Sign in to follow this  
zinedine

ETS surgery statistics by surgeon

Hello, I have created a new page where you can track how many ETS surgeries have done by various surgeons around the world.

http://www.no-ets.com/surgeons.html

Also check out:

http://www.no-ets.com/choosingasurgeon.html

In most cases, alternative non-surgical treatments should work (at least to some extent) in treating hyperhidrosis in my opinion. However, for those who find no relief and have decided that surgery is a certainty, the above two links will hopefully help and they contain more honest and accurate information than what you read on biased surgeon websites.

Thanks Suzette and Twickle!

Some surgeons have shied away from providing me with their totals so I had to make educated guesses based on studies they authored or otherwise. If you notice any discrepancies or missing surgeons, please let me know.

Perhaps you and others can also post your ETS stories in the ETS testimonials section over there in the forums with as much detail as possible (ganglion cut/clamped, surgeon name, date of surgery, changes in side effects over the years, cost you or insurance paid etc...). I don't care if it is negative or positive, and I will delete personal attacks in the threads.

Hi Zinedine,

I have not had ETS. It it something that I am considering, and this is where your list and links are very helpful. I am aware of so many different experiences with doctors, outcomes and side effects. This is huge decision. I have read that folks have had reversals and regard that as a potential safety net.

You are very helpful. Thank you.

Twickle Purple

TP and all,

If you are indeed considering ETS...my advice is to seek help from a major teaching hospital. In my case it was Dr. Gorenstein at Columbia University in NYCity. I went for the consult, and I had to pursue the surgery, the appt's, etc. There was nobody coming after me to do this. My insurance did cover the procedure, thankfully.

That said, I understand your reluctance---as it is a big decision...I think particularly for nonsweaters prior to surgery.

Thanks mchh.

Sweety posted about a surgeon in Toronto, and said that she had no issues with CS post ETS. I need to learn if there are shared physiological characteristics that predisposes us to certain side-effects. I have been (mostly recently) hearing the positive stories about ETS –– here and elsewhere. My odyssey has just begun!

Sweety's surgeon, Dr. Spratt, seems very ethical. Despite performing ETS since 1992, he has done far fewer surgeries than many guys who started in 2000.

He has rejected over two-thirds of his patients per his e-mail to me.

However, I am not sure if he still practices at the U of Toronto Hospital (or anywhere for that matter).

Because some patients have minor sweating for which ETS is not necessary, some have never tried alternative treatments, some patients have social phobia/Raynaud's Syndrome/Causalgia etc...(for which ETS is not recommended, but is still performed by some surgeons), some surgeons reject patients who have facial blushing (as ETS doesn't always cure that problem) etc....

An ethical surgeon doesn't perform ETS on whoever wants it! Some only offer it for palmar sweating these days.

Dr. Telaranta told me that he performs it at times for people with social phobia who are depressed and recusive (maybe even suicidal)....he said something like justifies ETS.

Thanks, Zinedine.

I've been looking into this further, and your reply cinches what I've learned -- I am not a candidate. I appreciate your help, and your great efforts to collect this information! You are making a difference.

Thank you.

Twickle Purple

Good work , Zinedine.

As for Norway, ETS surgery is now common and is performed at several clinics, public and private.

The number of patients could now be around 2000, off which several

hundred had surgery in Sweden. (Yes, ETS is now stoped in Sweden).

Iow. at least 1000 have had ETS in Norway so far, increasing with 150-200 each year.

I have been told (by the Aker-clinic) that people now are coming over from Sweden to Norway to have ETS.