Sign in to follow this  
T4_Patient

Water Quality with Drionic (Iontophoresis) - Good News!

Hello Everyone -

Let me give you a brief history of my battle with hyperhidrosis. I've had horrible palmar hyperhidrosis since I can remember. So bad, both hands literally would drip to the floor under stress or warm conditions. So, I tried all the remedies (Drysol, anti-perspirents, beta-blockers, etc). which would work for a while, and then stop working. So, when I moved to Arizona, I tried the Drionic device and AMAZINGLY, it worked. It would keep my hands dry for weeks at a time and for the first time in my life, I knew what life was like without sweaty hands :-). Then, three years ago, my wife and I relocated to San Diego for a job and the Drionic quit working. I knew something had changed, but I thought maybe it was the stress of work and the higher humidity of the ocean breeze. So, after trying all the remedies, I pursued the T4-only ETS surgery and went through with it. It also has been a life-miracle, as the hands still sweat, but they no longer drip and I haven't had any bad side-effects from the "conservative" approach to ETS (rather than T3 or T2) - only mild conpensatory sweating on my back and stomach. On the other hand, the surgery did not prevent the hands from sweating enough to where I am still 100% comfortable in many situations. So, I decided to try Drionic again to see if it would work in conjunction with the surgery. I found out that adding baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) supposedly helped the iontophoresis work more efficiently from chats on this website. So, last night, I added a small amount (just a few sprinkles of baking soda just to add ions to the water) and AMAZINGLY, I could feel a MUCH stronger electrical pulse passing to my hands. Today, my hands are 100% dry again and I couldn't be happier. It appears the problem was the water quality in San Diego and adding Baking Soda really seems to be working! So, I've decided to purchase the MD-1a device from R.A. Fischer Company to increase the effectiveness even more and hopefully find the solution to my hyperhidrosis. I was debating going on for second ETS surgery (this time T3-only), but now I'm hoping the Iontophoresis will keep me content.

Hopefully this helps some of you struggling with this horrible disease. I've tried them all and I believe Iontophoresis has a chance to work for everyone, it just takes time and diligence.

Hi T4, great to hear that soda B has such an immediate impact for you. I intend to try it again although i did try adding a small spoonful of soda a couple of times previouslywhich somehow made the water more "soapy" but to no obvious effect on my Drionic machine ( i have recently bought a Idrostar unit which hopefully will give better results).

By the way, do you sweat all the time now (but to a lesser degree) or is it only during the daytime or does it come and go throughout?

You need to add the baking soda everytime you do it. Once or twice won't benefit you. Ionto takes a while to work in any case so you must be consistant with your treatments.

I think people dissmiss Ionto too quickly, there are various ways to alter the Ionto treatment, just like there are various other ways to treat HH.

You will not get instant results!

Good luck though :)

My hands and feet used to sweat almost 90% of the day before ETS. Now, after the T4-only surgery, my hands/feet only sweat maybe 10% of the day depending on heat and/or stress. The surgery cured about 80% of my sweating (what used to be very severe Palmar HH), and then the Drionic machine seems to cover the other 20% to keep my happy and dry.

Also, if the water feels "soapy", try using less baking soda. I also was adding too much baking soda a while back and got the slimy, water-film feel on the hands after the treatment. Now, I just merely sprinkle a few drops of baking soda into the water and that is plenty. Actually, just adding a few drops actually seems to work better. The chemistry of tap water is such that adding too many free ions (sodium bicarbonate atoms from the baking soda) will lessen the electrical conductivity of the water, while adding a few atoms will increase the electrical current greatly. You can actually see this yourself with two glasses of water, a battery, and a light bulb. If you first fill the cups with Distilled water and plug in the batteries to the cups with the light bulb electrical leads hanging in the water, the light will not come on. Now, if you add a few drops of salt to each side, the light will shine very brightly. If you continue to add salt, the brightness and electrical conductivity to the light bulb starts to diminish, until once again the light goes off with too much salt.

I figured that out by trial-and-error on my own part. I repeatedly used the Drionic with differing amounts of baking soda until I found the right amount, which is just a few sprinkles of baking soda. I remembered the "salt-lightbulb test from College chemistry class, so baking soda (which is just introducing free Sodium ions for electical conduction) should essentially work the same way. Not sure why salt doesn't increase the effectiveness of Drionic (I tried various levels of table salt with no apparent increase in efficiency), but Baking Soda definitely seems to be working for me. Maybe it has something to do with the Bicarbonate atoms, but I'm not 100% sure.

HI T4,

I am a T3 patient who suffered form HH(palms, underarms and feet). Since my surgery, my hands and underarms are cured and my feet are better! My facial HH and FB are improved, but still give me troubles, and I know that I still avoid because of my remaining FB. I think about returning for the T2 cut to cure my FB. I am scared of the CS though!

Just thought I would share...once you get happy with one thing, you want more...I used to say if only my underarms would stop sweating. Then I found my cure in Drysol. Then I had ETS and it cured my palm sweating and underarm sweating for good!!

I should probably consider myself lucky with the T3, but I can't help but wonder...could things be better??????????HMMMMMM......

T4,

Please let me know what amount of baking soda works for the Fischer when you receive it. I have that unit and I have a feeling I used too much baking soda (a teaspoon full in each tray).

Thanks.

