Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

Paxil has stopped my blushing 100%

Paxil has stopped my blushing 100%.

I've only been taking it for 2 weeks now, but so far I'm very happy. Yes, there are side effects with Paxil, but nothing compared to the hell that blushing has put me through (cancelled ETS surgery at the last minute last month). If you research Paxil on the web, you will find many dissatisfied customers... but you have to remember that there are probably hundreds of thousands of people taking Paxil, so yes, there will some that don't like it at all. And some that it simply doesn't work for.

Paxil works for me by controlling my Social Anxiety. For me, Social Anxiety is the underlying reason why I blush.

Just wanted to let you know this info... perhaps it can help you too.

Good luck!

Kewl. The CR formulation is a little more expensive but is also a little better in that it causes less side effects. The instant release (Paxil 20mg tab) sometimes caused a little too much sleepiness. You must have a good health insurance policy, huh? :lol:

For me, I started with 20mg and ended up staying with 60mg. You are supposed to step this drug up over time as your body counteracts the drug. I am 6ft at 200lbs and everyone is different. Not sure why I had weight gain with it though unless it also calms the metabolism rate.

In my case, I was started at Paxil 10mg and was soooo drowsy, that we switched my dosing to a "before bedtime". I never got higher than that. Honestly, I don't know if it stopped my blushing or shyness because I was too busy sleeping! :lol:

But I'm the other extreme (of viper) I am only 5 feet tall (yes, zero inches over 5 feet) and only weigh like 105 lbs. What can I say, I'm a cheap date! :wink:

Hi Joao,

If you are really concerned with the weight gain, then I would stay away from Xanax as well. Although, I haven't found any studies comparing Benzo's (Xanax, Librium, Ativan, Halcion..) and SSRIs (Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Prozac...) for their effects on weight gain, as a general rule it is known that Benzo's will slow down your metabolism quite a bit and hence the reason for your weight gain.

SSRIs are an interesting lot. When the first SSRI (Prozac) was released in the U.S., physicians were excited because for the first 3-6 months they saw significant weight loss in their patients. It became an accepted fact that SSRIs helped with weight loss. Then, more antidepressants came into the market and the Zoloft maker (Pfizer) decided that they were going to apply to the FDA to make Zoloft officially for weight loss. So, there was a big clinical trial and lots of patients were given Zoloft for 3+ yrs. Turns out that with SSRIs the weight-loss occurs up to a max of 6 months, followed by a compensatory weight GAIN. Most patients gained more weight in the long run than what they started with. Oops. Other SSRIs started looking that way too. Some physicians (esp. if they are not psychiatrics) generally don't know about these further studies. They just remember the weight loss hype from the beginning.

But, if you use Xanax sporadically, every now & then, your weight gain shouldn't be much of an issue...

Good Luck!

Well I've seen lots of people bragging about how Xanax helped them with facial blushing and anxiety up to 4 hours, so I was thinking it would be my best option :?

I'm trying to lose weight, not gain weight. It would really damage my self esteem more than it already is... So would you advise Paxil instead of Xanax? I've read more about Paxil helping with weight gain than Xanax. I have in fact, never read about cases of people gaining weight with Xanax, as the most significant secondary effects would be drouziness (spelling) and/or addiction.

I was planning on taking Xanax in regards to certain social gatherings (like the upcoming Christmas which makes me nervous just to think of it or other places where I'd be sure to blush). I think I'd be ok with it as long as there were no physical symptons. Well, I guess I'd be ok with sweating (mildly) as long as my face would keep its skin tone.

What do you recommend in my case?

Guest Anonymous

Hello,

I can only speak for Xanax as I have never tried Paxil, but if used on an as needed basis, it is very effective at calming any anxiety. When used like this, I doubt that you will experience any type of weight gain, although we are all different.

The problem with Xanax is that it is highly addictive so you need to be extremely careful that you don't overdo it. It also has a very short half life, meaning that you get a rapid rise and an equally rapid drop. I have heard that this can cause rebound flushing/blushing in some people.

If you would like to try something for special occasions, Dr Nase recommends Klonopin, which although from the same family of pharmaceuticals as Xanax, it has a much longer half life. Dr Nase cautions to use it for a maximum of 2 days in a row and at the very most, 8 days a month.

Hope that helps.

I don't think it matters what SSRI you take, they will have about the same effect. Your individual physiology may come into play, but for the most part they are the same. Paxil is known to cause more side effects, while celexa or zoloft has fewer. I had some sleepiness on Paxil and weight gain, although my weight gain was probably due to change in activity level and eating dorm food. In my case, and generally what I've seen on this board over the last 7-8 years is that it reduces blushing by 70%.

Paxil is still working for me. Although not 100%.

I find that it helps most when i take it (25mg CR) in the morning, and then skip breakfast. Then by lunch, the Social Anxiety starts creeping back.

