IJR

Compensatory sweating

I swear this is getting unbearable. Today I had a huge sweat patch right down my back whilst working, despite having a t-shirt on underneath too! :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Just don't think I can take this much longer. :cry: WTF has the surgeon done?! :(

ETS and lumbar sympathectomy should not be carried out - they are f*****g barbaric procedures. The constant occurance is patients (myself included) being misinformed about them, and not given much info about non-surgical alternatives.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but this is getting unmanagable (people considering ETS and/or lumbar sympathectomy please take this as a warning from experience). If I could pay a surgeon ten grand to get me back to how I was 8 1/2 years ago I'd do it. Dripping hands/feet is nothing compared to this. :cry: :cry: :cry: Sorry.

IJR

Thanks sharin , sorry to read your sufferin hope with time it will go away.

Did you have surgery for sweatin hands?Did you have blushing as well?

How long after the surgery did you develope side effects?

Thanks sharin , sorry to read your sufferin hope with time it will go away.

Did you have surgery for sweatin hands?Did you have blushing as well?

How long after the surgery did you develope side effects?

Hi Niki, thanks for the reply. Yeah I had ETS (Endoscopic Thoracic Sympathectomy) for hand sweating in 1999 (+ re-done in 2000 cos wasn't very successful first time). I then had lumbar sympathectomy for excessive foot sweating in 2001.

From what I can remember, between 2000 and 2001 side-effects from the ETS ops started, with me developing sweating on my legs, and underarms. Then, about 10 months after the lumbar sympathectomy, I started sweating really bad through my back, and this has since also spread to my stomach, sides and chest.

So, my belief is that if I'd been content with just having ETS, I would only have had compensatory sweating now on my legs and underarms, but having the lumbar sympathectomy on top was way too much for my body to handle (I've never come across anyone who's had both ops, usually just one or the other).

Going to see a dermatologist in a couple of weeks. Like I said, as bad as things were I would do anything to get back to just having severe palm and foot sweating, especially as there are now treatments such as iontophoresis, botox and medications (none of which I was informed of by my GP or the surgeon). I'm praying that there's a surgeon out there who would be prepared to take a chance and attempt a lumbar sympathectomy reversal, to try and get my feet sweating again, which would hopefully take some of the cs away from my back etc. Million-to-one chance, but never know.

Again, apologies for going on, but please, please - to anyone out there considering ETS or lumbar sympathectomy, my advice would be that it just isn't worth the risk. The stats given by surgeons are complete crap (e.g. a "one in ten chance of compensatory sweating"). Just about everyone I've come across that has had one of these immoral ops has spoke of developing cs.

There are so many alternatives out there now, just don't make the same life-ruining mistakes I made. :cry:

IJR

It's sad to read your posts.. actually many people have this kind of condition after this kind of surgery but like you they also experience bad side effects of this..

For now I hope that you finally find the solution of your problem..because i know how it bothers you because I also have this kind of problem.. but never undergone this kind of surgery..

hope that you are getting well soon..

Thank you for the post omiegat, has cheered me up on an otherwise lousy day.

Still struggling like crazy with CS and all the other post-ETS side-effects. Just read my long post from 2007 and my feelings remain exactly the same - palm and foot hyperhidrosis is nothing compared to all-over CS, and that's not to dismiss anyone going through the torment of palm or foot HH (because believe me - I've gone through all the embarrassment that comes with those conditions e.g. having to shake hands when you're desperate not to because they're sweating so bad and you know how disgusted the other person is going to be), but my quality of life was 1000x better before I had ETS and lumbar sympathectomy.

When I think of the things I could do pre-surgery (e.g. long bike rides in summer) compared to the shell that I am now it fills me with so much sadness and regret.

To anyone still considering surgery my advice remains the same - just don't do it.

Thanks again omiegat.

IJR

Just an update re ETS / lumbar sympathectomy surgery.

