Sign in to follow this  
kiyose

Thinking seriously about ETS

Hi kiyose,

Thank you for keeping this topic updated for so long. It is important to report long-term progress after ETS surgery.

I have started reading HH forums again recently (this forum, no-ets.com, and wethandsclub.com -- lol funny name). With stories like yours I dream about completely eliminating my hand sweating, but now I am more scared of other side effects of ETS besides CS! So I definitely need to try other treatments first. I'm researching iontophoresis machines. I have never done that kind of treatment, so who knows, maybe it would have some benefit.

Hi Sweatparty,

Welcome to ESFB. Yes, definitely try all the treatments you can before considering ETS. My friend has underarm sweating and has botox injections once every 8-12 months. This treatment has worked for her and she is very happy with it.

I have noticed that I now have gustatory sweating. I didn't realise it until recently. It started off about 6 months ago and because it was very slight sweating, I didn't pay much attention to it, but now when eat spicy food I sweat quite a bit from my forehead and upper lip.

This year was the hottest year in Japan in 113 years according to newspaper reports. It was indeed horrible. It was the first time I had body odor since my operation in 2007. My feet were sweating, though not like before, when I would leave puddles everywhere. I don't think the CS was much worse than my friends' sweating. Many of them were changing clothes half way through the day and they don't have hyperhidrosis. Overall, I'm still very happy with the surgery. The weather is now cooler and I'm not sweating again.

Hi everyone,

As I'm sure you're all aware, Japan has been through a really rough time over the past couple of months. Most things have started to get back to normal in Tokyo now, but Fukushima is still in a state of devastation and will take up to ten years to rebuild.

The nuclear plant disaster has meant that electricity supply is less than before. In Tokyo, many train stations are still keeping lighting to a minimum and some escalators are not being switched on. Some trains have the air conditioner on during peak times, but even then, it's on very low. Most shops and restaurants don't use their air conditioners at all.

In regards to how I'm doing with my CS, it's bearable, but I am sweating a lot on the trains and it's still fall here, so I'm not looking forward to summer at all. My apartment is fairly cool, so I'm fine at home and haven't had to resort to using a fan yet. My condition is the same as previous years with my hands and feet still dry. My underarms are sweating a bit more, but I think that has more to do with the current environment that I'm in, than my body. I'm in my apartment now and completely sweat free.

Hi everyone,

Just realised that I made a mistake last time. It was spring when I last posted, not fall. Things have improved a lot in Tokyo. Some of the large companies have changed their work days, so instead of working Mon-Fri, they're operating Sat-Wed, which means that the use of electricity is being spread out over the week. This allows the trains to use air conditioning during peak times, so it's really good.

I started using my air conditioner two days ago. I was hoping not to use it at all and just use a fan, but it got too uncomfortable. My feet, chest, back and underarms were sweating non-stop. I couldn't even wipe them dry for a second, as every time I tried, the sweating would just start again.

I'm counting the days to September. Can't wait for the sweating to stop or at least reduce.

Hi everyone,

Didn't realise that I hadn't posted in almost two years. Things are pretty much the same. Just passed the six year mark. CS seems to be getting worse, but to be honest, I think the heat and humidity is increasing year by year.

Anyone got any tips on how to stop sweat from showing through t-shirts? I always wear a singlet top underneath, but there are still bits that aren't covered :(, so I have to be careful.

Hi everyone,

It's eight years since my op and things are pretty much the same. July/August are really humid months here and I try to stay inside as much as possible, as I get compensatory sweating when it's hot. The sweating of my hands, underarms and feet have not come back, even during these months. Overall, I'm very happy that I had a successful op, which enabled me to do things that I could never do when I was young.