This leads me to believe that I may benefit from an increased dosage. My psychiatrist said not to increase it (yet). It's only been 4 weeks since taking it, so I'll wait to see what happens in the next few weeks.

i too started taking paxil last week. 12.5 mg time release. This thursday will be the two week mark. Havent noticed any significant results but my doc said to give it at least 3-4 weeks.

rob

I'm sorry, Thomas. I had really hoped that it would work out for you. When I last tried an SSRI (Zoloft) it also helped for about 4-6 weeks. Then it tapered off...when you increase the dose it may work again for you but only for about 2 weeks or so...then it may taper off again. Then you get to the max dose and can't move up anymore.

Don't mean to be a downer... But, I've really been there, done that... :cry:

Paxil is still working 90% for me. So, it's still very good news. And I'd try another SSRI for a better fit if it fizzes out...and then another if I had to. This week, Paxil has reduced my Social Anxiety more than the previous 3. The medication along with CBT has helped me a lot. Also, telling my bosses last week that Anxiety is one of my "Development areas" makes me more at ease now too. I told them that they will likely see me turn red and sweat bombs ... and they have. And that there is a surgery, but I decided against it. They were supportive. I asked myself what was the worst thing that could happen if I told my bosses... And I said to myself that legally it's not possible to fire someone simply for turning red or sweating... as long as they complete my work/ presentation.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying 100% anxiety/blush free mornings with Paxil-- it feels so good to ask tough questions or fumble your words and no blush. Not sure why, but after lunch I feel a bit anxious. I've still been able to not blush, so I'm on a roll! My doc told me I can supplement the Paxil with Xanax, which I do in the afternoon. I try to use X sparringly, because it works best for me when not used often.

I'm still calling mine a success story. They're hard to find on this forum!!

Paxil is still working 90% for me. So, it's still very good news. And I'd try another SSRI for a better fit if it fizzes out...and then another if I had to. This week, Paxil has reduced my Social Anxiety more than the previous 3. The medication along with CBT has helped me a lot. Also, telling my bosses last week that Anxiety is one of my "Development areas" makes me more at ease now too. I told them that they will likely see me turn red and sweat bombs ... and they have. And that there is a surgery, but I decided against it. They were supportive. I asked myself what was the worst thing that could happen if I told my bosses... And I said to myself that legally it's not possible to fire someone simply for turning red or sweating... as long as they complete my work/ presentation.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying 100% anxiety/blush free mornings with Paxil-- it feels so good to ask tough questions or fumble your words and no blush. Not sure why, but after lunch I feel a bit anxious. I've still been able to not blush, so I'm on a roll! My doc told me I can supplement the Paxil with Xanax, which I do in the afternoon. I try to use X sparringly, because it works best for me when not used often.

I'm still calling mine a success story. They're hard to find on this forum!!

Thomas I still haven't tried any meds but will be keeping Paxil and Xanax on my list of maybe's. I'm keeping everything crossed for you that they continue to work. I know that relief you get when you feel calm. A single pint of beer does the same for me but sure I can't be drinking at work everyday. Thanks so much for keeping us all informed with your progress and again fingers crossed.

Hi Thomas,

I'm happy to hear that the Paxil is working for you. I find that it helps my social anxiety too, but the side effects are annoying. Did you try the regular release before you switched to the CR and did you noticed less side effects with the CR form? Maybe I will have to ask my doctor about the CR formulation.

I'm wondering if someone who is taken paxil (or a simliar SSRI) can describe what it "feels" like when taking it? I'm seriously considering getting a prescription for one as I've seem to have exhausted other options. :(

I would consider it like a high that you never come down from. The first couple days can be hell. I had head aches and dizziness. Start very low in dose. I popped it right up there and it hurts. Much like an alcohol hang over (I know that one). Once you are on, I would say dry mouth, a weird sensation in my jaw, and yawning were the major side effects.

After you have been with it a while, it will make you more confident in social situations because you just feel detached from yourself. I did not like the feeling and it made it hard for me to apply myself. Hope that helps.

B

Paxil definetly should be started out at a low dose and work your way up (which your doctor should tell you) The drug takes awhile to take affect (2-6 weeks) and you may feel exceptionally good at first. Part of this is probably because your body hasn't had time to adjust, another reason is that this may be the first time where you see yourself actually improving. (I remember my first time with surprise when I could actually turn around and make small talk with the girl sitting behind me) Eventually however the feeling tapers off as you get used to your "new normal"

My personal finding is that paxil has more side effects than the rest, something like celexa or zoloft has the same effect and fewer side effects. Some people have a hard time coming off paxil because it leaves the body so quickly and causes dizziness. The other medications typically leave the body much slower, thereby reducing the side effects.