Despite my GP reasurring me in 2003 (4 years after the first op) that things would get better with time, as it stands my overall situation is worse than it's ever been. :cry: The CS is more profuse than ever, and has spread to areas like my stomach and chest in recent times (whilst still also present on back, legs, sides etc).

With all the other side-effects I desparately wish I could turn the clock back 14 years before any of the surgery, biggest mistakes I've ever made by a mile. :cry:

The only positives lately are that I have been supported by the best GP I've ever met (having switched medical centres), and I've got my first ever appointment with a neurologist next month, so who knows eh.

My advice however to anyone considering surgery is please, please don't do it. My quality of life was 100x better 14 years ago compared to now, don't make the same mistakes I did.

Sorry to hear that IJR. :(

I live in the uk too. Where abouts are you from? I wish there was a better way to keep in contact with fellow sufferers.

Thanks mate, appreciate it. I live in East Yorkshire. Yeah definitely, there was a group called the Radisson Group years ago for sufferers who had occassional meetings I believe, but usually in the South so was too far for me to get to personally. :(

Hi IJR, how have you been?

I live in the North West (Manchester), if there's anything going on up here I'd be interested in coming along.

Hi Pinker.  Really sorry I'm only just replying (first time been on here in ages).  I'm as good as can be really.  :(  Just got back from my first appointment with my surgeon since 2003.  Went into it praying for a miracle (that he would agree to try something exploratory to repair the severed nerves) but not surprisingly he reminded me that the damage is irreversable.  :(   I regret the ops so much it's untrue, and I only wish I could turn back the clock fifteen years and start again.

I'll continue doing what I do to try and help the nerves heal (exercise, a daily body brush, taking spirulina, chlorella, omega oil, and oats) but deep down I know the damage really is permanant.  Am also however due to have some type of psychological therapy soon (probably CBT).  Doubtful it'll help much but nothing to lose eh.

Anyway enough about me (and sorry for going on! lol), how are you mate?  Just out of interest is it ETS that you've had too?

Oh cool, I'm a fellow Northerner! (well, East Yorkshire!).  :) 

IJR

Hi, I'm from the North too. It sounds like you weren't aware of the risks of having the surgery rather than being disappointed with the results. I was told about the risks and side effects and made my decision knowing that I could be left with these things for the rest of my life. I can say that my surgery was successful and I'd recommend it to anyone whos suffering who also understands the sid effects. If they are willing to have those side effects and are fully aware of them then go for it. 

Its a shame you weren't told everything before making your decision. I went in thinking I'm going to come out with CS, a droopy eye, numbness, zombie feeling etc so once I'd had the surgery and the only thing I've got is 2 patches of CS on my back in hot heat and the original problem (blushing) cured, I couldn't be happier.

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you but not every case is like this, a good surgeon is what is needed x

Hi Befree.  Sorry but I have to disagree - the surgery is not right under any circumstances in my opinion.  Those nerves are there for a reason, they serve so many bodily functions.  You are correct I was very, very much kept 'in the dark' about the true extent of the side-effects, as well as not been given information about the non-surgical options available (such as iontophoresis).
Having endured the side-effects for nearly fourteen years, I can safely say that my quality of life was at least 10x better pre-surgery.  One mistake that people make is thinking that if the side-effects don't show after say the first year then everything is fine, but there can sometimes be a 'honeymoon' period of a few years before the side-effects start (this was certainly the case for me).
Anyway, I'm glad the surgery has worked for you, but personally I am just very much against them now.  So many lives have been ruined by the operations, and like I said considering that those nerves serve so many functions, the operations are simply immoral in my view.

Good morning,

I've had so many very depressed people contact me regarding their compensatory sweating, some near suicide.  It's very heartbreaking and I am very concerned about those folks .
I designed these sweat bands years ago for my compensatory sweating and they have helped me get through the warmer months here in Maryland and/or my high anxiety situations.