KOKOLOCO

3 year anniversary

I moved this post from another section as it seems more appropriate here.

I had ETS for palmer hyperhydrosis. It is, apparently, a sensitive issue for many but I want to report my personal experiences and those of my sister who had the surgery a few years before me. My sweaty hands were a real embarassment to me in both my personal life and occupation(I don't need to go into detail on this because most of you know what it is like). I used the Drionic for years with fair results but it became increasingly difficult to devote the time needed for the treatments. My sister was happy with her ETS procedure and recommended it to me so I had it done in the winter of '03-'04.

My hands have been sweat free ever since. I do have a couple of noticeable scars on each side of my chest and in the summer my compensatory sweating can be annoying depending on what clothes I'm wearing. Unlike my sister, I am still able to sweat above my neck. That was something that I didn't give much thought about before the procedure. I exercise regularly and it feels good to me to sweat from my face after a workout. Although my sister is happy to have dry hands, her dry face is one side effect that she isn't pleased with. My feet still sweat as much as they did before ETS. My sister's feet were dry for a couple of years and then started to sweat again.

Given that my sister's side effects differed from my own, it is not too surprising that there seems to be a wide variety of outcomes reported here. I am glad that I had ETS done but I also think that the risks and side effects are not fully understood by many patients.

For me, the positives far outweigh the negatives. I hope that this information is helpful to someone. Good luck! George.

Amazing that in all our time at this forum, this is the first I've seen a 'rash' of positive outcomes -all posted within a relatively short amount of time. Interesting how they are all new members with very few posts and now they are all posting in a similar style...titled as timelines? :o

They also coincide with someone working for an ETS surgeon...somewhere... :?

If they're valid, then I'm terribly happy for you and thanks for your input.

VickyGirl, Your skepticism does not surprise me. I used to post here before and shortly after my surgery 3 years ago. Then, as now, there were people that had trouble accepting the fact that there were those that actually considered their surgeries successful. When I posted my experience with ETS, it was always the same response- "wait a year or wait a couple of years before assessing your satisfaction level." After a while I got tired of all the naysayers and stopped posting. 3 years later I still feel the same as I did then, only I couldn't remember my login information. That is why it looks like I am a newbie to this forum although some here may remember my numerous posts as "georgeandpat".

If you read my post you won't see me saying that I was 100% satisfied with my surgery. I mentioned my annoying CS and my noticeable scars. I mentioned my sister's dissatisfaction with her dry face. I mentioned that ETS did nothing to stop my foot sweating. I also mentioned that many patients are not aware of the risks and side-effects of ETS. Your implication that I am some sort of plant from the medical profession seems a bit irrational to me as I've tried to present the pros and cons of my own observations.

Yes, I am glad I had ETS done. I can now do paperwork without ruining it. I can now meet new people with confidence. I can hold hands in church services. I can be "normal".

George.

KOKOLOCO, VickyGirl offered a completely legitimate observation, your response does not serve you at all. As well, if you posted here previously, you would be aware that VickyGirl is supportive, helpful, and knowledgable, she is this forum's best asset.

Who did your surgery?

Twickle Purple

Hi George: Long time no see! Glad to see you back. I remember I had my ETS around the same time as you, 4 years for me (T3/4). Are you still in California? I'm doing well - my hands are still dry, and I'm really happy. I shudder to think how it used to be! BTW did you get that teardrop finished yet? Post us a pic.

TP and VG,

I would never question if you guys thought there was a fraud or frauds on this forum. You both have clearly contributed so much here.

That being said, I would hate to see that my posts about ETS go unread, or dismissed. It is my hope that someone finds them useful. I wish I had this kind of forum in my teens and twenties to refer to for much of the advice on here.

However, I am kind of glad that I did not come (in some ways) here before I had my ETS...because I notice some people that post positive results on here are quickly shot down. I might have chickened out of something that has really helped me on so many levels. I think those out there need to hear both sides if they are considering ETS!

Again, if anybody is reading my post for the first time...I had ETS for palmar HH, and any other bonuses(a reduced blushing/flushing) were just icing on the cake. I DID NOT have my surgery for blushing/flushing!

I will state my opinion again...if you have severe palmar HH that does not respond to all other treatments---ETS is worth looking into. I did a TON of research, however, before making this decision!! AND, I am a much happier person. I think all around me would testify to that. :)

Hi George (Kokoloco),

I am really sorry if I made a mistake about the sincerity of your input. Considering how many horror stories we get here from post-ETS patients, it is most wonderful to hear a positive story.

Unfortunately, this forum has also been a recent target of 'ETS surgeon advertising' and this makes it so difficult to differentiate the true success stories from the ads.

Thanks again for your input and good luck! :)

Hey mchh,

Your contributions to this board have been tremendous. I don't think anyone has ever questioned your motives. The only cases that create some suspicion tend to be ones in which a new member appears, claims how GREAT their surgeon was...then disappears forever.

We need sorts of opinions here: good and bad. Not ads.

Take care! :wink:

mcch,

ETS has helped some people, it also has devastated many others. In the past there was very anti-ETS rants by a few posters, those posters are not around (much) anymore. However, I am very aware of some unscrupulous activity and it is so important to separate the Wheat from the Chaff, so to speak. This is why I asked about the doctor who did the surgery. And, it is as VickyGirl has said, there is all of a sudden a crop of new pro-ETS threads by members who's post counts indicate are new (George excepted, as he explained.) The timing coincides with a new venture by a very unprincipled individual who's methodology has been to prey on people on this and the RF forums.

I hope that explains it. I will always ask and always request caution.

Best wishes,

Corinna

Understood, TP(Corrina)!!

I wouldn't mind having you to watch over some other decisions I make in my life. You seem like a confident, level headed person from your posts. You could certainly help sort out some of the trolls I work with~! :wink:

Regards,

Michael

Thanks for the kind words Michael.

I've got no patience for people that prey on others. I was young and powerless once, and I hate bullies.

One of the reasons I don't use my real name is no one spells it right. :cry:

Then again, I get all sorts of variations of Twickle Purple too! :lol:

Cheers,

Twinkie :D

I'm glad that there is this section for post-ETS/ESB, where we who have undergone the surgery can discuss it with each other. I enjoyed reading the above posts, and good luck all.

PS George: Love the teardrop, it looks great. I've seen them on TV, on the travel channel, and the people that use them are really fun and quirky!

VG, No harm done. It seems that the timing of my report was unfortunate. If someone really is using this forum to profit from someone's misfortune, that would be beyond unethical. Just one more reason for people considering ETS to do their homework and understand the procedure, the risks, and the short and long term effects.

Suzette, Thanks for the compliments. I saw the same program on TV and I think "quirky" is putting it mildly. :wink: George.

Thank you VG--(hope you do not mind the abbreviation!)--

Any kind words from yourself, TP and BB means that I have found a home here. Not only to vent and gather information--but hopefully inform and feel support when I have a down day! :)

It's a safe place to be, I'm so glad you chose to be here. :D

Sharing our ups and downs helps others who don't post, only lurk -- and there are many -- to not feel alone. I know it gave me the courage to talk about things when I had no one else to share the experience with. I lurked here for months before jumping in.

KOKOLOCO thanks for your post.

It is always great to hear from people who have had long-term success with ETS and very encouraging.

Do you know how many surgeries your surgeon has done to date by the way? I have been making a comprehensive list of the most experienced ones on my site and would like to add him if he has done over 100. Thanks.