Sign in to follow this  
Twickle Purple

What are you reading?

I like lot's of different things, this weekend I had a nice light snack:

12 Sharp. Janet Evanovich's new Stephanie Plum adventure. Definitely Chick Lit. She's the only writer that can set up such hilarity with believability that I will howl out loud. Startles the poor DH.

OMG! I'm sooo busted! :oops:

I could lie about what I'm reading but I'd rather tell the truth whenever possible...because then there's always less to blush about! :roll:

"Sperm Wars: The Science of Sex" by Robin Baker, Ph.D.

A prof from University of Manchester, England actually! I just finished it about 20 minutes ago. Fascinating! It's the "Kinsey Report" of the new millenium.

"Feel the fear and do it anyway" - by Susan jeffers

Best book I never read. Someone gave me a copy years and years ago. I put it in the 'library' and would just contemplate the meaning of it. It is truly my call to arms!

Anyone ever read Iain Pears' "An instance of the fingerpost"?

Anyone ever read Iain Pears' "An instance of the fingerpost"?

Yes. I love Iain Pears! I was glued to that book for about 3 days and practically speaking with an English accent by the time I was finished! Excellent, imo. I read it about 4 years ago, I believe.

I'm a very fast reader and I'm often a little sad at the end when I finish most books in one or two sittings. This one made me pause and take my time. However, I recommended to a friend and she couldn't even get to the third chapter, so I think that it's definitely an acquired taste.

Have you tried Pears' "The Dream of Scipio" yet? I think that I'll be buying it. :D

Nothing to interesting - 'Bach and the Patterns of Invention'

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/DREBAP.html

Its pretty dry reading to be honest. Not nearly as much nuts and bolts info as I thought. But relevant to me atleast.

""Sperm Wars: The Science of Sex" by Robin Baker, Ph.D. "

Well now VG, I hope you dont read that before dinner. Sounds like strictly a night time read to me!

BB

Oh, no... Bedtime reading is always something by Pablo Neruda. My bedside table, right now has Neruda's "Odes to Common Things" on it.

Sigh. How can such wonderful feelings be sensed by such common things? Pablo Neruda is a master in poetry. Or at least, no true South American will let you say otherwise! :lol:

Enciclopedia de la Vespa,a enciclopedia about the Vespa scooter and its history in spanish,this months Muy Interesante,a spanish pseudo scientific magazine,and National Geographic in Spanish.In english i am reading Classic and Sports car magazine. :roll: I read about 8-10 books a year,most of my reading comes from the +- 2000 magazine pages i read every month. :roll:

The laser therapy handbook. 580+ pages of 5 point type. :shock: I need better glasses.

Omg, TP! My book club is accepting suggestions this week. Shall I submit this title? Then, we will all have to read it and discuss our different opinions on it. Sounds fascinating! :wink:

Vicky, I think that is an excellent suggestion! Then I can just get the full report and save getting permanently crossed eyes reading the weeee type! :D

Here's the link where I bought it:

http://www.prima-books.com/LaserTherapyHandbook.php

Mostly it is a condensed compilation of studies and scientific literature, and one heck of a huge bibliography. It's relevant for me right now because I'm embarking on what I hope is a LLLT journey to healing. I want to do it right. I've invested in a few different types of equipment and my hubby is going to be my test monkey. :lol:

Hi im just finishing off the night shift by sarah waters,just luv her writing .real cosy read.B4 that wuthering hieghts was a nice read.didnt realise heathcliff was such a ***?!! .

my next book staring at me on the shelf is the new peggy lee biography.

Might check out the Ian pears ...right spelling? sounds interesting.

Pretty pink,

Wasn't "Wuthering Heights" just beautiful, though? I read it when I was 13 and was just overwhelmed by the story. As soon as I finished the last page, I went right back to the first. Sigh. Heathcliff...so tortured! :cry:

I highly recommend Ian Pears. Peggy Lee Biography? Let me know how you like it!

Right now, I'm finishing "The Things That Matter: What Seven Classic Novels Have to Say About the Stages of Life" by Edward Mendelson. What a pleasure! :D

Hey BB,

I'll let you borrow my copy! :wink: I also happen to hate "regular" economics but this book (Freakonomics) is really fun. It will change your viewpoint on several statistics... I enjoyed it very much. I read it about a year ago?

I just finished all Giles Blunt's books. If I find an author I like, I go buy all the books they've written. Some turn out to be one note wonders. :?

I started with Black Fly Season, then 40 Words for Sorrow, A Delicate Storm and finally, By the Time You Read This.

This author writes in a Canadian setting (northern ontario), something I find takes a bit to get used to, oddly enough as I am from Canadiana. An excellent story teller, his style is clean and efficient. He ably conjures the details and scenes with a minimum of words. I recommend him.

Well...i think that we are not going to do the calendar this year in the end. The main problem with the calendar is the cost of doing a short run of calendars, that makes it rather expensive, even without a profit for charity.. :roll: :roll:

I am now reading Survival Lexicom by Rudiger Nehberg in Spanish (in my office..), plus this months Classic and Sportscars (in the bathroom), plus National Geographic (on short motorbike trips up the mountains..), plus Muy Interesante (in my bedroom..) :twisted: :twisted:

Survival Lexicom is quite interesting. Very funny some parts of it. I do not know if you can get it in English. Its about survival, making rafts, bringing babbies to the world, hunting, finding water in the desert, etc ..and i have to read to prepare myself for the REALLY BIG TRIP... :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: