Sign in to follow this  
kiyose

Thinking seriously about ETS

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I've passed my six months mark. I'm very happy with the results. The only time I sweat is when the humidity is high, and even then my hands don't sweat at all. Before they would drip even when it was snowing.

Thinking back to pre-surgery days, I remember reading over this forum with a pack of tissues next to me because the sweat from my hands would drip onto the mouse and keyboard. I've spent the past six months shaking hands/holding hands with people and really enjoying my social and professional life.

Here is a summary of my results.

1. My hands no longer sweat. They aren't overly dry, so I only moisturise day and night.

2. My feet occasionally feel moist if it's very humid, so around 90F. They don't sweat. The best way I can describe them is like after you wash your hands and dry them with a towel, there's usually a little bit of moisture left, but it's not wet.

3. My armpits don't sweat unless it's over 75F, even then it's a lot less than before.

4. I still sweat above my nipples.

5. I no longer have foot odor, which used to embarrass me all the time.

6. I have CS on my back and chest when it's around 75F and over. Both areas drip with sweat when I'm outside. I usually wear two tank tops, so the inner one absorbs the sweat. I stop sweating after about ten minutes once I get into an air conditioned place. CS lasted about four months this year. Tokyo is very humid compared to some other places.

7. My scars have faded a lot, but are still visible.

That's basically it. If you have any questions, please ask me. I'll be happy to answer them.

Hi everyone. Just a quick update. It's been almost a year since I've had the operation and I'm really glad I did it. Not much has changed since I last posted. My scars have faded more, but are still visible.

I had some geisha photos done last week and had the full makeup and kimono experience. I didn't think about my sweating before or during the photo shoot, but afterwards, I thought to myself, I could never have done this a year ago. I would not have been able to wear the makeup or clothes due to my excessive sweating.

Hi Jorel,

I am so sorry to hear about your hands starting to sweat again. Is it only on really humid days or every day?

I wouldnt say it gets sweaty...but it gets moist when im anxious, heavy activity, hot or nervous. Not to the point where it drips, but its not bone dry like before either. I think rigth now, im just "scared" that it'll come back full sweat. Sometimes when its windy or cold, my hands get pretty cold cuz of the moisture im assuming. Lately, ive been dealing with it better. I just ignore it. But with this 100 degree weather here, the CS is acting up again lol. I think i should try anti persperent on my chest or something. lol

The weather here is horribly humid atm. I get really bad CS on my back and chest. I can't wait for Fall, when my body will be normal again.

When your hands start to feel moist, start thinking about something else. Try a task that will keep your mind occupied for a long time, like listing the names of people you went to high school. I remember when my hands used to sweat, the more I thought about it, the more they would drip.

Are you on Facebook? I don't use Myspace anymore.

The weather here is horribly humid atm. I get really bad CS on my back and chest. I can't wait for Fall, when my body will be normal again.

When your hands start to feel moist, start thinking about something else. Try a task that will keep your mind occupied for a long time, like listing the names of people you went to high school. I remember when my hands used to sweat, the more I thought about it, the more they would drip.

Are you on Facebook? I don't use Myspace anymore.

Its true. When i think about it, it get moist. Its like pre ETS but "limited" cuz of the surgery. So i TRY not to have the anxiety that was associated it with. My mind is getting better. BUt now im dealing with the CS cuz its very hot here in socal..95F and up. I notice that my arms get moist to when i workout hard, so now my whole body sweats =P. Just cant wait till the weather cools down. Be thankful its only back and chest cuz my butt and legs get pretty wet too. ;) Im also starting to think that if you think about CS alot, it gets pretty bad too. I wonder if thats the case.

I should have listened to my own advice. After I typed my message last night, I started to think about my school days and how horrible it was having to do dance classes in PE. I had to hold people's hands and it was awful. My hands started to feel really warm when I was thinking about it and although they didn't sweat, they felt clammy. Yes, the best thing is not to think about it at all.

I should have listened to my own advice. After I typed my message last night, I started to think about my school days and how horrible it was having to do dance classes in PE. I had to hold people's hands and it was awful. My hands started to feel really warm when I was thinking about it and although they didn't sweat, they felt clammy. Yes, the best thing is not to think about it at all.

awwwww! I knew i shouldnt have brought it up! :cry:

Alot of this stuff is mental. The only reason it came back for me is cuz my wife said "Jason's (my son) hands are really sweaty!". I started to feel bad for him and remembered how i felt back in the day, then i thought my hands were clammy too...so i got really obsessed with it and started checking constantly. Please just ignore it. Though its been 2 months now, my hands are never to the point where i think anyone has even noticed. Its still pretty much dry. I bet its the same as the last 3 years, but now "i" noticed it a bit. You know how your mind works when you think about things too much. You notice every little thing even if its nothing.

My mother and brother both sweat excessively, so it definitely gets passed on in my family. I hope it's not too bad for Jason.

You know I managed to hide my sweating for 34 years from everyone. The only times I got caught was during the horrible dance lessons at school and during my driving lessons. I perfected the art of holding things when I met people, so I rarely had to shake hands with them.

Oh yeah, and on the odd occasion when I had to do training for work and I knew there would some hand holding activities, I'd call in sick or go to training pretending I had a cold, so that my colleagues wouldn't touch me. Gosh, the things I did to hide my sweating.

