Sign in to follow this  
Princess Sarah

Food from Animals

I never used to think twice about eating meat, but since I watched a documentary in PSE at school, I rarely eat meat and feel sick about the thought of it.

What a lot of meat eaters may not realise is how they are killed and who does it. The sick people who get paid to do some horrendous work become so bored that they just throw animals around - literally.

Some animals are bred to just grow old in a factory - they would be lucky if they actually grow old. Chickens are cramped in such small rooms spreading diseases of all kinds - they cannot even breath and before they know it - they are made into a chicken pie.

I am contemplating cutting out meat altogether. I understand a vegan eats no meat nor dairy products but why do they choose not to eat anything dairy? Is that because cows/goats are considered dirty? Or is that because cows are kept in factories to be milked 5 times daily?

I just decided to bring up this discussion, as I feel I need a greater understanding with others' views and opinions. Are you a meat eater, vegetarian or vegan? I would like to read your replies.

Actually Sarah, Im with you on this one. I think that the way mass produced meat is reared and slaughted is disgusting.

As you mentioned, chickens get particular bad treatment. Did you know that most supermarket chickens are bread so that they are incapable of standing, let alone walking? There bone to muscle ratio is way out of balance, so their legs buckle and they become crippled. Worst is though, their pens are full of ammonia from the droppings, causing the animals to develop terrible burns.

To be honest though, this is nothing I wouldnt expect from supermarkets. They are the scum of the earth. The entire food industry is a joke (a joke that we the public feel the brunt of). They are responsible for so many human health problems, it isnt even funny. When I am in a position to, I will buy only free range foods, preferably from farmers markets.

I doubt I will ever stop eating meat though (as much as big Tone Blair wants us to). Meat is an important part of the human diet, and should not be ignored. Instead, I will be a hell of a lot more choosy about the meat I consume and where it comes from.

Tell you something that offends me though Sarah - how people try to deny the animals exsistence. Think about all the processed and shaped meat products on the market now, all because people cant face the site of real meat. This is shocking imo. I believe that if you eat meat, you should have respect enough to acknowledge the animal it came from. I also believe that any meat eater should be prepared to kill and butcher the animals they eat - kind of like paying respect for the animals life. But most people wouldnt do that, they wouldnt want to be faced with the reality of there BigMac or Zinger Tower.

Very sad imo. And very out of balance with nature.

Bob, nature is much over-rated. It gaves us spiders for God's sake.. and man!

This 'meat eaters should be willing to slaughter the beasts they devour' argument strikes me as somewhat odd.

Division of labour, Bob.

I have neither the skills nor the inclination to build a car, yet I drive one.

I don't have the stomach for bombing foreign populations into submission. Others do.

I could not slaughter a beast of the field. Others do it for me.

Hurrah for slaughtermen! Scum of the earth sociopaths though they may be.

Your mentioning of breeding chickens so that they are crippled is absolutely sick. It is very sad that because we are the dominating species other species have no right therefore we can do the hell we want with/to them. Just because they have no real voice box in order to pronounce words. Does their squealing as they throw them to the ground for amusement not count? People test to say that animals have no feelings - complete and utter rubbish. How do they differ from us or to a dog? When you accidentally stand on the paw of a dog, do they not whimper? My dog does and I don't half get a telling off from her hehe.

I know meat is an essential part of our diet as it is protein based - fair enough, but there are infact a lot of food products containing no meat but yet have the same amount of protein. In ratio to our fat and carbohydrate intake, we eat little protein anyhow - unless you have fry-ups every breakfast. Soy products are a great alternative to meat - I am a huge fan of Quorn burgers I prefer them to the real thing. Per skinny burgers of theirs there is 10g of protein and only 74kcals and 2g of fat... good, no? Not only does it cut out meat, but it infact cuts of calories and fat. Perfect for overweight people such as myself.

To be honest, I thought the process of killing animals for meat was a simple bullet to the head - the way they kill deers when deer hunting. How wrong was I?

