CS so i though that was a good sign and Im not really a sweaty person so thought maybe it wouldnt be too bad for me either.

So since the op....it definitely reduced my blushing and i would say the intensity of it, i still have a high colour and when its hot i can go red and look hot but what i dont seem to get is that bright intense redness when i just bump into someone!!!...which as u know is horrendous!! I also dont get the associated intense feeling of being completely overwhelmed by going red.  

However it is a risk and it is very controversial operation. It will effect people differently. I have a friend who had it a couple of months before me and she is suffereing from really bad Compensatory sweating :( She actually said she doesnt regret the op as her blushing has subsided but the sweating is really bad and she is now looking at any option out there there to try and get this under control.

Itis a hard decision and feel free to reach out to me again if you want any more info...