Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tom

Propanolol Review

Guest Tom

Hi All

Before the board shut down I had a post going about Propanolol for blushing. My doctor prescribed it to help my blushing and I told everyone I'd inform them of my progress.

Before trying this drug I found that it had mixed reviews. Some people found that it worked great for blushing while for others it didn't work at all. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I'd take 50mg an hour before a social or stressful event in which I felt I'd be blushing. I found that it did relax me, however, I still would blush.

Oh well, the search continues!

Guest Anonymous

Wow, you took 50 MGs?? That is a lot, what did the doctor tell you to normally take in one dose? The most I have ever taken at once is 40 mg. with two Benadryl and I was feeling a little funy like something wasn't right with my heart beat/rythm. Now the most I will take of propranolol is 30 mg and I won't take it with benadryl, you don't know how these drugs can interact....I'd rather be red than dead from an OD trying to stop the blushing.

Guest Tom

Yes, he told me it was no problem to take 50 mg's. Also, some people have mentioned they take up to 80 mg. However, I'm not a doctor so I can't say what is an acceptable dose to take.

Hey, I just starting using propranolol the other day, and it has helped me tremendously. I just had to do a 5 min speech for my public speaking class(have to take to graduate) and I didnt blush at all. I took 40mg an hour before and I didnt feel any blush or anxiety at all which is a huge change for me. Just last week I had to do a group presentation where I only had to talk for like 2 min and my face felt like it was on fire. so the propranolol definitely made a difference. and as far as the dosage, it says in the paper that comes with it that you can take up to 320mg a day. they make pills of this that are 160mg, so i wouldnt worry about taking 50. i think it would take a lot to overdose on this.

another thing about this is that you dont need a prescription and its incredibly cheap. i got it from mastersmarketing.com for $4 for 28 40mg tabs. Worth a shot.

Paul

I've been taking Propranolol almost everyday for 9 years now. I began with 10mg per day. I am currently on 160mg to 200mg a day (sometimes more depending on how stressed I feel). The potency of the drug certainly does become less with prolonged use. In fact it does almost nothing for my blushing now. It just helps to keep me calm (though this is now debatable as well)

I've actually started buying my meds off the internet, because my new doctor wanted to put me on some crappy slow-release propranolol that was such a low dose that I just new would do nothing for me. And they're cheaper!

Mooch

I am a first year student in pharmacy school, and suffer from social anxiety as well as blushing. I know a little about pharmaceutics from school and first-hand experience. I have to give a lot of powerpoint presentations for school that need to last for 15 minutes and so I needed to figure out how to contain my blushing and anxiety during this. First I took Paxil CR without much relief which was really to be expected.

Propranolol works GREAT for me. I take 40 mg. one hour before a speech and it is truly a life-saver for me! It is very important to take this drug only once in a while if it is not prescribed for you for such indications as high blood pressure, angina, etc. and do NOT take it if you have asthma, low blood pressure, or bradycardia.

Guest Anonymous

I take 1 x 10 mg Inderal (propanolol) and 3 x 50 mcg Clonidine/day, and so far so good. Inderal on it's own worked like a charm at first, but lost it's edge after a while. But this combo has worked very good for me. I suspect I'll maybe have to up the Inderal dose at some point, but it's definetly something I can recommend you guys to look into.

Guest Anonymous
Inderal sounds offputting because apparently it messes with the heart?

That's the point with a beta blocker like Inderal. It slows down your heart rate and stop it from racing away, weather it be because you're in one of those situations or if you're doing something physichal.

Popping pills may not be the ideal solution, but it's a life saver for many and can bring back parts of your life you thought were gone forever.