Sixers -

With a lot of baking soda, I actually did not feel a lot of sensation. I believe too much baking soda caused the electrical conduction to go down, not increase over the standard tap water. I did another session of Drionic tonight and all I put into a pitcher of water (I then dunk the pads into the pitcher) was a few drop of baking soda - probabl about 1/4 teaspoon at most. You truly don't need much, just enough to get a few free ions roaming around in the water to transfer the electricity. Why don't you try the Fischer unit tomorrow with 1/4 teapoon of baking soda in each tray and let me know how it goes. I also have one on order and maybe we can find the best amount for the system together with both of us trying different amounts. I'm thinking the motto "less is better" will be the answer, but there is always room to improve to find the ideal amount.

Mchh - in reference to getting the T2 done, I would truly not recommend going for the excessive surgery :!: . The T2 nerve seems a very scary location to mess with in surgery, both for sweating and other bodily fuctions (such as the thyroid gland and hypothalmus in the brain), so I woult never try that nerve for myself. I agree with you and it seems that once something is fixed, I also obsess about something else - seems a part of my nature, to always find something to worry about. My wife is the same way, and she doesn't even have hyperhidrosis. When you talk to most people, EVERYONE worries about something on a daily basis - whether it's their weight, hair loss, job, etc. So, we just have to fix the things that truly inhibit us (such as horrible dripping hands) and then find ways to help the other things that bother us throughout the day, but aren't holding us back from being what we want to be. I still obsess about other things than my hands, it's just a part of who I am. :) I do believe that the physiology behind hyperhidrosis also causes us to have high rates of anxiety/stress - it's just part of our make-up. On the other hand, we're also not lazy slobs on the couch sleeping all day and trying to not make a difference for ourselves. If we didn't care about ourselves, we wouldn't be here discussing ways to make life better.

Can't you test the resistance of the water and compare results?

If T4 is getting good results, I guess we could aim for that resistance? Although the resistance may not be an indication of the minerals that actually do the work.

Thanks for the advice T4! As to the comment on our physiological makeup, is it your gut that we with HH suffer more anxiety than most?--Have you, or others ever read any medical articles that support that theory? :?:

I ask this because I absolutely believe that my anxiety level is much higher than those without HH--and not just because of the stress due to sweating. I would love to show any proof of this to my doctors.

Not sure, if you heat water up you are adding energy to it which may help electrons flow, then again, when you heat wire up the resistance increases because the atoms are jossling about, so maybe it makes it worse.

Maybe the my Irdostar manual says to use warm water just to make it more comfortable?

T4,

I have got a question - the Soda bicarbonate is supposed to increase conductivity, right- If, so can't we just increase the power of the voltage instead? Doesn't that increase conductivity as well? As it is, i cant tolerate higher than 12 amp on my Idrostar machine before it gets painful.

Mchh,

I am not sure if those who suffer from HH has higher anxiety levels. For me , i rate myself as slightly "above average " in terms of daily anxiety at work. But i know quite a few people whom one would describe as the " nervy' types but dont exhibit real signs of HH , eg wet handshake. By the way, i dont sweat ( in my palms or feet) at home or feeling comfortably relaxed unlike when at work.

The conductivity of the water will not change no matter how much power you put into it. If you increase the voltage you will receive a higher voltage. The water properties will be pretty much unaffected.

I've found the treatment to be a bit painful when I add bicarbonate of soda, this with the idrostar machine. It could just be my hands were a bit irritated so it hurt a bit more.

I haven't noticed any difference with regards to the water temperature, I tend to keep it mildly warm because when it's too cold it's uncomfortable. For the most effective treatments I use around 10 or 11mA for 15 minutes on each polarity.

I was wondering, for anyone else with foot sweating, do you sweat a lot on and above the arc of the inside of your feet? I'm finding this a real pain to deal with. I have to fill the tray pretty deep and twist my foot slightly in the tray so the water reaches it. Anyone else have this problem?

Pinker.. same issue I think. the lowest part of my foot seems to have gotten dry.. but some areas are not because the trays are not deep enough for me to keep my feet off the bottom of the tray.

G'day.

I've got a real love/hate with my Idromed.

At the moment, I've got my hands and feet dry again, I've been using 4mg of Avert tablets in each tray.

I treat my hands and feet at the same time, 30 minutes every second day. I've found that I only achieve dryness when I use 18-21mA (in some cases higher, if I can tolerate it). It does hurt along the water line and I sometimes get mild burns but to combat that I coat up the problem areas (Usually on the thumb, along the water line) with heaps and heaps of petroleum jelly.

I do hope to still achieve dryness with plain water or just baking soda, because the Avert tablets are just too pricey and it is hard on the pocket to keep buying them.

Pinker, I have that problem too reaching that part of the foot.

I think one of the keys as T4 mentioned is not too use too much baking soda. In the beginning I was using too much baking soda, and seeing no effect. I have used a lot less and its working, or at least working so far.. we'll see.

Pinker.. same issue I think. the lowest part of my foot seems to have gotten dry.. but some areas are not because the trays are not deep enough for me to keep my feet off the bottom of the tray.

Yeah that's the problem. The sides and the upper heal of my foot still get wet. The only solution I can think of is to buy a large enough plastic container and just place the metal plate sideways in to avoid submerging the cable. :?

Jimmy, I use the Fischer md-1a.. i fill up the tray so the electrode is submerged.

I would say I use 1/5 - 1/6 of a teaspoon.. yes its very little, but water always has minerals in it.. sometimes it jut needs a boost. My thinking is that too much baking soda makes the ionto less effective or sometimes ineffective if you use too much.

I am not sure yet.. but it looks like my fingers are getting dry.. I will keep everyone updated.