Sign in to follow this  
janet

why clothes staining varies

Does anyone else experience different sweat staining of clothes at different times?

I wore a holiday blouse to a party, drenched the underarms (so what's new?), and left behind some nasty sweat rings. I laundered the blouse, wore it again, HHed just as much, and this time when it dried there was no stain at all!

If I could figure out why my HH stains sometimes and not others, my clothes would be very thankful, and so would I.

I think it is probably the amount of salt in the sweat. Also if you use an anitperspirant it may just come off in the sweat (used to ruin my clothes that way till I gave up on "ordinary" anti-ps).

Also maybe the rate at which it gets wet/dries could have an effect?

I had not applied antiP either time because it leaves permanent stains. Without antiP at least the rings come out in the wash.

Often I do get the white rings so salt may be partly to blame. I've tried looking at my recent diet, like if I ate lots of salty popcorn the prior day, but nothing matches well. It's a puzzle.

I've been watching this more closely and today for the first time in awhile I'm getting a stain ring. This is a blouse I've worn before since it was last laundered. Since I rarely get much odor with my HH, and hate to do laundry, I typically wear tops multiple times. Maybe what happens is the first time I wear something, I sweat and it does not leave a stain but does leave behind a thin layer of salt. The next time I wear it, the new wetness pushes the old salt outward to make a ring. I'll have to see if this happens again.

From the new Martha Stewart Homekeeping handbook she says for persp stains:

Saturate fresh stains with shampoo, then launder as usual.

For old stains, treat with an enzyme paste, let stand for 4 hours. Then launder as usual.

For whites, soak overnight in hot water/bleach, and then launder as usual.

To all of you well intentioned people on this forum...who come here seeking advice or to inform...

Suzette is a fraud who obviously needs attention. I pity him/her.

Once again, how truly pathetic and just really sad!! I hope he/she receives the help that is clearly needed :!:

The way to avoid clothes staining is to apply the solution at night, before you go to bed, make sure you've dried your armpits first. The solution won't be in contact with any clothes and the sweat should be calmer at night. Also use a hairdrier to dry your armpits once you've applied the solution. This reduces irritation and stops the solution dripping away.