The horrible thought of being brought onto this Earth having just ONE chance to live it and they have no say in what they do but instead they are tortured. I believe that if there is a God, why does he allow such immoral torture to his creations? I personally find it hard to kill a fly nevermind kill an animal - how sick and how immoral.

You are quite right in many respects. I cant build a car either, but that is quite a different line of reasoning.

I believe people should be prepared to kill their meat because it forces them to acknowledge and therefore appreciate what is actually happening. I dont care if someone else makes my car, but I do care when I hear young kids that wont eat a chicken leg 'because its disgusting', yet they will happily tuck into a happy meal.

This is how we end up eating real filth and not even caring. Did you know that a pork sausage only has to have minimum 20% meat? And something labeled a 'sausage', has no minimum. The rest is all skin, fat and meal... quite repulsive. Yet kids will wallop this stuff down.

This really drives it home. My sister said to me the other day that she wouldnt eat our sausage 'because it had meaty chunks in it'. She will only eat the <20% crap, because it appears nothing like actually meat.

And yes, my sister has always had diet related health problems.

So GJ, as much as I agree that nature can be a ****, it is the only truth in life. Im not religious at all, but I see god when ever I witness the natural world. This stuff is real, and we are part of it. The further we seperate ourselves from the real world, the closer we come to facing our destruction.

Wow, Sarah you may regret starting me off on this one!

BB

Wow, Sarah you may regret starting me off on this one!

BB

Oh trust me, I am regretting it already. :roll: This topic is one topic I am passionate about your views are well brought across. You are very correct about how kids will reject pure chicken but happy meals.... !!! GULP, GULP, GULP. Let's just face it.... this world is all about PROFIT. As long as they are happy who gives a damn about the rest of us eh?

Precisely Sarah. The priorites of the world seem to be way too one sided, that is modern life. The older I get them more I think I should go be a Budhist monk or something! Modern life sickens me more by the day.

I mean, lets face it - modern life is why we are all on this forum. Or should I say, our inability to deal with modern life caused by minor abnormalities in a particular bodily function.

Bob, my opinions are divided thus:

i) those which I passionately believe in

ii) those which I hold simply in order to sleep at night; this type is normally specious and built upon a foundation of sand and self-serving.

Here is a type ii argument:

You discount the car proposition, largely because it does not involve moral difficulties.

So the question remains, are you willing to kill other humans?

Servicemen are, and have done so, and are doing so, on your behalf.

An unpleasant business. A large chunk of civilisation is founded upon a willingness to do things in others, that is absent in oneself.

We might reflect too that industrialised agriculture is far from being the real world of nature. It is a construct of man. It feeds him. It admits him to keep his hands clean - to sleep at night.

That young children act as you say is a product of ignorance (and the squeamishness of modern urban living) but not moral myopia or infirmity.

That same ignorance can be readily cured - as evidenced by Sarah's account - without the need of making butchers of us all.

As far as animal husbandry and general food production is concerned there is apparently a large number of blind eyes being turned!

Many turn a blind eye. Some take in the horror and turn their fully functioning eye away.

As a taxpayer, as a consumer and a producer in a capitalist society my personal moral code is infringed in an infinite number of ways by other agents in a system in which I am but a tiny, insignificant part.

As Bob observes, modern life is truly grim.

Best to look for a silver lining. My consumption of industrially produced meat products renders the product cheaper (economies of scale etc).

This means that those in the poorer classes can afford to eat meat and a have few pennies spare to puchase a degree of happiness and fulfillment from the shelves of Woolies and Dixons.

I like eating beef, lamb, chicken, pork etc (anything apart from seafood). I have lived with passionate vegetarians, there is no compromise. As a meat eater you are the devil, cook 2 different meals every day, one contains chick peas the other contains chicken. Enjoy your meat stew while you can, before long, the story of the ‘journey of the lamb chop’ will grind you down and you will be forced to sneak off to prohibition mutton delis.

