Sign in to follow this  
Lethal Injection

So, we've all felt it many times, end of the line

there's nothing more you can do, life is just miserable and there's no way it could get better. I, for example, have hyperhidrosis all over me, palms, feet, armpits, face, all my body. It starts from the morning till I go to sleep, and sleeping isn't even comfortable when you're all sweaty.

So, I've given up. It's time: time for me to consider ETS. Do you guys think it's a good idea. Should I go on with it? Life will continue to suck anyway, so why not go ahead and do it? This is just a topic to see where I should be going from here; further failure and probably eventual suicide, or ETS and fears of failure (which I really feel indifferent about, since I just wanna be cured). Much thanks for the answers

I know how you feel. This condition has ruined my life.

Where would you have ETS for though? Your hands or your face?

I would have it for my hands. If my hands stop sweating, I'm sure my feet will stop too. I don't care about my face or armpits. I went to a psychiatrist today as a desperate last measure. He tried to tell me NO DON'T DO IT IT'S TOO UNPREDICTABLE, so I'm a bit scared. He started reading and stuff, and was like, "I'm going to treat you," as if he made it his goal. He knows about anticholinergics and Ditropan but said it's not the right cure. He prescribed me Tryptizol and another med I forgot its name. I'm also on Deaxint and xanax for other issues. He said, "come back in two weeks; you won't have a single drop of sweat on you." I'm gonna keep my hopes up, because he knew I salivate a lot, etc. I also asked for Klonopin to make things happier. I'm very hopeful at the moment and excited. Hope things work out great. If they do, I'm gonna suggest it for my fellow hyperhidrosis-ridden friends.

Ah yes i've spoke to someone who takes Tryptizol (Amitriptyline) for her hyperhidrosis. I don't think they prescribe it over here now though, i'm not sure. I'm on an ssri which is the new type. Doesn't help with sweating though. My hands have also been the major problem all my life.

Ah yes i've spoke to someone who takes Tryptizol (Amitriptyline) for her hyperhidrosis. I don't think they prescribe it over here now though, i'm not sure. I'm on an ssri which is the new type. Doesn't help with sweating though. My hands have also been the major problem all my life.

Hey Pinker, hope you're doing fine. Did your friend benefit from Tryptizol? Thanks. I'm not benefitting much, but the doc said I should wait. However, I'm back to popping two-ditropan pills at a time to control my sweating. Things get very hazy, but hey I'm semi-sweat free. I'm really confused about the surgery. Should I do it should I do it should I do it....

Hey, she said it's really helped her hands since she took it a long time ago. Maybe 10 or 20 years, I can't remember. She posts on the ets and reversals forum though I probably shouldn't give her name. Anyway amitriptyline works for her.

Heh I tried ditropan once and it just gave me a dry mouth whilst my sweating stayed the same.

Guys, guys, guys, I'm not sure, but this is hopefully a godsend. I was getting skeptical about tryptizol since it was doing nothing, but all of a sudden it started working. Minimal palmar and plantar sweating. Face sweating is plentiful like normal people in summer time. Could it possibly be the ultimate cure for hh!??? I would suggest you all try out, and wait it out a bit, a minimum of 5 days before results start to show. Seriously. And if you take it with one ditropan pill, you're in dryness bliss (instead of taking 4 ditropan pills a day). Try it out! PLEASE DO IT

Besides a semi-dry mouth and some drowsiness, that's all there is to it. Can't you order it from abroad? Is it possible that the medicine stop being manufactured? This thing is a godsend, hope they don't put its production to a halt. You should try it out pinker!!! I'm considering buying some packets in advance in case it gets discontinued in the marker. I do believe it's an anti-depressant with anti-cholinergic properties. Peace and love brothers and sisters. Here it is again: TRYPTIZOL (AMITRIPTYLINE)--TRY IT. You have nothing to lose.

Maybe it's a temporary thing? Antidepressants are often known to make you more depressed before you feel better, maybe you need to give it a bit more time? I can point you to the person I was talking about who has taken it for a long time. Maybe she will be able to say a thing or two about it.

Hi Lethal,

Run through all of the treatments you have used so far again. I have generalized HH, and it is always on the cusp of being unbearable (makes me want to jump through the window). However, it is my understanding that ETS is a gamble even if you have only have palmar HH. The risk of more severe compensatory sweating increases if you have hyperhidrosis elsewhere as well. I haven't done much reading about ETS, I had one appointment with an 'expert' in hyperhidrosis at the University of Chicago, who happened to be a thoracic surgeon. I wasn't expecting a consultation for ETS surgery, but he basically went through the list of meds I had tried, and said that he primarily focused on ETS. I was not a candidate because of the severity of my HH over the rest of my body (I didn't want it done anyways). In any case, list the treatments you have tried, and maybe I can recommend some others.

hello there idripsweat

the dr referred me to a well-known surgeon here and my appointment is on the tenth of september where I'll discuss my hyperhidrosis and surgery and fill out forms for my hospital stay (not sure how long after the surgery takes place). I can't wait to get it done, because, believe me, I tried EVERYTHING. Botox, iontophoresis, oxybutunin (Ditropan), antipsychotics (rivotril, xanax), various meds that could supposedly help (tryptizol that works in a similar way to ditropan for e.g.), strong medicines like Benzaxol (not sure how to spell it), various cream and concoctions (like for example 60% aluminum, etc.) that are more powerful than anything out on the market. I did lots of alternative therapy like acupuncture, homeopathy, macrobiotic dieting, various diets like zone diet, etc.

