jeff

HH and Driving

Hi, I'm a 15 year old with hand and feet hyperhidrosis and I will be getting my permit soon and was wondering does your HH really affect your driving? I haven't heard of a problem with this yet but for me, it's a huge fear of constantly sweating while on the wheel with having to constantly dry myself off or maybe even slip off the handle which can all result in a uncomfortable and possibly dangerous drive.

Jeff,

I think initially this sweat is inevitable. You are anxious, and understandably so. You are getting behind the wheel for the 1st time! As soon as you get a little more comfortable with driving...you will learn to cope with this just as I am sure you have learned to cope with so many other things(riding a bike, art class, typing class,etc.). This is what you have to do with HH. You will have many other challenges ahead of you, but it will make you a stronger person!

I am assuming that you are seeing a doctor to get to the best you can be with your HH. Have you tried Drysol, iontopheresis, etc.?

Good Luck, Jeff :)

I'm much more comfortable driving now my sweat is more or less under control. I used to sweat all over the steering wheel and my back would sweat loads too as no air could get to it. It was worse when I had others in the car with me, I didn't want them to see streams or sweat on the wheel. Also I found it made it hard to grip so I had to hold on really tight, which mad the sweat worse. I still have the fans pointed at my hands though.

Now I don't worry about it so much and don't often think about it unless I realise I am beginning to sweat.

I used to have very sweat hands before ETS. It never affected my driving, although it was very embarrassing. I always kept the AC pointed at my hands. I don't think people really notice it as much as we do though. So relax.

Well ever since I got sweaty hands sometimes when I let the wheel go so that it glides over my hand when coming out of a turn it does it a bit to quickly because of the sweat. Driving gloves can do wonders.