Sign in to follow this  
JB

Where do chicken eggs come from?

Ok, I have more or less been accused of being a dumb blonde in the Rosacea Forum and I know I am too angry to reply! So, I am here to let off steam.

I have 8 chooks and some days the eggs...mmm...how can I word this...well...they have chook poo slimed over the shells. I know chickens are female and it's a reproductive thing but why the chook poo? Eggs don't come out of their bums, right?! :lol:

Anyone have any suggestions? :lol:

JB

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yup! Just like human childbirth, chickie!

Do you see why we began implementing pre-partum enemas in labor wards? Keeps things a bit less messy :?

Let me know if I'm being too disgusting...but I'm used to speaking too openly about body functions sometimes! :oops:

Chick, chick, chick, chick, chicken...

Lay a little egg for me...

Chick, chick, chick, chick, chicken...

I want one for my tea...

I havent had an egg since breakfast...

And now its half past three...

So chick, chick, chick, chick, chicken...

Lay a little egg for me!

:lol:

BB

:lol: Good answer BB! Love your sense of humour! Brightens my day!

So, I guess I won't be inviting you over for quiche night then Claude?!

Hey, I couldn't find anything about chicken eggs in the General Area, TP! :lol: Ah, since I'm supposed to be a dumb blonde, I may as well act like one - such as the title of this thread! :lol:

You're a sweetheart Vicky and thanks for your warmth.

Luv JB

My childhood was mainly spent on a farm and i always wonderin a lot about that and made it clear 2 myself they have one "outcome" :roll:

poor chickens by the way we souldn eat so much of them they live in such a tiny cage where they truly suffer,unless its free range

I agree. Free range is the way forward! Infact, no, I believe home farming is the real way to go!

Grow your own veg, chickens (eggs) etc. Farmers markets... all that business. I hate supermarkets, feeding us on over processed rubbish. The 'chicken nugget culture' is good for no one.

JB does breed her own chickens though, I believe. She is quite amazing! Her diet consists of virtually all home grown foods, if Im correct?

I hope to do something similar one day. Its definately the way to go. VG, perhaps we could have a little farm out in the back garden?

BB

BB u right supermarket food who knows whats in it but is hard when u live in town but options and enviroment friendly food is also avaiable there.

My dad has a big farm we had our own chickens and pigs but as we felt sorry 4 them only ate the eggs and the fox later came in our garden as its 2 big 4 any fence they loved freedom so he ate them :cry:

The pigs also lived free only came home 2 sleep and eat but we also couldn eat them they were just like the dogs 4us so either died in old age or wondered off and never came back.

Dont say we dont need meat but also 4 meat lovers is a middle animal friendly way

JB does breed her own chickens though, I believe. She is quite amazing! Her diet consists of virtually all home grown foods, if Im correct?

Well, I don't breed the chickens myself BB, just get the eggs from my 'girls'. I named their chook pen The Taj Mahal - it is rather grand! My girls eat very well indeed. I thought about getting a Rooster but then wondered how I would know if an egg was fertilised or ok to eat?

I also have two vegie patches and try to plant as much variety as possible. I learnt from my first round of planting that one needs not plant 30 of the same thing! My friends shared in my hard work with fresh produce! I even supplied a restaurant once cos I had so much! LOL

Ah, I'm not amazing BB, but thanks for your kind words. I've got the space to do such things and enjoy getting grubby out back.

Luv JB x

I thought about getting a Rooster but then wondered how I would know if an egg was fertilised or ok to eat?

I grew up in a house on the outskirts of town with plenty of property and so we had quite a few animals. My father was definitely a 'farmer-wannabe' :lol:

Anyway, we had about 20 chickens at one point and my understanding was that the presence of a rooster is what stimulates the hens to lay an egg almost daily. Without a rooster, eggs still may be produced but at a more random, sporadic rate. Fertilized eggs are still totally 'edible' and unless you look under the microscope or something like that, I don't think that you can tell the difference with a non-fertilized egg. UNLESS you allow them to be incubated by the hen, of course...then you will get a chickie...or not! :lol:

If you need anecdotal info on rabbits, guinea pigs, cows, pigs, sheep, llamas , monkeys, dogs, cats, ferrets, squirrels or horses, please feel free to ask! :oops:

Ah, Vicky, that makes sense. Some days I get only a couple of eggs and other days more. I think the most I have collected in one day is 9 eggs.

Mum and Dad had a small farm when I was young, yes 'wannabe farmers' too. LOL We had all manner of animals. I don't see the point in feeding an animal that won't give me something though. I thought about getting a goat for milk but then I don't drink the stuff anymore. Then there's the cost of feeding it and having to squeeze it's nipples everyday! LOL Ok...not going there! LOL

Luv JB x

I'm in Australia, Niki.

Oh and talking about weeding, Vicky...went out back to tackle some of the grass that grows in (so hate it). The big patch is the hardest one to keep under control. Could only stand about 10 minutes of it. It's a scorcher of a day today. Don't know what the temp is but it would have to be at least 40C! So BB, please feel free to come and do some weeding whenever you like. Now, if it were you Vicky, I would weed your patch any time you like! :wink:

JB :shock:

So BB, please feel free to come and do some weeding whenever you like. Now, if it were you Vicky, I would weed your patch any time you like! :wink:

Sorry my darling from down under, you require a solid trowel for that job... and something tells me you're not properly equipped!

Where as I may have just the thing...

SUITS YOU!

39784915toshsuitsyousirkl2.jpg

BB