Sign in to follow this  
kino

ETS//...WHAT DO I DO???

Hi there, ..i am 20 years old and have for as long as i can remember suffered from excessive sweating of the hands in particular...i have been reading various internet blogs etc and appreciate that it is often the negative experiences of the surgery which are posted on the internet therreefooree im just trying to determine whether my condition is severe enough...in my opinion it is!.....irrelevant to the weather my hands are consistently clammy and often very wet whatever the social circumstance...i am concerned about the side effects of ETS but am serioulsy considering it...i have tried ionthorporis which didnt help and am doubtful that strong anti perspirants etc will help me... i must note that apart from my hands my sweating else where is not that severe...thats why i am a bit cautious to manipulate this with the operation....but i am more concerned for my hands to be dry for obvious social reasons....what u rekon?

thanks,

Hi Kino,

May I ask, does the sweat on your hands disable you?

-Does it drip for hours and hours everyday and make using a computer, driving, cooking, writing, reading, etc. very, very difficult or impossible/dangerous?

-Do you have to carry a sweat rag everywhere with you (e.g. a scarf around your neck, or sweater tied around your waist) so that you always have something to wipe your hands on?

-Do you rarely wear the same clothes two days in a row, because of having to wipe your dripping hands on your clothes all the time?

-Do shop assistants, bus drivers etc., often comment that the money you have passed them is wet?

-Are there certain activities you would never even consider trying because of your hand sweat? (E.g., Sports that involve gripping bats, for example.)

-If you held your sweaty hands above, say, a glass table top for 2 minutes without wiping them, would a very noticeable, sizable puddle form?

What I describe above is what I consider to be the most severe form of palmar HH. From what you wrote, it sounds like you perhaps have moderate, rather than severe, HH. Of course, how people perceive sweating is subjective, so if you sweat more than others, it probably does seem severe to you.

However, IMO, if your hand sweating is not stopping you from doing everyday activities, or not making it extremely difficult or dangerous for you to do numerous everyday activties, I would say quite firmly that it is not a severe case, and that ETS is therefore not something to pursue. The risks aren't worth it.

How long did you try Iontophoresis for? People who try it for several weeks, regularly, seem to report very good results. Also, how about trying medication?

Some people do get good results from ETS but, as you seem to be aware, some people are left devastated by the side effects. There is no way of knowing what the outcome of this surgery will be if you decide to have it. Bear in mind that if you decide to have ETS and you end up with side effects such as severe CS, inability to sweat on your upper chest, face and head, fatigue, chronically dry eyes, heart problems, etc., you will likely feel that you have traded your original problem for numerous, much worse problems.

Please also bear in mind that, at the age of 20, you likely care a lot more about what othrs think of you and this probably makes you much more self conscious about your hands. This will very likely change as you get older and more confident, especially if the sweating is not actually disabling you on a daily basis.

Hi there, ..i am 20 years old and have for as long as i can remember suffered from excessive sweating of the hands in particular...i have been reading various internet blogs etc and appreciate that it is often the negative experiences of the surgery which are posted on the internet therreefooree im just trying to determine whether my condition is severe enough...in my opinion it is!.....irrelevant to the weather my hands are consistently clammy and often very wet whatever the social circumstance...i am concerned about the side effects of ETS but am serioulsy considering it...i have tried ionthorporis which didnt help and am doubtful that strong anti perspirants etc will help me... i must note that apart from my hands my sweating else where is not that severe...thats why i am a bit cautious to manipulate this with the operation....but i am more concerned for my hands to be dry for obvious social reasons....what u rekon?

thanks,

Mate, my advice would be to NEVER EVER have ETS - I had it done 10/11 years ago, and it is the single most biggest mistake of my life. The side-effects just are not worth the (fairly) dry hands.

IJR you seemed to have a very botched up surgery reading quite a few posts you've written on here. Fairly dry hands, I'm sure they will be completely dry after surgery. I've had successful ETS with minor CS on my back and if your symptoms bother your every day life that much then find a good surgeon and speak to them about it 

How long is it since you had the surgery Befree?  I'm not just speaking from personal experience - if you browse the different forums and websites on the internet there are many, many people whose lives have been adversely affected by these proceedures.
Mine wasn't a 'botched' operation, because the operations did what you would expect.  I now know that when you destroy these vital nerves then horrendous side-effects will very likely follow.
I would not go near another ETS surgeon in my life, and if I could turn back time I never would have done so.