In fact, as a meat eater, I rarely enjoy my fav roasts because of the right wing crazies who tell me that meat is murder. I eat chicken (because lambs are fluffy and cute) (because beef will make my brain turn to jelly).

I went veggie for a spell to see if I could do it, I became terribly thin and gaunt and was called ‘otter boy’ by the pink mafia.

Go vegetarian, it is your decision, avoid the smell of a bacon buttie for the rest of your life AND (no 1 tip) NEVER taste duck in plum sauce before switching sides.

The BK veggy burger is poor sustenance. Vegans eat nut roast, get used to it, tis not a joke, go anywhere for a meal, tell them you are a vegan, nut roast it is then, or, I might go for the nut roast without nuts.

Green side journey path take you do not want.

(PS - call me back when your 30 see how things panned out).

I see what you are saying, but aren't you blatently forgetting everything behind how your bacon butty got to your plate? You are just putting personal preference and satisfaction first... I am not sure how you could of become so gaunt just by cutting out meat, unless you typically lived off meat morning to night. There are many other foods which are not meat based that can keep your weight up - bread makes me put on weight (and that's without the meat sandwiched between it). It's how much of something that makes you fat (within reason) or thin in your case. Maybe your state of mind at the time was to lose weight, aswell as cut out meat, but for sure cutting out meat alone will not make you become a walking skeleton.

If I can go on with a guilt-free conscience knowing that I will no longer be apart of the harming of animals, I can stay off fry-ups and chicken dolloped in gravy easily. My protein intake, if anything, may even increase. The meat alternatives that my family have been buying each shopping session is great and I must intake more protein daily than ever before. Sorted.

...I am contemplating cutting out meat altogether...

It couldn't have affected you that much if you're merely contemplating cutting out meat.

I love meat and will never stop eating it. It helps to keep me alive. Show me a healthy Vegan and I'll show you a liar.

people who jump on bandwagons should be more aware of everything they consume. From the food they eat to the Nike trainers on their feet. This goes out to all those who have the annoying habit of cherry-picking their moral message in which to preach to the rest of us.

My glibness stems from not being the one who's bleating on (for want of a better phrase) about the subject and assuming they're better than others.

The questions you've posed above are pointless. I may as well ask the fashion victims of the world who seem unable to live without their designer gear whether they'd be willing to work 14 hour days in appalling conditions for a few pence a day? Or even better - in keeping with the theme of animals - how many fashion victims would be able to bring themselves to kill a cow for its hide, in order to make themselves a nice pair of designer shoes? Yeah I'm sure you wrestle with these moral questions everyday. Don't be daft.

Bob, my opinions are divided thus:

i) those which I passionately believe in

ii) those which I hold simply in order to sleep at night; this type is normally specious and built upon a foundation of sand and self-serving.

Here is a type ii argument:

You discount the car proposition, largely because it does not involve moral difficulties.

So the question remains, are you willing to kill other humans?

Servicemen are, and have done so, and are doing so, on your behalf.

An unpleasant business. A large chunk of civilisation is founded upon a willingness to do things in others, that is absent in oneself.

We might reflect too that industrialised agriculture is far from being the real world of nature. It is a construct of man. It feeds him. It admits him to keep his hands clean - to sleep at night.

That young children act as you say is a product of ignorance (and the squeamishness of modern urban living) but not moral myopia or infirmity.

That same ignorance can be readily cured - as evidenced by Sarah's account - without the need of making butchers of us all.

Would I kill men in service? If I were called up, I dont think there would be much option. But I understand the question, and it is a relevant one. Problem is, I dont have to believe in a cause for my government to fight it, do I? Men are fighting in Iraq, yet I have not given my blessing.

So no, I wouldnt be prepared to kill in those circumstances. Maybe if I believed in the cause, it would be another matter. But thats another story...

Yes, you other points are all completely fair and reasonable. Like you say, modern life is built on these concepts. But doest mean I have to like it!

