Sign in to follow this  
brhernan

don´t be ashamed to confess you have HH

Hi, I just wanted to post this again (I had posted as a reply but I´m not sure everyone could read it)

(posted february 17th)

"My recommendation is first of all, don´t make the mistake of just because you started reading this forum, to suddenly realise that HH dominates your life and you can´t do anything until you cure it (which is the mistake I made).

What I really recommend you is to tell to your girlfriend and your close friends about it. It´s true it is quite intimidating and you probably are afraid that whenever you two fight (either GF or friends) that they´ll reveal your "secret" to everyone, but just explain them how much it worries you and compare it in intensity to a problem of theirs that they wouldn´t want you to tell anybody.

If you do this it has several advantages: first, you´ll probably notice that they are cool with it (this has been the case with my friends). Second, you´ll feel like you have got something off your chest, third, you´ll stop avoiding them because of your fear of them finding out and fourth, you´ll even sweat less in their presence because you won´t be so nervous about it!

Currently, I´m trying with hypnosis and homeopathy, and something you could try if you have the possibility is EFT (search it on Google to see what it is and see if you can find a practitioner)

Best of luck"

By the way, remember it´s not your fault. It´s not like drug addicts who take drugs (or at least started to) because they chose to, it´s something you have no "conscious" control over, so don´t be so ashamed. Accept yourself as you are, you have THIS problem, other people have pimples, or rosacea, or infections, or any other emotional problem they are embarrased about which you have no idea about, just like they don´t know about your HH. So, remember "only a confident person has the guts to talk openly about his weaknesses".

What I mean is, if you have to give someone a handshake and your hands are sweating, don´t give them the handshake, instead say "hey, sorry, but my hands are really sweaty right now, so I´d rather we didn´t shake hands" "no, it´s not that I´m nervous, it´s just the way my body works". The other person will first think "how come he is sweating so much?" but then he´ll probably think "wow, it takes a lot of confidence to talk about it so openly, I wish I could talk about the things I´m embarrassed about that easily". I´ve done this myself, and other people who don´t have HH who I consider to be very confident have told me this a couple of times when their hands were sweaty and I really admired them for it, and I thought "what the hell? This was allowed?" . So it makes a lot of sense to me.

Of course this may make a lot of sense to you intellectually, but not emotionally (meaning there is a lot emotional charge regarding letting other people know about your condition and what they´ll think of you) so what I recommend for this once again is Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT, which you can search in Google to see what I´m talking about) to eliminate the negative emotional charge you have regarding the sweating). Learning it is free, so you can give it a try, or search for an EFT practitioner (like a therapist, who applies this technique).

Well, here ends my long post, please if you have anything to say about it, comment on it and I´ll try to answer

Are u going through this therpy?

Do you mean EFT? Actually EFT is a self-help technique, although for difficult or complex issues (like HH) it is recommended to work with an EFT practitioner. However, since I can´t afford one/there is no one in my area (phone sessions are available but I´m not too comfortable with that idea) I´m doing it by myself, working on the symptom itself, its causes (the anxiety for example) and the acceptance of the symptom (so I can live happier until I manage to reduce the sweating). I am also trying with homeopathy and Bach flowers, however I haven´t been able to succeed in reducing the sweating yet (maybe I sweat in less situations than before, but at school for example I sweat as much as always). However, EFT has been useful in reducing the negative emotional charge that sweating a lot over nothing had for me (while tapping on the meridian points of the body you say something like "even though I have this sweating problem, I deeply and completely love and accept myself")

Best of luck

My doctor the last time I went she reccommended consueling b/c she didn't think that pple seemed to notice that I had a problem. How is consueling going to help me. I'm gonig to ask her to see if she can give me one of the HH test and if it turns out positve for excessive sweating then maybe refer me to a dermatoglist or thoracic surgeon who my mom know does HH. By the way my mom works at Baptist Hospital. :D

Does anyone think this will work? because my mom says she does not want to take me to a dermatologist.

I just tell people now that I have hyperhidrosis and then explain what it is. I've found out that a good amount of people know what it is already. I do that in between self-administered treatments of iontophoresis when I am meeting new people and my hands get sweaty. People don't care if you bring it up first. I usually start with, "I must warn you first, I have hyperhidrosis."

There's something about confidence that people like, even if you think you are "ugly" in some way or another. It's all psychology. You can persuade and guide people easier than you think - especially when they haven't met you before. Sort of like, 90% of people won't notice a mistake unless you make it obvious by apologizing and correcting it in front of everyone. Plus, nowadays, people are afraid to offend people for all sorts of reasons. A disability is something that you are unable to control. HH is a disability and should be accepted and welcomed as such. I base it off of: If they don't like who I am, f*** em. I am what I am, and I can clean things easier... just kidding about that last part... but a positive attitude helps.

I just tell people now that I have hyperhidrosis and then explain what it is. I've found out that a good amount of people know what it is already. I do that in between self-administered treatments of iontophoresis when I am meeting new people and my hands get sweaty. People don't care if you bring it up first. I usually start with, "I must warn you first, I have hyperhidrosis."

