Sign in to follow this  
kiyose

Thinking seriously about ETS

I forgot to add, the person who emailed me about his torso sweating said it becomes really bad at 86F. I live and work in Tokyo and my hometown is Sydney. I am always in these two places. Tokyo is hot and humid, and although Sydney's not as humid, the temperature gets way higher than 86F in summer. Can others please tell me their experiences with hot weather? Thank you.

kiyose,

I definitely have CS. I would not consider it extreme. I do think that any other person who all of a sudden woke up with the kind of sweat I have with CS would be really bothered by it. I think I have said before that ...because people with HH have defense mechanisms already in place, it is easier to deal with the excessive sweat psychologically.

But, more specifically, I find my my sweat troublesome when... I guess above 80% humidity or there abouts?? It could be 90 degrees, and I am not that bothered -- but high humidity is the killer~!!

I really would be interested in knowing who has extreme CS. What did the surgeon cut...T2, T3, both, more??? Is troublesome CS just subjective?? In that its pretty much the same for most people, but some take it harder??? would love to hear... thanks!!

Hi mchh,

I understand what you're saying. I've had severe hyperhidrosis all my life, so depending on the CS, even though it may be bad, in comparison to my original problem, and plus all the defense mechanisms I already have in place, the CS may not be bad for me. Someone with mild to moderate hyperhidrosis may view the CS differently, because their original condition wasn't so severe.

I just read about a person who was unhappy with their surgery. Unfortunately, there wasn't an email address for me to contact them. She had blushing and excessive sweating in situations where she was nervous or in extreme heat. (I don't mean to offend anyone, but this to me doesn't warrant ETS surgery in the first place. I sweat excessively when it's winter and everyone's wearing scarves and gloves) She now sweats very badly on her torso. Her pants feel wet in hot weather and she is restricted in what she can and cannot do.

Kiyose, Concerning CS after ETS. I live in southern California where the temperatures certainly get well above 85 degrees in the summer. I agree with mchh that humidity seems to be a significant factor in CS. To put things in perspective, I've been embarrassed by CS 2 or 3 times in the last 3 years (not really sure that anyone even noticed) whereas my sweaty hands use to embarrass me most every day.

kiyose,

My hands never sweat since ETS. I made a comment earlier... that I do not have any uncomfortable dryness ---which I have heard others complain about after ETS. I have heard people say that their hands are like sand paper...this is not the case for me!!

I am curious to know, kiyose...why is your doc cutting T2??---particularly if you do not have facial symptoms? If you do have facial blush/sweat, I understand his reasoning. If not...than I am stumped!

KOOLOCO, it is funny...my absolute favorite weather is when I am vacationing around the Hermosa and Manhattan Beach, Redondo area in Southern California. There does not seem to be too much humidity there, and you are always in and out of pools/ocean, etc. for recreation. And, everything is still air conditioned!! Even in July and August, its great! That weather is heaven to me. But, I do notice the closer to San Diego I go---the more my remaining problem of blush/CS acts up again. :(

Hi Mchh,

Good to hear that your hands are always dry. I sweat in the area between my nose and lips when I get nervous or when it's really hot. Maybe that's why the doctor wants to cut T2 as well. I will ask him at my next appointment.

I would definitely ask him, kiyose. In my opinion, from reading....that when you involve the T2---that is when the most dissatisfaction seems to occur---whether it is from CS or not sweating above the upper chest. I believe the T2 is responsible for some serious stuff, thermoregulation wise. I have heard some people all of a sudden get a flushing problem(like a constant redness...which is different than blushing).

Also, kiyose--my face almost never sweats under stress(exercise, yes) since a T3 cut...so definitely ask your doc. I am very curious...I just want to lessen your chances of any problems post ETS.

mchh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that humidity is a frequent problem here. It is only a few days out of the year that it is oppressive. Even when it is humid, it is more tolerable by the beach where the ocean breezes make it more comfortable. It sounds like your hands are like mine. Mine are not too dry either. Sometimes it almost feels like they're clammy but I think its more in my mind. Since my surgery I have had many dreams that my hands have started sweating again and the sensation is very real.

Kiyose, If you do have ETS and if you like exercising, I would think that you would want to be able to sweat from your face. I know I keep repeating that but I think that it is very important. Also, have you heard about "purge" sweating on the 4th or 5th day after ETS. It happened to me and really scared me.

I read a bit about purge sweating on other threads. My main research now involves whether I should cut T2 and/or T3. What I really dislike about hyperhidrosis is that on the rare occasions I'm not sweating and I think to myself how great it is, then I start to sweat. I really need to learn not to think about it at all.

I'm slowly getting back to my confused state. Over the past couple of days, I have emailed several people from different forums who get CS when it's hot to the point that their shirts or pants get damp to wet, but they are still happy with the results of surgery. I sweat excessively in four places currently in all weather conditions. I'm now trying to work out is it better to stay this way all year round, or sweat along my torso badly for three months of the year. I guess I wouldn't sweat if I'm in an air conditioned room. Is that right? I wear a lot of black and white clothes now to disguise the sweating. I was hoping after surgery I would have more choice in what I wear. Sorry for waffling. I'm just trying to gather my thoughts and typing everything out helps.

The other thing is I don't want any scars on my chest. The surgeon said they don't perform the operation any other way at the hospital. Is there any way to cover scars these days? They would be visible if I wore a strapless top. I don't know how much they'd fade or how long they'd take to lessen.