BB

Put it this way. Nothing's going to change.

I think there are more important things to focus on right now. But if it was possible i'd like everyone or most people to be at least vegetarian.

Think about the bird flu. They need to cull all the birds so that it doesn't infect and kill people.

Do you think they should stop killing the birds for that reason? :?

What is a good enough reason to kill an animal? What is humane?

If people think going vegetarian will make them lose weight they are probably wrong. There are easier ways since vegetarian actually means carbotarian or ready mealatarian these days. Which are also full of sh**.

I'm not sure what I think about this right now but good for you if you're going to do it.

Yeah, I surpose foot and mouth was a good reason to kill animals too?

What a complete farce!

One day we're told that beef gives us heart attacks, then it gives us CJD, and we still eat it. Opps, now they all have foot and mouth and must be slaughtered anyway (conveniently destroying the bulk of the industry and many peoples lives in the process).

Lets face it, the economists have decided that we arent eating beef this millenium, so its bye bye cows, bye bye beef farmers!

I tend to look at it like this - if they can murder poor old Princess Di, while she is completely in the public eye... then they can do whatever they want. Who are we, the ignorant masses, to argue?

Eating meat is very important, but this case is very different. This is macro economics. Its 'butter mountain' and 'corn hill'. It shows complete disregard for the animals, but even worse, it shows COMPLETE disregard for humans. They feed us what the money men say, NOT what is necessary to sustain us.

Just look at the sugar industry! They sly sugar into all of our food, and we all turn into obese diabetics... never saw that coming... :roll:

But thats another, another story :wink:

BB

Mooch,

At times you are all too glib.

What questions do you ask yourself? Is your conscious entirely without reproach?

I know that on a near daily basis I wrestle with mine and I like to think as a result I am becoming a better person for it. I am far from perfect but every time I take a moral stance I like to think I have made the world a slightly better place no matter how small the change may be.

Ask yourself this: Could you truly tuck into a nice, juicy steak if you had to dispatch the animal yourself?

Could you dispassionately look the beast in the eye as you placed the humane killer on its head between its beseeching eyes?

Could you then cut its throat and watch its legs cycle and twitch as you waited for its blood to drain?

Could you then open up its belly and pull out is entrails and while doing so experience the hot stickiness of the blood and the stench of the guts as you are buried up to your elbows in its insides?

Could you inspect the carcass for abnormalities and cancerous growths without feeling ever so slightly queasy and then butcher it into cuts and joints?

And after all this, could you cheerfully sit down with an untroubled conscience and eagerly tuck into that juicy steak that you have been so looking forward to?

If you can then you are made of sterner stuff than me and you should go ahead and enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Bon appetit!

I could absolutely do that (admitedly the question was not directed at me).

If you eat meat, you are responsible for the death of the animal. If killing an animal troubles your conscience, then so should eating it.

BB

modern life is built on these concepts. But doest mean I have to like it!

BB

True.

Not entirely fond of myself for taking the easy option on these things; for floating atop the regular current.

A cruel dominion over other species; the poisoning of the planet; the dreadful poverty of the better part of the globe. And on, and on.

Always the easy option. Never take a stand. Construct artful arguments that ostensibly absolve one.

A hearty well done to anybody who does anything. EVER.

Too damn lazy. Too damn cheap.

The ideal way to raise animals for the table is to do so locally. Where a mobile slaughterhouse can arrange to dispatch the animals in situ. The best way to kill an animal with as little distress as possible it at the feeding trough. When it’s time for the pig, the lamb or the cow to be slaughtered, their daily routine shouldn’t be altered. At feeding time, as their heads go down into the trough, a bullet in the back of the head will drop them with out any trepidation or pain. They can then be hauled off to a shed to be bled and butchered up.

A commendable means of slaughter.

Should any merciful gunowner be about my place in the next few months, I customarily eat during Neighbours/the latter part of R&J.

Let yourselves in!