Sign in to follow this  
keepingfaith

IPL gone bad??

I had my first IPL last Friday, one week ago, and I have been flushing like crazy ever since! I am flushing more and it is more painful! Anybody have any ideas????? Is this something that will pass or is this permanent???? Topicals are out of the question, now i can only was my face with spring water! Help!!!!

Howdy,

I have had 2 IPL sessions from a certified Dr. Bitter trainee doctor. After the first one, my flushing was actually a bit worse for a while, then i notices about a 5% decrease in intensity/duration. After 2 the same thing happened, except now i notice a bigger decrease. I also take paxil as of 2 weeks ago. it helps stop hot flashes/flushes, even for men by about 50% on average. hope this gives you faith. keep with the IPL...really good thing.

chris

That's common post IPL. Your blood vessels and skin have sustained damage. Damaged blood vessels dialate much easier. This is a sign that the vessels were not fully cauterized by the heat. The reason your supposed to avoid flushing post IPL is to give the vessels time to heal in a constricted state. Vacular lasers tend to fully cauterize vessels which makes them far less likely to cause flushing problems post treatment.

IT happened to me, I did it here in brazil like 4 years ago and I used to flush worse some days after each treatment, and it's normal and I think it's a good sign. I had 4 sessions and got 99% success , but the final results are only noticeable some months after the last session.

EDITED: OMG THIS THREAD IS FROM 2005 LOL, BUT STILL USEFUL FOR MANY PPL

I had my first IPL last Friday, one week ago, and I have been flushing like crazy ever since! I am flushing more and it is more painful! Anybody have any ideas????? Is this something that will pass or is this permanent???? Topicals are out of the question, now i can only was my face with spring water! Help!!!!

IPL seems to be more risky than we once thought. I remember being told that NOTHING could go wrong with IPL. This doesn't appear to be the case.

However, I'd like to think that the laser just irritated your skin. It's expected that post IPL you'll be very sensitive. Give it a couple of weeks before you get too concerned.

Also, you HAVE to get one of those gel masks! They are so awesome. They're like a gel mask that you keep in the fridge. It cools you down and infuses your skin with various nutrients. I can't tell you how much they helped me during my IPL treatments (someone which were pretty harsh).

BB