Another pro for having the operation here is that if there are any complications (eg. infections), I can see my doctor straight away. I wouldn't be able to stay in the States for more than ten days, so if some problem occurred I would have to see a different doctor back in Japan.

My friend recommended bio oil which is used for scarring, burn marks etc. I wonder how much two 5mm scars would annoy me in the future. My mind is working overtime again.

Hi Kiyose,

At the end of the day, nobody can tell you whether the surgery will be a success or not or what sort of CS you will be afflicted with (if any).

I see you have been researching ETS since 2005. I am assuming you have acquired a mountain of information by now. This is great, but it seems you are now suffering from information overload caused by all the conflicting stories and data you are reading.

At this point it may be good to sit back and reflect on your situation. Let's say that you decide to have the surgery. Imagine the very worst case scenario. Ask yourself if you would be able to cope with this. How would you feel if you were unlucky enough to experience all the adverse symptoms people talk about? Play it out in your head. Afterall, if you do go ahead with the surgery, you need to be prepared for the worst...but of course hope for the best. Only you can weigh up the pros and cons.

The surgery was a life saver for me......literally. I can not even see the scars anymore. I had the surgery 3 years ago.

Good luck with your decision.

Wow--- Tyler,

After reading the last post by kiyose...I was going to respond with exactly the same words you used. And, I mean EXACTLY!!!

So, I will try to put a response in my own words----

kiyose,

I had ETS when I was 37 years old. I had been gathering information since I was aboout 16 years old about sympathectomies. I had tons of information. They used to cut your back open back then, and it was a 2 week hospital stay. Things have come a long way! I have been told by an expert in the field of thoracic surgery that...ETS is the best it will probably ever be.

That said, at some point you have to make a decision. For me, I would have always thought, what if?? I would never have been able to live a full life knowing that this surgery could dramatically affect my life---and I was not going to try it?? I probably would have had the surgery about 10 years earlier, but I got mixed up in psychiatry and tranquilizers, and throw in some alcohol abuse, All the meds did was numb the pain I felt about my social isolation. The tranquilizers put off in my mind what I knew I would eventually do---but was too scared.

If you are like me, kiyose, you want someone to look you in the eye and say that your CS will not be bad. And, if it is bad---who can you blame?? Like Tyler said, nobody can predict the success of your surgery. You have to be in the best physical and mental shape you can be!! When I laid down on that surgery table, I knew I had done EVERYTHING I could possibly do to ensure a good outcome...researched my doc and his methods thoroughly, got in remarkable cardio strength and accepted mentally that this was the best decision I could make for myself(I will be ok regardless of the outcome!) It was 20 years of preparation for the surgery. I was actually so calm the day of, and treated the day like a vacation---and enjoyed the attention I was receiving from docs and nurses.

For me, I knew when the time was right to have the surgery. I put my trust in my faith and it was the best decision of my life!!!

Whether or not you have the surgery is your own choice---just make sure you are happy and at peace with your decision. Do not act on what others tell you!!

Best of Luck!!

Hi mchh,

Your journey clearly illustrates what a personal and sacred decision it is to have ETS.

I hear you so clearly. I am so grateful that our decision was a good one. Actually towards the end, it wasn't really a decision anymore. Like yourself, I just knew I had to do it, rightly or wrongly.

We were 'lucky' for want of a better word. My heart goes out to those who are suffering.

I wish you continued good health mchh!

Thank you for your posts Tyler and Mchh. Today started off really well. No sweating all day until 5pm, then I went into a department store and it started. Almost five hours later and I still haven't had a break from the sweating. I'm cold, wet, frustrated and crying.

You're both right with your posts. I'm so overloaded with information that I can't make a decision. Every time I get to 99% sure of having the operation, I read something that scares me and I start doubting my decision again.

Tyler, what was your condition like before surgery? What CS do you suffer from now? When do you sweat now?

Hi Kiyose,

If I tell you that my CS is severe, I will scare you. If I tell you that my CS is virtually non existent, I will encourage you. Can you see that my results have no bearing on what your results will be?

My only advice would be, is to give this decision much more time. With so much information confusing you and conflicting reports, it is impossible to make a rational decision one way or another.

Just a thought, but perhaps take some time away from these forums and talking to people about their experiences. Turning to others in the vain hope that they will tell you what you want to hear is not the answer.

Instead, concentrate on your personal state of mind and what you are feeling. Do some introspective thinking. You may find that without outside influences, you will be able to come to a decision that you will feel at peace with.

Good luck Kiyose.

DO NOT CONSIDER ETS AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WILL LITERALLY RUIN YOUR LIFE , JUST AS MINE AND MANY MANY OTHERS , YOU THINK THE SIDEEFFECTS ARE JUST MINIMAL YOU BETTER STUDY UP ON THE SYMPATHETIC NERVE CHAIN , IT HAS MANY AND I MEAN MANY OTHER FUNCTION THAN JUST INTERFEARING WITH SWEATING!!! ONCE AGAIN DO NOT CONSIDER ETS AT ALL TURN BACK WHILE YOU STILL CAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mighty___________

...ETS most certainly did not ruin my life, nor have I had any side effects that were not explained to me in advance. There were no surprises with the surgery, except that it helped my facial blushing/sweating more than I thought it would( although still a nuisance to me).

...ETS allowed me to start looking forward to my future. Its been a mental lifesaver for me!!