It's just too hard to handle and nothing works or just works for a little while with plenty of side effects. This is my last hope. I want it for my hands and armpits (don't care bout face and feet). I heard compensatory sweating is easier to control than hh sweating, with dieting for example, so I'm pretty sure I'll be better off. I've been through a lot and tried pretty much everything. My only option left is the surgery. Even my dr. said so after realizing all the treatments I been through. The Dr. is a professional with plenty of surgeries under his name. I talked to 2 people who did it. They say they're happy that there hands stopped sweating even though they got CS on their stomach, which they say is much better than having hand sweating.

I took my decision and I'll keep you guys posted. Hopefully other hopeless people will get incentive to try it out (after running out of most other options). I wish I can do the surgery today. Till then I'm going to be holding with a concoction and 3 ditropan pills taken together (they cause loss of hair, but hey, I need something to hold off I'm so sick of sweating).

<3 and peace

Well, you sound similar to me. I have HH everywhere (hands, forehead, feet, legs and back), and I am always hot, no matter what the temperature, and my skin is always clammy and wet (I feel like a heroin addict). I have gone through a large amount of meds as well (ditropan, robinul, gabapentin, belladona alkaloids, clonidine, a couple of SSRI's, 40% solution of aluminum antiperspirant, topical robinul, iontophoresis). The meds helped early on when this problem first occured (about 6 years ago), but none have much of an affect on me now. The dosages now need need to be way too high to stop my sweating, but then my body gets way overheated, and I start to experience other side affects as well (fatigue, dry eyes/mouth, dizziness, etc.). I have had (almost) every test done: thyroid, pheochromocytoma, neurology work ups, all of the typical blood tests, etc. The only thing I haven't done is an MRI or CAT scan to see if there is an underlying issue (though, I highly doubt it). My last hold out is to see a doctor who specializes in peripheral nerves, but I am sure I will hear the same diagnosis....hyperhidrosis (or overactive sympathetic nervous system).

So, I too am at my wits end. I'd say this problem saps about 60-70% of my mental energy everyday (constantly being hot, and having clammy skin and wet pants). I can't imagine what life would be like without this condition. If I were to wake up in the morning and it magically disappeared, I would run down the street in my pajamas screaming for joy. Alas, I know it won't go away, so I just suffer through it I suppose. I do know that if I got ETS done, I would stop sweating on the hands, but my lower body would be doubly soaked which, to me, is worse then what I have now.

I'm more afraid now about compensatory sweating, after reading about the excessive cases. I feel I might end up being one of those cases, a mess, everything would be even more ruined than now. I don't know why I have been dealt this nightmare to deal with God, and I'm very scared and confused at the moment. If I do it and then I get the excessive CS, OMG I would be willing to give anything to get back to this. Control it with some Ditropan even if my hair falls and I get horrible stomach aches. I don't know what to do. :(

If you go through with it then good luck, i'm checking back here to see how you're doing.

What else can you say really, i've been through most of the things you mention too. When your hands are burning up and clammy, then sometimes ice cold and clammy it is almost unbearable. Even hoovering up on a hot day I sometimes have to stop and put my hands under the cold tap. I still rely on iontophoresis which does its part, but of course nothing is a complete cure for it.

I really wish these Drs would do more for it, or someone. In the past 10 years they could have come up with something decent. When I think about it i've been using iontophoresis since I was 16, so already i've been biding my time for 5 years. How long's it going to take?

Hi Lethal:

This is such a tough decision, and I wish you the very best of luck with whatever you decide. I just wanted to share my experience with you.

I had ETS 12 years ago and while it didn't solve all of my problems, I would do it all again if I had to because I had some pretty good results and minimal side effects. Yes, I have dealt with compensatory sweating, mostly just my back and stomach area, but over the years, it has slowly decreased to the point where I barely have it at all anymore, at least not much more than your "average" person. Prior to the surgery, I had major sweating on my hands, feet, and underarms. I would also sweat a lot on my face during hot weather. After the surgery, my hands were completely dry for a number of years. I sweat a lot less on my face and underarms as a result of the surgery as well, results that continue to this day.

Now, here are some of the drawbacks for me... First, the nerve has regrown since I had ETS, which means my hands were bone dry for the first 5-6 years after the surgery, but slowly started to sweat again. When I contacted the surgeon about this, he calmly explained that the nerve was growing back and that I could have the surgery again if I wanted. This kind of pissed me off. I was never told that this could happen. That being said, when my hands do sweat now, it is FAR less than they did before. It's not much worse than non hh sufferers. Also, my feet sweat WAY more since having ETS, but I've found some ways to deal with it and though I hate it, I can deal with it.

So overall, my results were pretty positive. At the time, I wasn't aware of all the potential side effects, as they were really downplayed by the doctor. For example, he told me that because I am "skinny" I would not experience compensatory sweating, which is totally false.

Like I said, if I could go back in time, I would do things exactly the same, but you are very wise to put a lot of thought into it before you do it. I keep hoping someone will come up with a real cure once and for all. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Angie