Oh yeah, and on the odd occasion when I had to do training for work and I knew there would some hand holding activities, I'd call in sick or go to training pretending I had a cold, so that my colleagues wouldn't touch me. Gosh, the things I did to hide my sweating.

yah...same here...most of my buddies didnt even know.

Right now, i think what bothers me the most is the fear of the sweating coming back like it was pre-ets. Though my hands are slighty moist now, its still better than it was before ets. I really just need to stop thinking and checking it constantly. Its the anixety all over again, and i know the anxiety will make it worst in the future. SO i really need to get over this small amount of dampness now.

I wish more people who've had surgery would come back and post. It would be good to hear about their experiences five or more years down the track.

Well I had ETS in 1999 (re-done 2000) and lumbar sympathectomy in 2001 so it's now 7 years since my last surgery.

All I can say is that the operations are the biggest and most stupid mistakes of my life - I struggle to cope on a daily basis (esp this time of year), and despite trying everything I just can't find a way to ease things. :cry:

I would do anything to get back to how I was pre-op (dripping hands and feet). Believe me, this (IMO) is a lot easier to cope with then soaked clothes all the time.

My advice would be to not get any sympathectomy surgery for this - it's such a ridiculous procedure (i.e. severing vital nerves) and there are so many other treatments out there, but it's down to personal choice I guess.

:cry:

IJR, I'm really sorry to hear about what's happening with you. Do you sweat when you're in an air conditioned room? Which parts of your body are the worst for you? What have you tried for your CS?

IJR, I'm really sorry to hear about what's happening with you. Do you sweat when you're in an air conditioned room? Which parts of your body are the worst for you? What have you tried for your CS?

Thanks, it's just really hard to deal with, which the surgeons never tell you. :cry:

I'm usually quite okay in an air conditioned room, but will sweat like hell even just walking for about 5-10 mins.

I sweat from my back, stomach, chest, buttocks, groin, legs, and (ironically) still hands and feet a bit. Don't get me wrong though - I wish my hands and feet would drip like they used to, i.e. to get back to how I was and ease/eliminate all the CS. Never gonna happen though eh. :cry: Without doubt the worst area is the back.

In terms of treatment, since late-2002 I have tried the following for CS (nearly all ineffective):

Ditropan (Oxybutinin)

Avert (Robinul/Glycopyrrolate)

Secure Wipes (Robinul) - 1%, 2%, and 3% strengths

Acupuncture

Chinese herbalism

Homeopathy

Aromatherapy

Western herbalism (e.g. Sage)

Vitamins, supplements etc

As I've said in another thread, I'm currently doing everything I can think of to encourage my cut nerves to grow back (my surgeon did say years ago that my hands could start sweating again - so from this I assumed he meant that the nerves could potentially grow back years later?), and so am taking a range of researched supplements, vitamins and herbs for nerve regeneration (instead of actual sweat reduction). No joy so far but will post any positive changes if they occur.:)

Thank you for posting. I think it's really important for those who've had surgery to keep everyone updated. I had surgery a year and a half ago, so I'm really a newbie still. I don't sweat for eight months of the year, but I live in Tokyo and the humidity here is crazy, so from July to August, my CS is bad. I sweat in June and September, but it's bearable. Even people who don't suffer from hyperhidrosis sweat like mad in summer here.

Has your CS gotten worse over the years? I know that many people have said that their CS has stayed relatively the same, but they all had surgery five years ago or less. My CS is the same as last summer. I try hard to stay indoors or on public transport as much as possible.

Has your CS gotten worse over the years? I know that many people have said that their CS has stayed relatively the same, but they all had surgery five years ago or less. My CS is the same as last summer. I try hard to stay indoors or on public transport as much as possible.

Unfortunately yeah it's got worse! :cry: When it started in 2002 it was mostly just on my back and legs, but since then it's also spread to my chest and stomach.

God I hate the NHS! :cry:

Hi everyone. Hope you're all well. No major changes from the previous years. CS started around the middle of May. My back and chest are my main concerns when I'm out and about. I usually try and stay in the shade if I can. I'm fine if I'm indoors. I don't even think about sweating anymore, which before, used to preoccupy my mind every waking hour. Will update again in a few months. Take care.

Hi everyone. It's getting quite cold in Tokyo. Loving the weather. A bit of sweating at times because the trains, restaurants and shops are way overheated. Most of my friends are the same though, so it doesn't have anything to do with the surgery. Have a great Xmas and New Year. Stay safe.

I just went through all of your topic and found it great from when you started to where you are now. I am also contemplating whether or not to do ETS. I have generalized hyperhidrosis which is mostly hands, feet, armpits, face, and i get facial blushing too. The advice I could get from here is to have only T3 cut. I am like you atm, very confused, and I'm thinking of both scenarios after the surgery: one that has me happy and one that has me even more crippled than now. I'm very scared and confused and I live in Lebanon; surgerons here aren't that great so I'm very confused about ETS.

Hi Lethal Injection,

Having ETS is a very difficult decision to make. You don't know the outcome, so it's something you have to really think hard about.

The best advice someone told me on this forum was to read all the information about ETS, then walk away and weigh up the pros and cons. And never, never do it if you have any doubts. I went as far as cancelling my surgery because I was so confused and then finally re-booking it again.

I have been very lucky with my results, but others haven't, so you need to ask yourself, if your results are bad, what would your life be like? Would those side effects be better or worse than what you're going through now?

I wish you all the best in making your decision. If you have any questions for me, you can ask here or send me a private message.