There's something about confidence that people like, even if you think you are "ugly" in some way or another. It's all psychology. You can persuade and guide people easier than you think - especially when they haven't met you before. Sort of like, 90% of people won't notice a mistake unless you make it obvious by apologizing and correcting it in front of everyone. Plus, nowadays, people are afraid to offend people for all sorts of reasons. A disability is something that you are unable to control. HH is a disability and should be accepted and welcomed as such. I base it off of: If they don't like who I am, f*** em. I am what I am, and I can clean things easier... just kidding about that last part... but a positive attitude helps.

I completely agree with that. It´s what I had been trying to transmit in my previous post. I must say, however, that I am not that brave/confident yet as to tell everyone I meet about my HH as you do, but I have nonetheless told my friends and family and psychologist of course (since my HH is the reason I started therapy).

I also agree with "If they don't like who I am, f*** em. I am what I am". It´s completely true.

Thanks for your answer, I´m glad to see someone with common sense in this forum

brhernan, that's a great strategy. I guess it's just a matter of working up the courage to tell people. Anyway, you mentioned seeing a psychologist -- has that been helping you at all?

Hi, I have seen some improvement: maybe not about the amount of sweating, but about my letting it control my life and being afraid of it. I don´t know if this is because of the therapy itself or because I told my friends and some other people and they all showed me that it´s no big deal (that helped A LOT). With the psychologist, at least in my experience, the thing is like this: he is in the opinion that the sweating isn´t the problem per se, but that it is like an indication that there is something about the situations that make me sweat that I need to pay attention to. He says that it´s all like a "web" and everything is connected and he asks me questions about what does it mean to me having interactions with other people, what does it mean to me if they find out that I´m sweating that much, what is the sweating protecting me from (what activities do I avoid because of the sweating), etc. It is a very interesting process, regarding of the results with the amount of sweat. What I mean is, you shouldn´t go there thinking that the psychologist will have your answer and tell you "oh, you need to do this..." and the sweating will stop. That´s not why I´m going. What I try to achieve in therapy is having more acceptance toward the sweating itself (and myself for having this problem) and discovering different aspects to which apply EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), which does produce faster results (however I haven´t been able to reduce the sweating this way either) but, by using EFT, I can now imagine telling everyone about it, or them finding out about my sweating, with almost no negative emotional intensity whatsoever.

Hope that helps

Absolutely, that really is interesting to hear. I went to a psychologist for a short while, but unfortunately didn't really connect with him at all, and found him to be no use to me whatsoever, even in terms of figuring out my general anxiety (which i see as the cause of my sweating).

But I do think that if I want to gain more control over my situation I will have to find someone else who perhaps deals more exclusively with anxiety and that sort of thing.

Anyway, thanks a lot for sharing.

brhernan

Hi, I have seen some improvement: maybe not about the amount of sweating, but about my letting it control my life and being afraid of it. I don´t know if this is because of the therapy itself or because I told my friends and some other people and they all showed me that it´s no big deal (that helped A LOT). With the psychologist, at least in my experience, the thing is like this: he is in the opinion that the sweating isn´t the problem per se, but that it is like an indication that there is something about the situations that make me sweat that I need to pay attention to. He says that it´s all like a "web" and everything is connected and he asks me questions about what does it mean to me having interactions with other people, what does it mean to me if they find out that I´m sweating that much, what is the sweating protecting me from (what activities do I avoid because of the sweating), etc. It is a very interesting process, regarding of the results with the amount of sweat. What I mean is, you shouldn´t go there thinking that the psychologist will have your answer and tell you "oh, you need to do this..." and the sweating will stop. That´s not why I´m going. What I try to achieve in therapy is having more acceptance toward the sweating itself (and myself for having this problem) and discovering different aspects to which apply EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), which does produce faster results (however I haven´t been able to reduce the sweating this way either) but, by using EFT, I can now imagine telling everyone about it, or them finding out about my sweating, with almost no negative emotional intensity whatsoever.

Hope that helps

Thank you for the details because my doctor suggested consuling but 'm not sure how it is going to help me. :?

Actually, if you want my opinion, what I would recommend you if you live in the US or UK is instead of a psychologist, an EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) practitioner or any other energy therapy (EFT is the one I´m most familiar with). Just search in www.emofree.com and click on the link of find a practitioner in your area.

If you do live in any of the countries where there are indeed EFT therapists (there aren´t in mine) I really think you can take advantage of that. In the US there are a lot. What they do is they work on your body´s energy system to correct any "disruption" (sweating/embarrasment or anxiety generated by sweating and its causes for example). EFT has had success with a lot of different diseases and traumas, among other things, so I don´t see why it could not be used for excessive sweating.

If you like, there are EFT therapists who are also psychologists or doctors, if you are more comfortable with that.

I think it could be especially helpful for dealing with the anxiety which may be the cause and/or consequence of the HH.

Best of luck