Sign in to follow this  
kiyose

Thinking seriously about ETS

Thank you for the information Zinedine and for your comments Mightymouse. I will be making my final decision based on the advice everyone here has given me; which is to study the pros and cons and make a choice on what is best for me considering my own unique situation. As you all know, it is a very difficult decision and I thank everyone for their support and kind words.

Still haven't made a final decision yet. Had lots of tests done on Tuesday. Will see my doctor next Thursday for the results and talk more about the surgery.

Worked out that I'm awake around 16 hours a day. In cold weather, like now, I sweat between 8-10 hours, the dripping kind and in hot, humid weather, 14-16 hours. I hate it when my hands and feet swell and go numb. I can't even hold a pen properly, which is a real pain, as I'm a teacher.

Hello Kiyose,

I just wanted to drop by to wish you well. Good luck with the tests too.

Please take your time with this decision. There is no real rush, so make sure within your heart that you feel at peace with whatever decision you make. Just look at mchh's journey. In the end you will know what is right for you.

Take good care of yourself and keep us posted.

Kiyose, Your question made me realize this: It's not so much that I can now do something that I couldn't do before. It's more like I am now more comfortable or confident about doing certain things like:

- shaking or holding hands, hugging people

- doing paperwork without ruining it

- gripping a golf club, bowling ball or other objects

- playing my guitar or piano

- playing cards or board games

- handling delicate items like stamps, photographs, needle and thread

- driving

- doing electrical work, woodworking and other hands-on activities

- reading books

Those of you who have sweaty hands can relate to some of these things. They may not seem like "major" concerns but they do add up. We use our hands for so much. George.

I can relate to many of the things you mentioned, George. When my hands are dry or slightly damp, I think to myself, I've had this condition for 34 years, I've survived so far, why am I risking an operation? Then I have moments like yesterday, when I was eating a hamburger in the staff room and sweat was dripping down the sides of my hands. I was happily chatting away and didn't even realise it was happening. I really hoped that none of my colleagues noticed.

Many people read this thread, but only a few contribute, so I gather that there are many others like me, who are indecisive about what to do. I hope that my ramblings help other sufferers, so they know that they're not alone.

For those of you who have been keeping up with my story, you'll know that ETS surgery was scheduled for next week. I postponed/cancelled it today. Not sure which really. I had a bad feeling that I couldn't shake, and I didn't want to go into surgery feeling like that.

I will try all the lotions again. My problem with them before was that I sweat so often that it is difficult to find a time to put the lotion on. My skin would turn red, itchy and hurt severely.

I've had Driclor on for about 10 minutes now and it's stinging like mad. It started within the first minute. My feet and hands are fine. No pain at all, but the armpits are very painful.

Hi everyone,

Well, after cancelling surgery, I ended up rescheduling and having surgery yesterday morning. I haven't had any sweat from my hands or armpits at all. My feet sweat a bit less than before too. Will keep you up to date with what happens.

Kiyose, I am happy for you. It is not an easy decision to make. Your chest will be pretty sore and sensitive for a week or two- mine was anyway. You know about the purge sweating so you won't fret but it is unnerving. Please keep us posted on your progress. George.

Thank you for your post George. At the moment, I'm still kind of in shock that I'm not sweating. The most noticeable thing for me was, a day before surgery, the doctor took a blood test and my hands were sweating so much that sweat was dripping on to the table. After surgery, he took another blood test and my hands were completely dry the entire time.

WOW, kiyose.

You just made probably the hardest decision you will ever make in your life!

Yes, as George said--your chest will be sore, and you will probably have trouble getting a deep breath.

I know I sat still for a couple of days---afraid to move~~that I might "rip or undo" something the surgeon did!

Pls. keep us posted...you are going to be fine!! Congrats on making that decision...hopefully, you can "start" the life you always dreamed of!!

Michael

Sorry I didn't reply to your last private message, Michael. I hope you understand that I just had to disappear for a while because everything written on these boards were just totally confusing me, which is why I cancelled surgery the first time.

It's so strange not sweating. I'm still trying to get used to it. I hope my CS won't be severe. I had some sweating along my stomach and back yesterday while walking to the station, but not more than usual.

I'm going to a farewell party tomorrow night. This will be my test, as I'm usually dripping during the night. I was at a party last Sunday and it was under 10 degrees and I had to keep wiping my hands. I really hope this works.

HEY Kiyose,

Good to hear from you!! I completely understand(disappearing)...I am in someways glad I only found this forum a couple of days prior to surgery. So, I did not get to see all the negative comments about ETS. I may not have gone thru with it. So, I commend you for taking mine and george's advice, and taking some time to make up YOUR own mind. You had the facts, and you reflected--and than decided YOU must do it. So, again~ Congrats on the decision- making. Again, I know how hard it was!!

That said, its only 10 degrees where you are now? If thats the case, you will not have a true test of CS until it warms up a bit. I am not trying to scare you--just prepare you! If you are going to a reception, and trying your new "body" for the first time in a stressful environment~~ BE CAREFUL what you wear! Do not just wear a light shirt---put a Tshirt or similiar underneath it~~to catch the sweat--if any!

Keep me posted!

I am SOOOOO HAPPY for you that you have gotten relief from your sweat!!!!!!!!!! You must be elated... I know I was. Just think, you can hold hands with the next "hot guy" you see!:):D:lol:

It's about 20 degrees now and I haven't had any sweating at all. Before surgery, it could snow and I would sweat. Night time is still cold here. I'm just so excited about everything. I will be making lots of posts over the next few days and boring you all with the tiniest changes that happen.

I have nothing but praise for the wonderful doctors at Tokyo University Hospital. I had a team of seven doctors working on me the whole time. They explained the risks and complications in detail and were just terrific.

I went back to work today and am thrilled to say, my hands and armpits did not sweat once. I walked for twenty minutes before work and usually I would be drenched in sweat, but today I had a slightly damp back and my feet had a tiny bit of sweat. I was wearing a jacket as I was trying to hide the bandages, otherwise I don't think I would have sweat at all.

I went to pay for lunch today and usually my purse and money would be wet from my hands but there was no sweat. Typing with dry hands is a real novelty for me. I have spent all my life typing with a cloth or box of tissues by my side. I'm still not used to it.

The major problem at the moment is breathing. I slept on an armchair last night, as laying flat made it more difficult to breathe. I'm being very conscious of my breathing, even now while sitting. The doctors explained that this would happen, so I'm not too concerned.

I will keep you all posted on the good and bad points of the surgery.

Before surgery, I would sweat everyday, sometimes up to 14-16 hours a day. I was born with hyperhidrosis. My brother has moderate hyperhidrosis and my mother, severe.

I went to a farewell party on Saturday from 6:30pm to 4am, and I am delighted to say I did not sweat once the entire evening. My hands, armpits and feet were completely dry for the first time in my life. I shook hands with so many people. Before, I would find ways to avoid touching people, like holding things in both hands and hugging people instead.

I am still having slight problems breathing normally, but I can sleep flat without worry now.

In about ten hours it will be my one month anniversary for ETS surgery. I cannot express how happy I am with the outcome. I'm loving my new life. My hands, armpits and feet do not sweat even when it's 30C. At the moment, it hasn't gotten over that temperature yet, so I will update you all again when the weather gets hotter. I have CS, but it is very manageable. I start to cool down and dry off within ten minutes of entering an air conditioned room. I don't even think about sweating anymore, whereas before it occupied my life every day. I haven't had any negative side effects, except difficulty with my breathing at the beginning, but the doctors warned me about that, so I was prepared.

It was the hardest decision I've ever made and I was very lucky that the surgery was a success with very minor CS. For those who are thinking about surgery, please remember that there are pros and cons to this. Get as much information as you can before deciding one way or another what to do.